Interest in Beckford?

wykikitoon

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MARLON Harewood is still “very keen” to step into the breach if Newcastle United fail to land top striker target Jermaine Beckford.

With Leeds unwilling to budge on their £2m valuation of the striker and United apparently reticent to raise their offer above £1.5m, Newcastle’s pursuit of Beckford is likely to be a drawn-out affair.

Beckford is desperate to sign for Newcastle and sources in West Yorkshire have indicated that a deal would be brokered in a matter of days if a fee could be agreed, but both clubs’ unwillingness to budge has complicated matters.

Indeed, United now face fresh competition in the form of Everton, who The Journal understands are monitoring the situation with a view to a bid later in the month.

Despite his transfer request being made public this week, Beckford will start for Leeds against Wycombe in League One this weekend and the Elland Road club are relaxed about keeping him past the end of the month despite his desire to move on.

Hughton is prepared to see how the situation pans out but does not want to wait until the end of the month to land striker reinforcements – and Newcastle’s back-up plan is to go back to Aston Villa’s Harewood, who ended his loan spell at St James’ Park in fine form.

The big striker is interesting Hull City and West Ham, but Hughton’s decision to look at other targets has not dulled Harewood’s enthusiasm for a return, according to his agent Phil Sproson.

“Marlon has made his feelings clear and that is if Chris (Hughton) said he wanted him back, he would go back to Newcastle in a second,” he told The Journal. “Whatever has been said about who Newcastle are after hasn’t really changed his mind. He loved it there and was getting better with more games. He wants to come back and I think he thinks that he has done enough to justify being considered for a move back to Newcastle.”

Speaking before United’s weekend game with Reading was postponed, Hughton confirmed that a return for Harewood could still happen as he outlined his desire to bring in players who could “hit the ground running”.

“I have got to be open minded, the likelihood is I would only consider players who have played in England,” he said.

“At this time of year, you want players who can hit the ground running.

“That is either foreign players who have played in this country for a number of years or British players.

“Marlon has gone back to Aston Villa now but he’s certainly one who comes into the situation. I think he did well enough for us for that.”

Hughton remains cagey on the progress United have made in their pursuit of Beckford, but was full of praise for the pacy striker yesterday.

He has few concerns about his ability to make the jump into the Championship and feels that his scoring record will transfer to a higher level.

“If you’re asking me my opinion of Jermaine Beckford, I think he’s very good at what he does,” Hughton said.

“You have to look at what he’s done and the goals he’s scored at Leeds to see that.

“With anybody you never know their qualities until you see them perform at that level, but I do think he’s a good player, yes.

“I think (the Beckford deal) will be governed by him and how many offers he has.

“Again, he is one of the few players we have shown an interest in.

“I don’t think he is any better a player than he was before Sunday (when he scored the only goal as Leeds shocked Manchester United in the FA Cup) or any worse.

“Of course, the Manchester United game has lifted his profile a little bit more but he would be one of the few players.”

Edited by Barney

I understand you are trying to back up your point but Wes Brown is not a bad player.

Yes but he isnt a great player either which are people are trying to point it.

Its like Beckford did some Cryuff shit on the edge of the area, beat, Maldini, dinked it past Terry, took on Beckenbuer then slotted it past Buffon without even looking!

I see what youre saying Craig, but he aint an improvment on what we have IMO.

He has pace, wow. Thats it. Shit first touch, he has zero vision,cant pass and his attitude stinks.

As for Wes Brown and winner medals etc, does that mean Sun Ji Park or however the fuck its spelt is any good? NO!

Park is a good player IMO.

He has pace, wow. Thats it. Shit first touch, he has zero vision,cant pass and his attitude stinks.

As for Wes Brown and winner medals etc, does that mean Sun Ji Park or however the fuck its spelt is any good? NO!

If he had zero vision, he'd never have been in a position to score on Sunday.

I accept you don't rate him but don't make up shit to try to support the claim. If shit first touch ends with him putting the ball in the net then I'll buy it.

