Who's your favourite foreign team?

Guest Stevie

Local team for me is Sydney FC. They're not exactly a likeable bunch though, but I support them simply because they're my local team. Standard of football is quite frankly pretty shoddy. Probably around League One standard.

I went to the Sydney v Newcastle game the other day and unfortunately it wasn't even league 1 standard. The Darlo of last season would have right royally fucked both of them. There is better football played at State level in this country.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, the only other team is my hometown team: Perth Glory. Fully-paid member and attend all home matches.

As with me, another team doing better than expected while playing rubbish - most of the time. The Dave Mitchell connection is interesting, but I was scared when they started mentioning a Steve McMahon link to the Toon :lol::o

A quick question to the A-League followers here (and I'm one of them): Do you think that the standard of footy is worse from the last few seasons?

As a Glory supporter, I have to agree that we've won despite our playing but that a win is a win.

However, overall, I don't think that the quality is any better or worse than the last few years (and at least the competition is closer) ... and yet the crowd levels are really down at the moment.

I think scheduling might have something to do with it, and very soon it may get better with the finish of the AFL and NRL seasons.

Just throwing the question out there.

More like LA Quiet Squad.

The Timbers Army here in Portland are head and shoulders above 95% of the supporters groups in the US.

Good for you :lol:

Anyway I'm looking forward to have Portland and Vancouver in the MLS.

Both teams and supporters certainly will add a lot of good stuff to MLS, wheter that's derbys, local rivaleries or general atmosphere.

Edited by Ben7

I think being a football fan you tend to pick loads of foreign teams to watch out for to make it interesting, especially when you go abroad. Therefore I tend to favour Barcelona (went to the Nou Camp when I was a bairn and when you consider I'd only been to SJP and we had two open ends back then I thought it was the size of a small country), Olympiakos, Sparta Prague, and Fiorentina. Now, I'm more than aware that both Olympiakos and Sparta play in red and white, but it's just the way things have gone..

I think being a football fan you tend to pick loads of foreign teams to watch out for to make it interesting, especially when you go abroad. Therefore I tend to favour Barcelona (went to the Nou Camp when I was a bairn and when you consider I'd only been to SJP and we had two open ends back then I thought it was the size of a small country), Olympiakos, Sparta Prague, and Fiorentina. Now, I'm more than aware that both Olympiakos and Sparta play in red and white, but it's just the way things have gone..

do people actually care when other teams that aren't the mackems play in red and white?

I enjoy Barcelona but I wouldn't say I support them, I just find their brand of football the most appealing to the eye, its the way football should be played.

What he said!

Think the Ibrahimovic, Eto'o will turn out a very good move.

Looking like a horrendous move at the minute. Ive seen 3 or 4 Barca games this season and hes fluffed chances in all of them

I enjoy Barcelona but I wouldn't say I support them, I just find their brand of football the most appealing to the eye, its the way football should be played.

What he said!

Looking like a horrendous move at the minute. Ive seen 3 or 4 Barca games this season and hes fluffed chances in all of them

Apart from Francesco Totti the most overrated player of the last 25 years.

Haha. Fucking clueless.

What he said!

What he said!

Apart from Francesco Totti the most overrated player of the last 25 years.

Haha. Fucking clueless.

How? People are talking about him being the best player in the world, he's fuckin shite. Your nana could score 4 in 4 in that team.

How? People are talking about him being the best player in the world, he's fuckin shite. Your nana could score 4 in 4 in that team.

You do normally know your stuff but on this score you're talking out of your arse. Oh and it's 5 in 5 btw :lol:

do people actually care when other teams that aren't the mackems play in red and white?

I have to admit, if i'm watching two "neutral" teams, and one's in red & white, I'll support the other team.

Silly, but when did logic ever apply to football ?

A quick question to the A-League followers here (and I'm one of them): Do you think that the standard of footy is worse from the last few seasons?

As a Glory supporter, I have to agree that we've won despite our playing but that a win is a win.

However, overall, I don't think that the quality is any better or worse than the last few years (and at least the competition is closer) ... and yet the crowd levels are really down at the moment.

I think scheduling might have something to do with it, and very soon it may get better with the finish of the AFL and NRL seasons.

I think the fact that every game is shown live on TV does not help with the crowds, but things may pick up with the weather and the lack of alternative, especially in Perth. The crowds are creeping up at home, although that seems to be on the back of free tickets for kids and the lack of any decent facilities does not help.

As to standard, I think it is pretty poor. There seems no urgency. Even watching the CC Championship shows what a gulf there is, never mind the Premiership!

I'm a Victory supporter, been to a few games this year and crowds have definitely been down so far, but I think it is due to the AFL and NRL seasons and also that we haven't really had any of the big crowd pulling matches v. Syd and Adelaide. Would be surprised if crowd numbers don't pick up in the coming weeks. Don't think the quality has varied at all though, although i've sat through some fairly ordinary games this year.

I'm a Victory supporter, been to a few games this year and crowds have definitely been down so far, but I think it is due to the AFL and NRL seasons and also that we haven't really had any of the big crowd pulling matches v. Syd and Adelaide. Would be surprised if crowd numbers don't pick up in the coming weeks. Don't think the quality has varied at all though, although i've sat through some fairly ordinary games this year.

what's an average for attendances , lads?

Guest Stevie
Nolan had 4 in 2. He must be the best-best player in the world. :D

Nolan's had 5 in 10.

Zlatan's had 5 in 5, in a superior league.

I find it easier on the eye, but there's no way it's definitively superior. There are better defenders in England than there are in Spain. Over the years Barcelona have put 5's and 6's past the likes of Real, Atletico, Sevilla, Valencia and Villarreal, their best effort against and English side in living memory was beating Man Utd 2-0. It's harder to score here than any other league in Europe.

Nolan's had 5 in 10.

I find it easier on the eye, but there's no way it's definitively superior. There are better defenders in England than there are in Spain. Over the years Barcelona have put 5's and 6's past the likes of Real, Atletico, Sevilla, Valencia and Villarreal, their best effort against and English side in living memory was beating Man Utd 2-0. It's harder to score here than any other league in Europe.

I'm sure Barca blitzed Man Utd 4-0 in the Nou Camp. Back when the rules were strict about foreigners so Schmeichel never played. Romario and Stoitchkov absolutely tore Pallister a new on that night.

Nolan's had 5 in 10.

I meant in comparison to the Championship tbf.

Guest Stevie

Nolan's had 5 in 10.

I'm sure Barca blitzed Man Utd 4-0 in the Nou Camp. Back when the rules were strict about foreigners so Schmeichel never played. Romario and Stoitchkov absolutely tore Pallister a new on that night.

Aye but that was over 15 years ago and almost out of the context of modern football. Gary Walsh was a shit keeper, but he wasn't to blame that night. The Premiership at that time was probably no better than the fourth or fifth league in Europe.

Guest Stevie

Nolan's had 5 in 10.

I meant in comparison to the Championship tbf.

Oh ok.