Peterborough United 2-0 Newcastle United (League Cup R3)

Tom

I want most of our key players rested for this and the kids given a game. I'd possibly play one of Colo or Taylor for a bit of experience at CB, and maybe Raylor at RB, but rest one of our CB's and Enrique, because if he gets injured we have no senior LB.

Lovenkrands and Butt need the game time to get match fit and Barton should play for me as he wouldnt be in my first choice lineup at all on current form and maybe this might get him going.

I'd prob go with:

-------------------------Krul

Raylor------Taylor/Colo---Kadar----------Tozer

Lovenkrands------Barton-----Butt--------Lua Lua

------------Ranger--------Vukic

Other option would be Geremi on the right and Lovenkrands given a run out up front instead of Vukic if we wanted a bit more experience, but i'm happy to chuck the kids in myself.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DARREN Ferguson believes Posh have now proved they can beat any side in the Championship at London Road, including the biggest of them all, Newcastle United in the Carling Cup tonight (7.45pm).

The Posh boss insists a repeat of Saturday's second-half display against Reading would be good enough to clinch a place in the last 16 for the first time since the club's glory run past Newcastle and Liverpool to the quarter-finals in the 1991-92 campaign.

Ferguson is a big fan of Newcastle's team and their passionate fans, but he has great confidence in his own squad, especially after they turned a 2-0 half-time deficit against Reading into a 3-2 win.

Ferguson said: "We showed what we are all about in the second half on Saturday and to be honest a performance like that had been coming.

"Now it's important we kick on and prove it wasn't a one-off. We couldn't have a much harder tie than facing an in-form Newcastle side, but if we carry on from where we left off against Reading we can beat anyone.

"We've all been looking forward to tonight since the draw was made. Newcastle are a massive club with the best fans in football.

"A great atmosphere is guaranteed and these are the games everyone wants to play in and win. Certainly it's a big game and an important competition for us and I'm sure Newcastle will be treating it just the same.

"They are a quality side at this level and they have started the season superbly well, especially considering what's been going on at the club.

"They have momentum behind them which makes them even more dangerous, but I'm confident Saturday was a turning point for us and that we can get on a winning run."

Ferguson may start with the players who did most to turn a likely loss into a first Championship win of the season. Midfielders Dean Keates and Lee Frecklington are vying for a starting place which may well arrive if the manager decides to employ a diamond formation from the first whistle.

Left-back Jamie Day could also start as Ferguson is understood to be unhappy with some aspects of Tommy Williams' display against Reading.

Ferguson added: "The formation we finished with against Reading is certainly one I would be happy to start with in the right circumstances.

"It definitely helps our more creative players, particularly George Boyd who plays more centrally and sees more of the ball as a result. Our front two enjoy having George right behind them as well.

"But systems mean nothing if you can't keep possession so it's important we don't get carried way with what happened against Reading."

Posh have no injury worries now that midfielder Pail Coutts has shrugged off the dead leg he picked up on Saturday, although winger Chris Whelpdale is likely to be rested.

Club officials are hoping to attract a crowd close to a full house of 14,000. Posh had sold more than 6,500 tickets by close of business yesterday, while Newcastle had shifted 2,500, but admission can be gained at the turnstiles.

Newcastle will be without on-loan Manchester United full-back Danny Simpson who picked up an ankle injury on Saturday.

Fellow loanee Zurab Khizanishvili, signed from Blackburn last week, is ineligible having already played for Rovers in the competiton this season.

Clearly touting himself for the manager's job :huh:

I honestly couldn't care less about this cup, promotion is the key and our squad really isn't big enough to piss around. I'm not normally that bothered about it so this season I'll make a special effort not to be overly fussed.

So if we get beat the ''Omg!1 peterborough beat you!1'' brigade might turn out but I'm not that fussed.

Play the youth all the way through the cup run, like a mini Arsenal!