With regards to attitude are you talking on-pitch or off it? And if it's on-pitch what exactly do you mean?

Park is a good player IMO.

this.

I would certainly have Park in Nufcs 1st team

If he had zero vision, he'd never have been in a position to score on Sunday.

I accept you don't rate him but don't make up shit to try to support the claim. If shit first touch ends with him putting the ball in the net then I'll buy it.

With regards to attitude are you talking on-pitch or off it? And if it's on-pitch what exactly do you mean?

On pitch - he doesnt put in the work rate. Is greedy, moans at players and throws his dummy out when Grayson takes him off! Doesnt accept it and obviously cant see why he has been taken off, because he is Sheeeite

Well, lets see what happens.

If we sign him and he works out good and we end up flogging him for big bucks I will be the first one to say I was wrong, however I dont think I will be.

The vision thing. I speak to Leeds fans EVERYDAY. They are praying we take him because 95% of the time he runs into the box head down and tries to scroer himself. he doesnt look up and look for other players.

Park would be the first name on the teamsheet for most teams in the Prem IMO

I would be delighted if he was to turn up with his boots at St James' asking for a game

When at a client site I work on, I share a pod with a Leeds fan with reqularly watches them both home & away. He's saying the same as many others on here - he's quick but thats about it. He needs too many chances to score and that's the biggest thing that concerms me. We dont create an abundance of chances as it is. His attitude is apparently poor too, especially when things aren't going his way. His head drops too quickly by all accounts and is described as 'petulant'. He also agrees that he's not good enough to cut it in the prem.

For my money, I wouldn't buy any strikers, unless we aren't able to keep the 'Loon on loan until the end of the season. Midfield is (as it has been for so long) our biggest worry and that is where we need to strengthen. Buy a prem quality creative mid and we'll AccaDacca this league.

When at a client site I work on, I share a pod with a Leeds fan with reqularly watches them both home & away. He's saying the same as many others on here - he's quick but thats about it. He needs too many chances to score and that's the biggest thing that concerms me. We dont create an abundance of chances as it is. His attitude is apparently poor too, especially when things aren't going his way. His head drops too quickly by all accounts and is described as 'petulant'. He also agrees that he's not good enough to cut it in the prem.

For my money, I wouldn't buy any strikers, unless we aren't able to keep the 'Loon on loan until the end of the season. Midfield is (as it has been for so long) our biggest worry and that is where we need to strengthen. Buy a prem quality creative mid and we'll AccaDacca this league.

This, but according to some on here, THAT would improve the squad.

;)

His attitude is apparently poor too, especially when things aren't going his way. His head drops too quickly by all accounts and is described as 'petulant'.

How does that equate with Leeds transfer listing him last summer but him going on to be (currently) the 3rd highest scorer across all the leagues for them?

His attitude is apparently poor too, especially when things aren't going his way. His head drops too quickly by all accounts and is described as 'petulant'.

How does that equate with Leeds transfer listing him last summer but him going on to be (currently) the 3rd highest scorer across all the leagues for them?

Cynically? 'Cos he's playing for a move, not because his attutude has improved. If today's report is to be belived, he's deparate to come to us and I believe that's because he sees us as a surefire route to the Prem.

Whilst there's nothing wrong in that, he needs us more than we need him IMO.

I think we should stay clear.

Is greedy, moans at players and throws his dummy out when Grayson takes him off!

Comparable with a certain Andrew Cole when he was on our books. ;)

IMO strikers (I differentiate them from 'forwards') need, by definition to be greedy. It's their role to jump on any ball and try to stick it in the net.

And what's wrong with a player having the hump about being substituted? Nowt wrong with a bit of passion.

Cynically? 'Cos he's playing for a move, not because his attutude has improved. If today's report is to be belived, he's deparate to come to us and I believe that's because he sees us as a surefire route to the Prem.

Whilst there's nothing wrong in that, he needs us more than we need him IMO.

I think we should stay clear.

But that doesn't tally with his head dropping.

