Blackpool vs Newcastle United

Tom

I always fear the worst when I see all the media interviews with our players patting themselves on the back like I did in the couple of days. That and Butt. Blackpool did hammer Wigan in the cup and aren't a bad side for this division. We do need a bit more meat on the bones though. You can't rely on the same small squad all season, even though they've done well so far.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brought back down to earth, it seems. This was one of the games I feared the lads wouldn't really be up for, coming in midweek after a (fairly tepid) Sunday match, and away at a shithole like Blackpool. Better that we get this loss while it's still early doors, especially with one of our outstanding players suspended, and that we regroup and push on for the weekend game.

Its telling that we concede 2 when Smith is out - not sure that set up of the midfield and attack was right seemed like he swapped Nolan with Guthrie upfront because Nolan didn't have the legs - just invited constant pressure - bollocks anyhow cause the smoggies will be fuckin lovin it

Nicky Butt he missing link to our ability to lose?

Seriously he was one of the stalwarts in our side last year, first game bakc this year and we fall over. Obviously it's not all him, but he seems to offer so little.

Not the end of the world.

A lot of people predicted this and I suppose our players aren't used to playing in shit holes with 9'000 very loud worked up people filling the stands.

Plymouth on Saturday should get us back on track.

Oh and ACCADACCA!!!

:D

The defeat is not what is worrying me, it had to come sometime. The important thing is to bounce straight back on Saturday and prevent a bad run in terms of results. You're so quickly out of the top six in this league, so three winless games and our situation would look much different. Just get the three points on Sat and we'll be fine again.

Saturdays game is huge now like.

Especially as it's bloody bottom team Plymouth - hope the boys got the message tonight.

Seriously he was one of the stalwarts in our side last year, first game bakc this year and we fall over. Obviously it's not all him, but he seems to offer so little.

Nicky Butt brings nothing to the team other than fouls, bad passes and ginger hair.

The first black mark against Hughton this season for me starting with one up front. As I said over on N-O if you're going to play one man up top then someone who can hold the ball up is preferable to someone whose strength is flicking the ball on.

Edited by Ketsbaia

Were always going to lose sooner or later, just as the Smogs have and West Brom will, we just need to bounce back against Plymouth and follow that up with doing what we have been doing up until tonight.

Smith was a big loss clearly, i think he's vital to the pressing, destructive game we've been playing away from home to stop other teams finding any rhythm.

I expect us to comfortably win on saturday and we'll see what the other 2 at the top have done and it could all be looking good again. But hopefully this defeat will shake any hint of complacency if it had crept in there after our flying start.

I fully expected a little prick would burst the bubble in Cardiff, but it didn't happen.

I did not expect the bubble to be burst in Blackpool, but you can always expect the unexpected with Newcastle. :D

goes to show how much the squad needs extra numbers. the warning signs were there on sunday against cardiff

It wasn't the numbers that lost it tonight, it was a poor midfield. Butt and Barton have the quality to dominate a midfield - they just failed to do it tonight.

Nicky Butt brings nothing to the team other than fouls, bad passes and ginger hair.

The first black mark against Hughton this season for me starting with one up front. As I said over on N-O if you're going to play one man up top then someone who can hold the ball up is preferable to someone whose strength is flicking the ball on.

Couldn't agree more. Carroll won lots tonight - but his headers went absolutely nowhere. And Nolan was too lazy to play off him.

Butt was alright for 20 minutes but then got overrun in the centre. We badly missed Smithy tonight.

Big win for Blackpool. Not the end of the world for us.

We definitely missed Smith today and I think we are really missing Guti too as he seems to at least offer a threat going forward (even if his crossing is miss more than hit).

Geremi is fucking useless. I can only assume he can get himself into an offside position because he's still trying to track back from the previous attack. That seemed to be his only contribution whilst on the pitch.

We have nothing to offer on the right wing and little more on the left atm.

To be fair, Geremi did alright for a while tonight, save for one poor cross. He was offside because Blackpool were playing aa ridiculous offside trap for the last five minutes...Carroll and Ranger also got caught by it.

You're right that, we need Smith and Guti back.

All I'm hoping is that the worst that'll come out of this is the teasing I'll get from the West Brom fan I have here at work.

Come the weekend, the fact is that no matter what the result is between WBA v Boro, it'll work some way in our favour.

We gotta bounce back at SJP and at least be in second place come the end of the weekend.

The lads have to make sure this is the lowest we ever go in the table.

Ultimately lost to a team who were more up for it by the sounds. Sounds like they dominated from the start. Somehow we managed to get ahead, but on the balance they deserved the win.

I think it was probably a mistake to put Butt in a starting position given he's just returned from injury and would not be match fit. The temptation was obvious as he plays in the same area as Smith, though Smith has been able to succefully mark opposing players out of games on several occassions. I don't think that is something that Butt is capable of. Difference is that Smith is proactive and Butt is reactive (though Smith is also reative when it comes to making tackles).

Thankfully Smith is back for the weekends match, straight back into the side with Butt and Barton dropped and bring Ranger on from the start alongside Carroll. If we play with one striker at home I won't be happy.

I have to question Hughton a bit on this Blackpool one.

(1) I'm an old-timer who goes along with the adage "Never change a winning team" so why did he drop the 'Lone Ranger' and put in someone coming off an injury??

(2) Granted one change had to be made because of Smith's suspension.

(3) But why Butt as a replacement rather than Lua-Lua or someone else with legs, energy, and pace??

(4) Is he reluctant or afraid to blood young lads?? preferring to go with very experienced old cart horses who should may belong in the knacker's yard.

(5) And why does he persist in playing a lone striker who has no one to play-off to or play on-to when there is no creative midfield to provide service??