Interest in Beckford?

wykikitoon

Aye but don't forget (as Decka keeps reminding us) that not being in the Premiership brings financial losses that the club had not reckoned for.... :D

The entire football world saw it coming except for those twats!

And here we are, on the cusp of either gaining promotion or spectacularly failing to do so. We were at a similar junction last season in the January window except we were on the cusp of maintaining our premier league status. Ashley sold some of our better players and as a result we spectacularly were relegated.

Surely the f'n retards cannot engineer another spectacular f'up.

If they want to tight arse it along with no forward vision we may gain promotion this season, but we'll immediately be staring down the barrel of relegation.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt even be entertaining a bid of £1.5m nevermind £2m. His contract is up in the summer. £750,000 would be a more realistic offer.

It would just get turned down though. I think Craig's right. If the club actually thought he was the answer rather than just looking for a bargain, half a mill should be neither here nor there for a club looking at playing PL football next season. And it's for a striker ffs. I know he's not got long left on his contract but it's nothing in the context of what a decent forward is worth.

I wouldnt even be entertaining a bid of £1.5m nevermind £2m. His contract is up in the summer. £750,000 would be a more realistic offer.

It would just get turned down though. I think Craig's right. If the club actually thought he was the answer rather than just looking for a bargain, half a mill should be neither here nor there for a club looking at playing PL football next season. And it's for a striker ffs. I know he's not got long left on his contract but it's nothing in the context of what a decent forward is worth.

thing is, the difference between 1.5 and 2 mil at CCC or L1 level is enormous despite not seeming so to us used to seeing 5-10 mil regularly spent on flops

The club are obviously trying to get someone in on the cheap though or we'd be spending more on someone at least proven in the CCC

thing is, the difference between 1.5 and 2 mil at CCC or L1 level is enormous despite not seeming so to us used to seeing 5-10 mil regularly spent on flops

The club are obviously trying to get someone in on the cheap though or we'd be spending more on someone at least proven in the CCC

Aye but you have to look beyond this season. If he's not in the plans beyond that we shouldn't even be considering him and just sticking with what we have. Chez was right earlier when he mentioned midfield being an even bigger problem like (upfront's not a big problem this season but we'll struggle to score 20 goals if we go up with Carroll, Shola et al).

Aye but you have to look beyond this season. If he's not in the plans beyond that we shouldn't even be considering him and just sticking with what we have. Chez was right earlier when he mentioned midfield being an even bigger problem like (upfront's not a big problem this season but we'll struggle to score 20 goals if we go up with Carroll, Shola et al).

i know that, its one of the reasons I've said several times, I dont want beckford here striker isnt a priority compared to a decent midfielder and I dont think he'll make the step up to the CCC particularly well nevermind the PL

Don't understand your point re: the quibbling over 500k in that case.

well your point was that "unless the club think hes the answer rather than someone on the cheap" but I dont think the club think hes the answer hence the quibbling

my view is different in that I dont want him at all but that was me trying to be objective rather than throwing my, already voiced, opinion in again

i know that, its one of the reasons I've said several times, I dont want beckford here striker isnt a priority compared to a decent midfielder and I dont think he'll make the step up to the CCC particularly well nevermind the PL

The principle remains though (which is what I was getting at). If we found the 'dream' midfielder and Ashley's upper limit was only ½ million shy of what his club were asking for him, we'd miss out. Simple as that.

Fucking pathetic IYAM

Don't understand your point re: the quibbling over 500k in that case.

well your point was that "unless the club think hes the answer rather than someone on the cheap" but I dont think the club think hes the answer hence the quibbling

my view is different in that I dont want him at all but that was me trying to be objective rather than throwing my, already voiced, opinion in again

My point was don't quibble over 500k if they rate him, don't buy him if they don't, basically.

The principle remains though (which is what I was getting at). If we found the 'dream' midfielder and Ashley's upper limit was only ½ million shy of what his club were asking for him, we'd miss out. Simple as that.

Fucking pathetic IYAM

Aye, we're talking about the principle rather the actual player.

Incidentally Craig, the scenario you mention isn't too far away from what happened with Modric apparently.

Edited by alex

Basically he is shite. If we are buying him long term were not ambitions about staying in the Premier League. he isnt good enough for the Championship IMO. He will spend most of the time on the bench in the PL. So £1.5 - £2m for someone to be a bench warmer?

No thanks

What's laughable is that the club has the stance that they'll not negotiate on a miserly difference such as that but in the next breath they want us to be 'utterly grateful' to them for the financial input they're putting into the club.

Wankers.

Basically he is shite. If we are buying him long term were not ambitions about staying in the Premier League. he isnt good enough for the Championship IMO. He will spend most of the time on the bench in the PL. So £1.5 - £2m for someone to be a bench warmer?

