"On this day" jamboree

NJS

1983 - Pompey (H) 4-2

One of the early classics of that year and a masterful performace from Waddler

1988 - Liverpool (A) 1-0

My second favourite moment in football ever - the site of Mirandinha causing a surge in the Kop that would have drowned several Pacific Islands.

(Personal note - lack of transport back to station meant dodgy tour of surrounding pubs looking for taxis - quite scary)

1994 Villa (A) 2-0 -

Villa were supposed to be good but we completely outclassed them - Malcolm Allens best game for us

(Personal note - had a piss next to Andy Cole's Dad)

1995 Everton(A) 2-0

Fucking brilliant - outclassed the Scouse Mackems and made up for all the pissers we had there when they were good.

(Personal note - this was the day Sky first showed Who shot Mr Burns and my video failed to tape it - what a pisser)

1998 Belgrade (0-1)

Probably my most enjoyable European trip so far - there was an edge to the place which made the 4 days very exciting (not for the faint-hearted).

2002 Juventus (0-2)

Another fantastic trip

A coouple of pissers in more recent years but the ones above make a good set.

Guest Stevie
1983 - Pompey (H) 4-2

One of the early classics of that year and a masterful performace from Waddler

1988 - Liverpool (A) 1-0

My second favourite moment in football ever - the site of Mirandinha causing a surge in the Kop that would have drowned several Pacific Islands.

(Personal note - lack of transport back to station meant dodgy tour of surrounding pubs looking for taxis - quite scary)

1994 Villa (A) 2-0 -

Villa were supposed to be good but we completely outclassed them - Malcolm Allens best game for us

(Personal note - had a piss next to Andy Cole's Dad)

1995 Everton(A) 2-0

Fucking brilliant - outclassed the Scouse Mackems and made up for all the pissers we had there when they were good.

(Personal note - this was the day Sky first showed Who shot Mr Burns and my video failed to tape it - what a pisser)

1998 Belgrade (0-1)

Probably my most enjoyable European trip so far - there was an edge to the place which made the 4 days very exciting (not for the faint-hearted).

2002 Juventus (0-2)

Another fantastic trip

A coouple of pissers in more recent years but the ones above make a good set.

2-1 at Anfield and 3-1 at Woodison mate.

That 0-2 at Villa was one of my favourite away days ever, fuckin hell I was only 15 seems like yesterday, I remember hundreds of toon fans being in the Holte End and the busies got them out and moved them somewhere else, and the whole ground reverberated to geordies here, geordies there, geordies every fuckin where nanananananannaaaaaaaaa. One thing I do remember was Mike Hooper making his debut, and this bloke behind me twice the size of Keith Beefy Roberts applauding Hooper as he came over at the start of the game, and he shouted "nowts ganna beat this big fat fucka!" the irony.

Edit this is the season before the game thats listed, I went the first year.

Edited by Stevie

2-1 at Anfield and 3-1 at Woodison mate.

That 0-2 at Villa was one of my favourite away days ever, fuckin hell I was only 16 seems like yesterday, I remember hundreds of toon fans being in the Holte End and the busies got them out and moved them somewhere else, and the whole ground reverberated to geordies here, geordies there, geordies every fuckin where nanananananannaaaaaaaaa. One thing I do remember was Mike Hooper making his debut, and this bloke behind me twice the size of Keith Beefy Roberts applauding Hooper as he came over at the start of the game, and he shouted "nowts ganna beat this big fat fucka!" the irony.

Aye - was trying to type while running the memories though my head - must be getting old.

I was also warned by a steward at Everton for racist language (oh the irony) for calling one of their players a scouse cunt - we sored a couple of minutes later and a few of us all piled into him - happy days.

Remember getting hoyed out at Bolton. Arms up me back two coppers march me past the dug out. Mick Channon had just signed and was sitting in civvies. Berb to Channon.. Hello Mike. Channon to Berb.. Fuck off :D

Remember getting hoyed out at Bolton. Arms up me back two coppers march me past the dug out. Mick Channon had just signed and was sitting in civvies. Berb to Channon.. Hello Mike. Channon to Berb.. Fuck off :icon_lol:

:D

Derby County 4-1 Newcastle United 1992.

I wouldn't put this down as a 'favourite' game, but I've never felt as proud to be a Geordie than I did at the Baseball ground that day. Thousands of Mags gave unstinting support after three of our players were sent off as well as Terry Mac getting sent to the stands by a referee called Coddington who wanted to make a name for himself. Facing div 3 squarely in the face the support was as defiant as I can remember and it got through to the likes of David Kelly about the injustice of it all. At 2-0 down and two men down Derby couldn't get the ball off us the backing was intense and we pulled a goal back to mental celebrations, we then went a further player down and the numbers told and the score ended 4-1. Some seats were threw, songs were sung the likes of Kelly threw their shirts into the support after the game, Sutton their keeper came over to our fans after the game and stood applauding. I've never felt as one with our players and my fellow Mags as I did that day.

