"On this day" jamboree

NJS

I've thought about that game a few times and I wonder if, in retrospect, it would've been better to draw and drop into the Uefa Cup because we would've had a hell of a chance of winning it imo. Hard to believe it was 7 years ago as well.

I totally agree with you.

At the time of this match I was left holding the baby, literally. My eldest daughter was asleep in my arms and her mother had went to bed and when Bellamy got the winner I went mental but in a quiet way, I'd put her down by the time of Bellers goal after having woke her up when Vianna scored.

I've thought about that game a few times and I wonder if, in retrospect, it would've been better to draw and drop into the Uefa Cup because we would've had a hell of a chance of winning it imo. Hard to believe it was 7 years ago as well.

Good point I think we would have been in the final at least. Fucking Celtic got there! That toon side would've ripped them a new arsehole, Larsson or not. I think in hindsight we were very unlucky, the only game we were shit in the second group phase was Barcelona at home. Fucking Bramble.

Of those games mentioned the only two I wasn't at was the 2-1 win at Roker, and Hillsborough as I wasn't born, personally I would put other games in there too. Leeds 4-3 being a definite contender.

Good point I think we would have been in the final at least. Fucking Celtic got there! That toon side would've ripped them a new arsehole, Larsson or not. I think in hindsight we were very unlucky, the only game we were shit in the second group phase was Barcelona at home. Fucking Bramble.

Of those games mentioned the only two I wasn't at was the 2-1 win at Roker, and Hillsborough as I wasn't born, personally I would put other games in there too. Leeds 4-3 being a definite contender.

People always remember O'Briens goal in the 2-1 win, which was great of course, (I personally had a hand in it by putting Tim Carter off as he was lining up his wall, Liam owes me a pint!), but I'd love to see O'Briens equaliser down there the season before that, again. He lobbed Tony Norman from just outside the box and it was a fucking peach. Saw it once on Tyne-Tees on the monday after the game and it looked as mental in the Roker end on the box as it was on the day. The Roker end seemed more 'packed' that day as I think they'd given us fewer tickets than normal. when it went in the Toon fans just surged forward rather than jumped up and down. (From memory, anyway!). After the match a brick threw by some mackems down one of the side streets missed my mate by inches but hit some other oldish bloke instead.

;)

That sentence is a very strange read nowadays ;)

I still think our best chance of winning the UEFA Cup was 04/05 but it was spoilt by Souness. Our team was head and shoulders above the rest and only his management fucked us over. We nearly lost it against Herenveen when he dropped Robert to the bench, only for him to come on and save us. We murdered Olympiacos and had he not fucked Robert off altogether i'm certain we'd have had enough to see off Sporting once Dyer crocked himself.

Inter at home wasn't too good either, like ;)

That second group phase did give me one of my proudest moments as a Newcastle United supporter - watching my team go to the San Siro and outplay Inter Milan to the point where only dodgy refereeing and the most ridiculous play acting could save them. We were amazing for the full 90. Solano rattled the bar within 30 seconds if I remember rightly. There's no way they should've escaped with a 2-2 draw.

People always remember O'Briens goal in the 2-1 win, which was great of course, (I personally had a hand in it by putting Tim Carter off as he was lining up his wall, Liam owes me a pint!), but I'd love to see O'Briens equaliser down there the season before that, again. He lobbed Tony Norman from just outside the box and it was a fucking peach. Saw it once on Tyne-Tees on the monday after the game and it looked as mental in the Roker end on the box as it was on the day. The Roker end seemed more 'packed' that day as I think they'd given us fewer tickets than normal. when it went in the Toon fans just surged forward rather than jumped up and down. (From memory, anyway!). After the match a brick threw by some mackems down one of the side streets missed my mate by inches but hit some other oldish bloke instead.

;)

That may well have been due to virtually the only decent mackem I've ever met....some lad called Barry, who sauntered up to a group of us,quite plainly ticketless, Mags and told us to go to turnstile 11 and tell the bloke that "Barry had sent you", hand over a tenner, and we'd get in.And we were far from the only ones. Cheers Barry :D

As someone mentioned, Leeds 4-3 was great too, as was a week later when we won in London for the first time in 4 years or so and in beating Arsenal we were top of the league at Christmas.