When he doesn't get his own way he either redoubles his efforts (for whatever reason) or he goes in a strop and stops performing.

You can't have it both ways, it seems clear to me from his performances that it's the former.

Edited by Happy Face

Is greedy, moans at players and throws his dummy out when Grayson takes him off!

Comparable with a certain Andrew Cole when he was on our books. ;)

IMO strikers (I differentiate them from 'forwards') need, by definition to be greedy. It's their role to jump on any ball and try to stick it in the net.

And what's wrong with a player having the hump about being substituted? Nowt wrong with a bit of passion.

There is greedy and wasting chances time after time like he does.

There isnt ANYTHING wrong at all with passion but effing and geffing at the gaffer when youre being taken off is wrong.

It's not a choice between Beckford and A.N. Other, it's a choice between Beckford and nee bugger. For that reason I'll take him.

I see it as a fairly risk free investment. If he arrives and doesn't score then we haven't spunked Owenesque amounts of money on a striker, if he arrives and he scores in the Championship then the money we earn from promotion will justify his fee and if he arrives and he scores in the Championship and Premiership then we've got a bargain. Fact of the matter is he's a natural goalscorer - something we don't have at the club currently. Carroll is a big man, Ranger is still too raw, Lovenkrands is capable of going missing from games and Shola is, well...Shola.

I don't know why Wykiki is getting so annoyed about it. Did he fuck your lass or something? ;)

Comparable with a certain Andrew Cole when he was on our books. :icon_lol:

There isnt ANYTHING wrong at all with passion but effing and geffing at the gaffer when youre being taken off is wrong.

Hang on a second, he's scored 20 goals this season and you're claiming he's wasted chance after chance? Yet you say he's lazy? It doesn't add up man! ;)

It's not a choice between Beckford and A.N. Other, it's a choice between Beckford and nee bugger. For that reason I'll take him.

I see it as a fairly risk free investment. If he arrives and doesn't score then we haven't spunked Owenesque amounts of money on a striker, if he arrives and he scores in the Championship then the money we earn from promotion will justify his fee and if he arrives and he scores in the Championship and Premiership then we've got a bargain. Fact of the matter is he's a natural goalscorer - something we don't have at the club currently. Carroll is a big man, Ranger is still too raw, Lovenkrands is capable of going missing from games and Shola is, well...Shola.

I don't know why Wykiki is getting so annoyed about it. Did he fuck your lass or something? ;)

Found out :icon_lol:

I just dont see why spending £1.5m for the sake of it.

He wont give us anything apart from some pace but fuck all end product.

Comparable with a certain Andrew Cole when he was on our books. <_<

Hang on a second, he's scored 20 goals this season and you're claiming he's wasted chance after chance? Yet you say he's lazy? It doesn't add up man! :icon_lol:

I'm convinced. Beckford has definitely been horsing Wykiki's women ;)

Comparable with a certain Andrew Cole when he was on our books. :icon_lol:

Hang on a second, he's scored 20 goals this season and you're claiming he's wasted chance after chance? Yet you say he's lazy? It doesn't add up man! ;)

Nobody reads my posts do they?

Leeds United create a fucking SHEDLOAD of chances per match because they have a midfield thats better than the rest of the gash in the league.

If Beckford gets 8 chances per game he will score. Yet he is only scoring 1 of them.

As you go up the leagues the chances will get less with the better opposition unless you improve your chances with better crosses, passes etc.

So the conversion from League One to Chumpionship is even bigger. So say we give him 3 of them chances I cant see him scoring ANY.

Found out <_<

I just dont see why spending £1.5m for the sake of it.

He wont give us anything apart from some pace but fuck all end product.

"Fuck all end product" simply doesn't tally with the number of fucking goals he's scored, man :icon_lol:

Okay, he might not cut it in the Championship but for all we know he might storm the gaff. £1.5 million is pennies in todays game and if he scores one goal which helps us get promoted then it's been a risk worth taking.

I'm not a huge fan of Beckford either, but this little paddy doesn't make any sense.