By a quirk of fate, we had to go back down to the Baseball almost straight away in our promotion year and beat a decent side 2-1 with Clarkie getting one of them in a great game which was the start of the belief that we were a good side. Happy days.

If Hova is reading, KK played a small part of these happy days. :D

I wouldn't put this down as a 'favourite' game, but I've never felt as proud to be a Geordie than I did at the Baseball ground that day. Thousands of Mags gave unstinting support after three of our players were sent off as well as Terry Mac getting sent to the stands by a referee called Coddington who wanted to make a name for himself. Facing div 3 squarely in the face the support was as defiant as I can remember and it got through to the likes of David Kelly about the injustice of it all. At 2-0 down and two men down Derby couldn't get the ball off us the backing was intense and we pulled a goal back to mental celebrations, we then went a further player down and the numbers told and the score ended 4-1. Some seats were threw, songs were sung the likes of Kelly threw their shirts into the support after the game, Sutton their keeper came over to our fans after the game and stood applauding. I've never felt as one with our players and my fellow Mags as I did that day.

By a quirk of fate, we had to go back down to the Baseball almost straight away in our promotion year and beat a decent side 2-1 with Clarkie getting one of them in a great game which was the start of the belief that we were a good side. Happy days.

If Hova is reading, KK played a small part of these happy days. :D

Completely agree.

I remember Liam O's sending off was for saying something to the ref going back to our half when they had scored the 4th. I like to think he said "Happy now cunt?"

Remember getting hoyed out at Bolton. Arms up me back two coppers march me past the dug out. Mick Channon had just signed and was sitting in civvies. Berb to Channon.. Hello Mike. Channon to Berb.. Fuck off :icon_lol:

:ninja::)

Guest Stevie

If Hova is reading, KK played a small part of these happy days. :ninja:

My proudest day as a toon fan that. I was only 14, I remember after the game too little things you remember from games, there was a park beside the away end, and these Asian were playing football over this fence, shouting 4-1, all you seen was 5 toon fans hurdle the fence, the asians ran like fuck, leaving their ball and their coats. 30 seconds later 50 yards down the road all you seen were coats and a football flying about in the throng of toon fans.

Was good when we beat them 1-2 in the August as well, but they stuck us in that shitey paddock. Franz Carr's best game for the toon that.

My proudest day as a toon fan that. I was only 14, I remember after the game too little things you remember from games, there was a park beside the away end, and these Asian were playing football over this fence, shouting 4-1, all you seen was 5 toon fans hurdle the fence, the asians ran like fuck, leaving their ball and their coats. 30 seconds later 50 yards down the road all you seen were coats and a football flying about in the throng of toon fans.

Was good when we beat them 1-2 in the August as well, but they stuck us in that shitey paddock. Franz Carr's best game for the toon that.

Well found, Stevie.

Thats the first time I've saw those goals apart from being there. Those Asians must have liked a chase, the same thing happened in '88 and I'm pretty sure I saw some in the 2-1 win the year after.

Guest Stevie

Well found, Stevie.

Thats the first time I've saw those goals apart from being there. Those Asians must have liked a chase, the same thing happened in '88 and I'm pretty sure I saw some in the 2-1 win the year after.

Peacock hit the bar when it was 2-1 with 9 men too, IIRC.

Does it matter what "race" they were :ninja:

Absolutely, if they were white kids then they'd just have been cheeky cunts, but as they were 'Pakis' then they clearly didn't know their place.

Does it matter what "race" they were :ninja:

Absolutely, if they were white kids then they'd just have been cheeky cunts, but as they were 'Pakis' then they clearly didn't know their place.

© Anton Du Beke.

Does it matter what "race" they were :)

Of course it doesn't matter.

Does it matter what "race" they were :icon_lol:

Ok, I can't speak for Stevie as I don't know him from Adam, but wasn't he merely describing an event that happened at the Baseball Ground? He described the kids involved as Asians. They were as well! Had we been playing a UEFA cup game Marseilles and the same thing happened might he not have described French kids getting chased? Was he (or myself) being racist in mentioning that they happened to be Asian? There's a school of thought that everybody is racist to certain degrees, maybe me and Stevie are on the lower 'subconcious' level. Or maybe we're not racist at all. Neither Stevie or myself mentioned the offensive word 'Pakis', but maybe we meant to, eh?

As soon as I looked at the posts after he and I wrote them, I thought, I bet someone mentions the Asian part of it. I suppose its good that people are looking out for racism as it hopefully should be going the distance and doesn't and shouldn't belong in 2009, but it wasn't always so. I think the two of you have overeacted a bit and ewerk has definitely tried to put words where they weren't.

By the way, I'm not condoning anyone getting chased, Asian or not. At the time it was funny, at the time nobody got hurt, at the time I was young and drunk, I also saw things that happened which seemed funny through a young lads eyes, such as a Morris Minor getting shaken about and turned on its side at Stanley Park, or someone getting a lass to make up twenty hotdogs/burgers at Elm Park then telling her he didn't want them he merely asked "if she had twenty?" and then pissing himself laughing. Had that happened now I'd have thought they out of order as I've grown up. (But they were funny at the time). :ninja:

I just think the pair of you have got the wrong end of the stick, for what its worth.