I'd also add beating Leeds 5-2 with Quinny getting 4 on his debut...went out that night and pulled a bird with the biggest set I'd ever seen....and I'm yet to see bigger 20 years later ;)

I'd stick a couple of games from 1989/90 in there too:

Leeds (H) 5-2 - IIRC everyone was going on about Leeds pre-season and how they were going to fucking walk the league seeing as they'd bought Strachan, Hendrie & Vinnie Jones. Came to SJP first day of the season and we murdered them.

Leicester (H) 5-4 - 13 minutes left and we were losing 4-2. Absolutely awesome ending thanks to Gallacher, Quinn and McGhee ;)

Happy days...

;)

I was at that one, my first away game as it goes. I remember looking to my left when we scored and their clock stand paddock was full of toon fans, celebrating then fighting with the mackems. Steve Watson missed an open goal for 1-2 as well. Good memory that.

I still think our best chance of winning the UEFA Cup was 04/05 but it was spoilt by Souness. Our team was head and shoulders above the rest and only his management fucked us over. We nearly lost it against Herenveen when he dropped Robert to the bench, only for him to come on and save us. We murdered Olympiacos and had he not fucked Robert off altogether i'm certain we'd have had enough to see off Sporting once Dyer crocked himself.

If we'd had Bellamy still there with Robson still at the helm that's another year we'd have had a great (and like you say, probably even better) chance. Of course we'd have got relegated that year too according to Dougie Hall.

Edited by alex

I'd stick a couple of games from 1989/90 in there too:

Leeds (H) 5-2 - IIRC everyone was going on about Leeds pre-season and how they were going to fucking walk the league seeing as they'd bought Strachan, Hendrie & Vinnie Jones. Came to SJP first day of the season and we murdered them.

Leicester (H) 5-4 - 13 minutes left and we were losing 4-2. Absolutely awesome ending thanks to Gallacher, Quinn and McGhee ;)

Happy days...

that Leicester game was Roy Aitkin’s (what a carthorse he was!) debut as I remember, the Gallowgate was still going mental 10 minutes after the game had finished! – amazing game.

• 1 month later...

Lots of Boxing day memories in the list - good and bad - but these two stand out for me:

1979 Burnley (a)

2-3 (1-1)

Division Two

Shoulder, Barton

Hamilton, Smith, Dobson(pen)

- My first away game - missing a boring boxing day seemed like a good idea at the time but this was the drug dealers sample that got me hooked - I probably would have started going anyway around that time but this was a classic example of its time - mass invasion complete with loads of bother and a performance from the fans which outshone that of the players.

1984 West Bromwich Albion (a) 1-2 (0-1)

Division One

Baird

Hunt, Thompson

The Coldest day I've ever experienced at a football match - there was no snow or anything but it was bastard freezing.

2002 Feyenoord (a)

3-2 (1-0)

Champs League Match 6

Bellamy(45,90), Viana(49)

Bombarda(65), Lurling(71)

Interesting bit in the .com waffle about the "highlights" of being a Newcastle fan:

How does one possibly try and compare this to any other game? Short answer - you don't. But always up for a challenge we'll have a go:

Taking the last proper trophy win as a starting point, our subsequent glory days come down to these ten in my fevered mind:

73/74: Burnley (a) 2-0 Supermac seals it

91/92: Portsmouth (h) 1-0 David Kelly

91/92: Leicester (a) 2-1 Staying up!

92/93: Mackems (a) 2-1 Liam, Liam O

92/93: Grimsby (a) 2-0 Going Up!

92/93: Leicester (h) 7-1 Andy, Andy Cole x 28,000.

95.96: Leeds (a) 1-0 Love it, Just Love it. Dare to believe.

96/97: Forest (h) 5-0 farewell mackems & smoggies, hello Europe!

97/98: Barcelona (h) 3-2 Tino Tino Tino!

98/99: Spurs (a) 2-0 Shearer semi success

The common thread linking all of these games is of course that we won, and that the emotion of those days has implanted itself in the collective memory of those present.

Apart from the first I was at all of those and would probably include Keegan's playing debut and the win at Liverpool from the 80s and a couple from the last decade but I certainly wouldn't argue about the inclusion of the Feyernoord game in the list. It was as about as good as it gets.

Viana's goal was immense in that game.