Krul

R.Taylor Kadar Tozer Tavernier

Donaldson Butt Barton Lua Lua

Vuckic Ranger

?

to be honest I've got no idea, just a crap shoot :huh:

Who the fucks Tavernier??? ;) Is he related to Jules?

I don't have the heart to do it but 7/4 looks a big price for Peterborough with that side out. I think we should play our best team to be honest and try and get as far as we can, we have 4,000 fans there tonight, it may be unrealistic to think we can have a cup run, but I certainly want us to win. I think reading the paper today certain players are almost welcoming a defeat, and even Hughton's comments are somewhat downbeat.

Very disappointed that we are playing a weakened team tonight although no one else seem to be bothered- we used to have a tradition in cup competitions - looks like we're the new Bolton Wanderers

You cant say that mate, we all want a good cup run, we all want a bit of excitement along the way to wembly BUT we all want promotion much more than a flickering glimmer of hope in any cups.

Priorities.

Come next season when we are back in the EPL then and only then will we all be rooting for an extended cup run.

Is see the cups as a perfect way to blood the youngsters and give a few 1st teamers a bit of confidence.

Bolton?.....fuck off man.

Our allocation is 2,286 and you can still buy tickets at the turnstyles :huh:

The Peterborough website reckon as of Saturday we'd sold 2,500, and Moyes terrace which is where we will be, a terrace I've stood on, holds 4,000.

Edited by Stevie

The Peterborough website reckon as of Saturday we'd sold 2,500, and Moyes terrace which is where we will be, a terrace I've stood on, holds 4,000.

It says as of Monday we've sold 'nearly 2,000'

But aye, the allocaiton on the Boro site says 4,200 but the Newcastle site reckons we only have 2,200 odd

Edited by JonGoodwyn

But aye, the allocaiton on the Boro site says 4,200 but the Newcastle site reckons we only have 2,200 odd

Which Newcastle site?

Which Newcastle site?

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Lates...1755769,00.html

Which Newcastle site?

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Lates...1755769,00.html

Ticket Sale Dates

Season Ticket Holder Sale Period 3 - 9 September

Toon Army 12th Man Sale Period 10 - 13 September

Ticket Allocation Period 14 - 15 September

General Sale Period 16 September

That's been up for 3 weeks. Peterborough paper said on Saturday there's 2500 gone, but that was up ages ago as you can tell by the TS dates.

Aye, i know its been up ages but its been recently updated, and is the most up-to-date ticket thing on the website, so I assumed it was correct. Posh website said yesterday there was just under 2,000 gone.

Anyway, I hope you're right (you probably are) as Im getting a ticket there as the online boxoffice isn't working for cup games

Krul

R.Taylor Kadar Tozer Tavernier

Donaldson Butt Barton Lua Lua

Vuckic Ranger

?

to be honest I've got no idea, just a crap shoot :huh:

Who the fucks Tavernier??? ;) Is he related to Jules?

I don't have the heart to do it but 7/4 looks a big price for Peterborough with that side out. I think we should play our best team to be honest and try and get as far as we can, we have 4,000 fans there tonight, it may be unrealistic to think we can have a cup run, but I certainly want us to win. I think reading the paper today certain players are almost welcoming a defeat, and even Hughton's comments are somewhat downbeat.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Acade...1389720,00.html

0,,10278~3814372,00.gif

Fucking hell he looks young :rolleyes:

Just read that Carroll, Enrique and Colo are all carrying knocks are wont be in the squad. That being said i think we mite just see that young lad Tavernier tonight, him or Tozer.

I think Hughton will go for something not too disimilar to this...

---Krul---

---Raylor---Saylor---Kadar/Tozer---Taverner/Kadar---

---Geremi---Butt---Barton---Lua-Lua---

----Ranger---Vuckic----

why are people putting Vuckic down as a forward?

I know he came on as an injury time sub when there was no one else, but he plays left midfield normally — at least whenever I’ve seen him play for Slovenia U19s.

:huh: You get to many of their games like