Guest Stevie
Does it matter what "race" they were :)

Of course it doesn't matter.

Does it matter what "race" they were :icon_lol:

Ok, I can't speak for Stevie as I don't know him from Adam, but wasn't he merely describing an event that happened at the Baseball Ground? He described the kids involved as Asians. They were as well! Had we been playing a UEFA cup game Marseilles and the same thing happened might he not have described French kids getting chased? Was he (or myself) being racist in mentioning that they happened to be Asian? There's a school of thought that everybody is racist to certain degrees, maybe me and Stevie are on the lower 'subconcious' level. Or maybe we're not racist at all. Neither Stevie or myself mentioned the offensive word 'Pakis', but maybe we meant to, eh?

As soon as I looked at the posts after he and I wrote them, I thought, I bet someone mentions the Asian part of it. I suppose its good that people are looking out for racism as it hopefully should be going the distance and doesn't and shouldn't belong in 2009, but it wasn't always so. I think the two of you have overeacted a bit and ewerk has definitely tried to put words where they weren't.

By the way, I'm not condoning anyone getting chased, Asian or not. At the time it was funny, at the time nobody got hurt, at the time I was young and drunk, I also saw things that happened which seemed funny through a young lads eyes, such as a Morris Minor getting shaken about and turned on its side at Stanley Park, or someone getting a lass to make up twenty hotdogs/burgers at Elm Park then telling her he didn't want them he merely asked "if she had twenty?" and then pissing himself laughing. Had that happened now I'd have thought they out of order as I've grown up. (But they were funny at the time). :ninja:

I just think the pair of you have got the wrong end of the stick, for what its worth.

Good post. Even 10 years ago nobody would've mentioned that. It's this country today though, and even Ireland evidently.

• 3 weeks later...

1985 Aston Villa (a)

2-1 (1-1)

Division One

Beardsley, Gascoigne

Gray

This is the one that I always think of when Villa sing "Where were you when you were shit".

First division, a city of more than a million and you got around 10k home fans for a game.

This was the only time we were given the upper tier in the end behind the goal - I took a walk up to the back row before the game and thought it was too far from the pitch - in hindsight a preview of the newer grounds including ours.

I also remember this was one of the first games where I realised just how good Gazza was.

They've always been one of the most volatile clubs in term of attendance before the last few "always full" years.

In the early days of the Prem they'd get a full 40k against Man U or Liverpool but then get 22k or something like that agaisnt Southampton etc.

1985 Aston Villa (a)

2-1 (1-1)

Division One

Beardsley, Gascoigne

Gray

This is the one that I always think of when Villa sing "Where were you when you were shit".

First division, a city of more than a million and you got around 10k home fans for a game.

This was the only time we were given the upper tier in the end behind the goal - I took a walk up to the back row before the game and thought it was too far from the pitch - in hindsight a preview of the newer grounds including ours.

I also remember this was one of the first games where I realised just how good Gazza was.

Very poorly supported club always have been, always will be. They should be getting 60,000 every game without fail. 5m people within 25 minutes drive. Oh dear.

• 3 weeks later...

2002 Feyenoord (a)

3-2 (1-0)

Champs League Match 6

Bellamy(45,90), Viana(49)

Bombarda(65), Lurling(71)

Interesting bit in the .com waffle about the "highlights" of being a Newcastle fan:

How does one possibly try and compare this to any other game? Short answer - you don't. But always up for a challenge we'll have a go:

Taking the last proper trophy win as a starting point, our subsequent glory days come down to these ten in my fevered mind:

73/74: Burnley (a) 2-0 Supermac seals it

91/92: Portsmouth (h) 1-0 David Kelly

91/92: Leicester (a) 2-1 Staying up!

92/93: Mackems (a) 2-1 Liam, Liam O

92/93: Grimsby (a) 2-0 Going Up!

92/93: Leicester (h) 7-1 Andy, Andy Cole x 28,000.

95.96: Leeds (a) 1-0 Love it, Just Love it. Dare to believe.

96/97: Forest (h) 5-0 farewell mackems & smoggies, hello Europe!

97/98: Barcelona (h) 3-2 Tino Tino Tino!

98/99: Spurs (a) 2-0 Shearer semi success

The common thread linking all of these games is of course that we won, and that the emotion of those days has implanted itself in the collective memory of those present.

Apart from the first I was at all of those and would probably include Keegan's playing debut and the win at Liverpool from the 80s and a couple from the last decade but I certainly wouldn't argue about the inclusion of the Feyernoord game in the list. It was as about as good as it gets.

I've thought about that game a few times and I wonder if, in retrospect, it would've been better to draw and drop into the Uefa Cup because we would've had a hell of a chance of winning it imo. Hard to believe it was 7 years ago as well.