No thanks

£1m would be ok though, eh? ;)

Fucking pathetic IYAM

while I dont doubt the inpetitude of mike ashley I'm not so sure about that one, its seems obvious to me that beckford is just an experiment, someone who we'll take if the price is right rather than a desireable target

No thanks

;)

I give up.....

BTW Alex, aye I thought that was the case with Modric - probably the same with Woodgate too (although we got off lightly again there).

Fucking pathetic IYAM

while I dont doubt the inpetitude of mike ashley I'm not so sure about that one, its seems obvious to me that beckford is just an experiment, someone who we'll take if the price is right rather than a desireable target

You're doing this deliberately now, aren't you?

Ashley's trying to buy someone cheap who he'll make a profit on if they come good. In that sense it is an 'experiment' or a gamble if you like. As per usual.

Fucking pathetic IYAM

You're doing this deliberately now, aren't you?

a little bit ;)

CHRIS HUGHTON today assured Newcastle United fans that he is working around the clock to make the signing of Leeds star Jermaine Beckford a reality.

United are understood to be in dialogue with Leeds over Beckford's arrival, but the Yorkshire club are understandably hoping for a fee as high as £3m.

The 20-goal striker has handed in a transfer request at Elland Road – and Leeds last night fired the starting gun on the race for his signature by going public on his desire to quit the League One club.

Hughton admitted in the Chronicle on December 30 that he was ready to pounce for the long-term Toon target.

And the United boss told the Chronicle today: “Something could happen at any time this month.

“The important thing for the supporters is that they know we are working very hard to get the players we are interested in.

“You never know what might happen.

“I know that the fans check the papers and the TV to see how we are getting on, and we are confident that come the end of the window we will bring in what we need.”

Hughton, meanwhile, was re-assessing his options today after missing out on Matt Kilgallon at Sheffield United after the defender committed himself to the Blades for the rest of the season.

However, Hughton is happy with his own stars like Steven Taylor and Fabricio Coloccini as well as young defender Tamas Kadar.

He said: “I was made aware of the Kilgallon situation only yesterday.

“We can’t make much comment about it, but Kilgallon was one of a few players we were interested in.

“It’s just one of those things.

“I think we have to stress that we are happy with the squad we’ve got.

“That’s probably the most important thing.

“We just have to supplement what we already have here.

“There are targets that we have in that position and we are still very confident we will bring in the right type of players.”

Guest Stevie

It's a very strange transfer this to say the least. A lot of Leeds fans are saying he's not that good, most are desperate for him to stay, and state he's at the biggest club he'll ever play for ;) , while a lot of our fans myself included don't think he's good enough for a club like us. I certainly don't, he is not even the top scorer in division three, and we are interested in him. In 15 years we've went from breaking world transfer records to signing strikers from Barcelona and Inter Milan, to courting Division Three players from non entity clubs. If that doesn't encapsulates the demise of this club then I don't know what does.

No thanks

If you think any purchase is being made for football reasons you haven't been listening to Mike Ashley....

He admits he knows nowt about football....

"I never said I was an expert in football clubs. I tried my best. But I accept my best was woefully short."

..but he's making all the decisions....

"if I keep the club I will have the final say on players."

Anyone else who's admitted they're shite at it would give the manager a total budget and invite him to spend it as he sees fit.

Fat fuck is going to micro manage every deal to squeeze every saving he can out of it...even if it means all our targets falling by the wayside. Just like (as has been mentioned) Modric. Imagine, the £5m wasted on Xisco that could have gone towards Modric. He has no idea.

He's a cunt.

It's a very strange transfer this to say the least. A lot of Leeds fans are saying he's not that good, most are desperate for him to stay, and state he's at the biggest club he'll ever play for ;) , while a lot of our fans myself included don't think he's good enough for a club like us. I certainly don't, he is not even the top scorer in division three, and we are interested in him. In 15 years we've went from breaking world transfer records to signing strikers from Barcelona and Inter Milan, to courting Division Three players from non entity clubs. If that doesn't encapsulates the demise of this club then I don't know what does.

Whether it encapsulates it or not, it's reality. The question which needs to be asked is not necessarily "is he good enough?" but more "is he an improvement on what we have?" IMO he most definitely is.

I can't imagine any of either Shola, Carroll or Goomba creating the opportunity that Beckford did at OT on Sunday. You an argue his 1st touch was toss, you can say his finish was shite but that fact of the matter is, he made a run, outpaced a Premiership defender and stuck the ball in the net.

With all due respect Stevie, you (and all the rest of us tbh) need to stop living in the past. Those days are long gone and it'll be quite some time (if at all!) before we can dream about seeing them again.