Interest in Beckford?

wykikitoon

I think anyone would take an exchange of Geremi for Beckford (though they're completely different positions of course). If Hughton wants him and Ashley's prepared to greenlight the move I think we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth and should move for him. If it doesn't work out we're in a better position than we were with Geremi (lower wages, younger player) and I'm sure there would be plenty of interest from other Championship (or League one) clubs who want a proven scorer at that level that we could sell him on to without losing any/much money if things don't work out.

Good post. Compared to the fortunes we've wasted in recent years (Owen , Luque, etc) Beckford represnts little risk. Every chance he will bag goals in the Championship while the premiership would be a gamble. But if it works great, if it doesn't his scoring record would mean we could offload fairly easily providing we don't give him a "stupid" contract - unlikely in the current circumstances.

Tell you what kids rate him or don't rate him but the venom in some posts on here is pathetic. Give yourselves a slap. "He's a cunt, hes shit hes........a player who has scored a lot of goals at a lower level and so clubs including Newcastle are wondering whether he is worth a gamble. Same scenario has played out many, many times down the decades and always will be. If he signs, get behind the lad and give him a chance, if he doesn't, life goes on. I'm crazy I know............

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never scored in the CCC for leeds, admittedly he only had 10 appearances

we've all been shocked by the drop in quality of opposition this season compared to even the lower PL teams who is really expecting him to make the step up?

all I'm seeing is the possibility of us signing a player (and knowing this board) losing one already here and expecting him to be a disruption to what seems a comfortable dressing room at the moment, aside from barton sat in the corner muttering to himself

Edited by Andrew

He's only been a professional for a couple of years, hasn't he? If so, then no surprise he wasn't banging them in in the Ccc at the time.

As someone has mentioned. He's a gamble, but compared to some of the money we've pissed away down the years and the type of player we can/cannot attract, it may well be worth it.

We just have to stick to our guns with Beckford, which I think is what Hughton intends to do. Not be swayed by recent media, or Leeds talk of him not being able to go on the cheap. We're in the position of power. Set a limit on what we're willing to offer and a limit on the wages he would earn. If Leeds keep him then good luck to them. If he doesn't sign a new contract with them, they've potentially missed out on a hefty sum of money for not having a players services for less than 6 months (and who knows he could get an injury and be missing for a large chunk of that).

Is he worse than Carroll, Shola and the rest? Probably not. does he have pace? Yes.

Sign him up

totally agree. we are fuckin desperate for some real pace in the team, and especially so in attack so why not?

She knows her stuff :D

:icon_lol:

Ok... You win.

:rolleyes:

Btw, apart from having a face the would curdle milk, didn't she predict Ipswich would win the Championship while we would go down?

Ok... You win.

Btw, apart from having a face the would curdle milk, didn't she predict Ipswich would win the Championship while we would go down?

Really? I know The Times predicted us to go down, didnt realise she did too.

I have a vague recollection of something. I thought it was in The Guardian but it might have even been The Times. The bit about her face is definitely accurate though.

Ok... You win.

She said Ipswitch would be promoted and that we would flirt with relegation iirc

stupid bint............... :rolleyes:

Just read all 7 pages and this thread reminds me a lot of the Anelka thread where deluded people think we can do much better.

Not that I don't agree we could do better than Beckford if the money was available and with a bit of ambition, but as long as Ashley is here and sticking with a coach who'll be out of his depth in the top flight, you have to realise we won't be spending £10m on any striker of real quality.

Is he worse than Carroll, Shola and the rest? Probably not. does he have pace? Yes.

Sign him up

totally agree. we are fuckin desperate for some real pace in the team, and especially so in attack so why not?

I'll tell you,

Beckford is shite when it comes to ball control, holding the ball up and reading the game...Oh and usually his attitude stinks...

But two things he has got is pace and knows how to finish, out of 5 chances he'll bag one for certain...

Just thought i'd give you a heads up from someone who watches him week in week out.

I'll tell you,

Beckford is shite when it comes to ball control, holding the ball up and reading the game...Oh and usually his attitude stinks...

But two things he has got is pace and knows how to finish, out of 5 chances he'll bag one for certain...

Just thought i'd give you a heads up from someone who watches him week in week out.

Week in week out against dog shite defences.

If we get promoted and Beckford is our choice striker there is NO way he will cope against the likes of Terry, Cech, Given etc

Simples!

I'll tell you,

Week in week out against dog shite defences.

If we get promoted and Beckford is our choice striker there is NO way he will cope against the likes of Terry, Cech, Given etc

Simples!

Totally agree, he'll be good in CCC but in premiership he'll be a sub more often than not...

Don't think anyone rates him as a world beater though. HF is right when he says we're unlikely to do better and those who point to the lack of pace in the side are also correct in saying he'll give us something different upfront in regard to that. I also get the feeling some people will be gutted if he does well for us :D

Shhhhh alex :icon_lol:

If we get him for £1m its an ok deal, but Ive heard £4m, no fucking way!

£4m for a league one player with 5 months left on his contract? What total bullshit :D

Can we not get a pacey and strong central midfielder who can pass the ball?

Our need for a striker is as much borne out of our inability to provide the current lot with enough decent chances than their ability. We dont exploit Lovenkrands pace when he plays so without changing the style of play in midfield, not sure how Beckford's pace will be a massive asset to us.

I'd rather have Snodgrass than Beckford but thats not based on much evidence, he had a cracker against Liverpool in the CC.

Our need for a striker is as much borne out of our inability to provide the current lot with enough decent chances than their ability. We dont exploit Lovenkrands pace when he plays so without changing the style of play in midfield, not sure how Beckford's pace will be a massive asset to us.

I'd rather have Snodgrass than Beckford but thats not based on much evidence, he had a cracker against Liverpool in the CC.

No, because of the expense. Simple as that really. Beckford's only on the radar because he's cheap.

I'm not a big fan of Beckford. Especially seeing as he is 26! But signing for us and playing in a better team next season ( if we get better players ) could step up his game.

No, because of the expense. Simple as that really. Beckford's only on the radar because he's cheap.

And he is in So Solid Crew

Init!