5 Blackpool 9 +6 16

6 Sheff Utd 9 +4 15

-----------------------------------------------

7 Watford 9 +2 14

8 QPR 8 +5 13

9 Cardiff 9 +3 13

10 Leicester 9 +1 13

:)

So we are 2pts clear of WBA, 4pts clear of PNE and 5pts clear of Boro with the best GD in the league. With QPR at home midweek and Bristol City at home next weekend we could well see 6 pts added to our tally and the gap increasing further.

Believing yet?

Edited by Geordie Lad...

I'm getting there, though I'm still of the opinion that it wouldn't take much to throw a spanner in the works with the amount of decent/experienced first teamers we have. If we can keep the players fit we look to be rocking and rolling.

Pld----Gd----Pts

1 Newcastle 9 +13 22

2 West Brom 9 +12 20

3 Preston 9 +7 18

4 Middlesbrough 9 +5 17

5 Blackpool 9 +6 16

6 Sheff Utd 9 +4 15

7 Watford 9 +2 14

8 QPR 8 +5 13

9 Cardiff 9 +3 13

10 Leicester 9 +1 13

:)

So we are 2pts clear of WBA, 4pts clear of PNE and 5pts clear of Boro with the best GD in the league. With QPR at home midweek and Bristol City at home next weekend we could well see 6 pts added to our tally and the gap increasing further.

Believing yet?

I'll believe it if it stays like that at the final whistle on the last day, lets not get too confident.

I'm getting there, though I'm still of the opinion that it wouldn't take much to throw a spanner in the works with the amount of decent/experienced first teamers we have. If we can keep the players fit we look to be rocking and rolling.

Yup!

I'm not quite at the optimistic stage yet but at least i've moved on from suicidal!!

In honour of Accadacca, we are going to piss it.

Hahaha i dont think we will piss it but on this showing and in general the way we've played so far this season we can surely believe we have a great chance of winning this league and going straight back up.

Carroll, Ranger, Smith, Nolan, Guthrie, S.Taylor, Enrique and Harper make for a VERY strong catalyst in our squad to work and build round.

Simpson looks a good addition and we should be trying to keep him, Raylor showing promise, Coloccini getting better and then the young lads who are going to benefit from this seasons experience it can only be good.

I dont expect Geremi, Barton and Butt to be here next season though.

Still think Harper looks like a statue in there and we are just lucky that many shots are not getting through. His movement is shocking and there were again occasions today where problems were nearly created because he can not command the box.

I hear you but he commands the back line, has an understanding with his defence, is experienced and wants us to go up just as much as anyone.

My point was that his spirit and experience is good in the squad.

Would you feel as confident with krul in there instead? I like Krul...massive potential but he is still a bit green. He should be our FA Cup keeper this season.

Still think Harper looks like a statue in there and we are just lucky that many shots are not getting through. His movement is shocking and there were again occasions today where problems were nearly created because he can not command the box.

I hear you but he commands the back line, has an understanding with his defence, is experienced and wants us to go up just as much as anyone.

Would you feel as confident with krul in there instead? I like Krul...massive potential but he is still a bit green. He should be our FA Cup keeper this season.

6 clean sheets in 9 games.

End of story.

6 clean sheets in 9 games.

End of story.

Exactly! The defence must take ALOT of credit for that too though.

Seriously though, if we don't get promoted we SERIOUSLY don't deserve too...! It's such a shit league :) I do know when we do get back up there we'd still have a lot of work to do when it comes to building our squad to be good enough not only to survive, but to actually make an impact again. It'll be an anxious time because one, you're obviously going to have a group of lads who have proved they're good enough to work together as a team/squad and two along with a manager who has done a brilliant job, but realistically to have ambition to make that impact its going to involve a few big decisions that could involve nearly a brand new team playing where we don't even know if they're going to play as effective together as our current one. Would be great if we could do what Keegan did back then, but the Premiership has came on a hell of lot more than what it did back then..!

Seriously though, if we don't get promoted we SERIOUSLY don't deserve too...! It's such a shit league :) I do know when we do get back up there we'd still have a lot of work to do when it comes to building our squad to be good enough not only to survive, but to actually make an impact again. It'll be an anxious time because one, you're obviously going to have a group of lads who have proved they're good enough to work together as a team/squad and two along with a manager who has done a brilliant job, but realistically to have ambition to make that impact its going to involve a few big decisions that could involve nearly a brand new team playing where we don't even know if they're going to play as effective together as our current one. Would be great if we could do what Keegan did back then, but the Premiership has came on a hell of lot more than what it did back then..!

It does seem to be a lot weaker than in previous years. The fact that boro are top three says it all :D

This Championship blog was backing the 3 relegated Prem teams to go straight back up and that was written a couple of weeks ago - it looks even more of a possibility now.

We've gotta make sure that over confidence doesn't set in but it's definitely a case of so far so good.

Just looking at the Guardian's setup of stats for the Prem and the League.

We have equal best defensive record in all four divisions:

Prem: Villa have let in five goals.

Championship: Mighty Toon: 4 goals have slipped through Harper's and Krul's fingers.

League One: Leeds have let through 4.

League Two: Bournemouth have let through 4.

How the fuck have we ended up with one of the best defensive records in the top four divisions of English football???? :)

Edited by dbsweeney

Just looking at the Guardian's setup of stats for the Prem and the League.

We have equal best defensive record in all four divisions:

Prem: Villa have let in five goals.

Championship: Mighty Toon: 4 goals have slipped through Harper's and Krul's fingers.

League One: Leeds have let through 4.

League Two: Bournemouth have let through 4.

How the fuck have we ended up with one of the best defensive records in the top four divisions of English football???? :)

Because of the all action, chest thumping, finger pointing brilliance of Steven Taylor.

Hopefully if we are still top Ashley will have £ signs in his eyes at our impending promotion and will not want to mess it up

Aye hopefully. Although, saying that he might look at a team sitting pretty at the top of the championship and scratch one of his chins, ponder a moment and then put a couple of the players up for sale because he reckons if we can get by with the current team, we could probably scrape by once we lost a player or two as well...