Newcastle United 0-0 Bristol City

Tom

Newcastle : TBA

Bristol City : TBA

Referee: Graham Salisbury (Lancashire)

:D

Commentary on BBC Radio 5 live Sports Extra and BBC Radio Newcastle.

There is no live television coverage for this game. Highlights will be available by tuning in to the Football League show, which will be on iPlayer for a week after broadcast or catching up via the BBC sport website.

:icon_lol:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im on this betting site called centsports, where its free to bet, they give you 10 cents whenever you go down to 0, and once you reach $20 you can cash out. Anyway, over the last 2 weeks ive turned 10 cents into $14, all of which I now have riding on this game.

So they better win. :D

Newcastle v Bristol City

Coca Cola Championship

Venue: St James' Park Date: Saturday, 3 October 2009 Kick-off: 1500 BST

Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live, BBC local radio, Final Score & highlights on The Football League Show

TEAM NEWS

Newcastle defender Fabricio Coloccini is out with a groin injury but Ryan Taylor could return from a calf strain.

Shola Ameobi and Joey Barton are sidelined with foot injuries.

Bristol City defender Jamie McCombe is back after a suspension and Liam Fontaine is expected to be passed fit following a knee problem.

Paul Hartley is out of action after coming down with shingles, while keeper Dean Gerken is not yet ready to play after a virus.

MATCH PREVIEW

Leaders Newcastle are aiming to return to winning ways after dropping their first points at home this season.

Bristol City, who have not won on Tyneside for 99 years, are far less impressive on the road than at their Ashton Gate home, which has been a fortress under Gary Johnson. But they will relish the chance to take on the Magpies.

And the kind of anxiety at the back Newcastle showed on Wednesday night could be punished by Nicky Maynard. The striker has netted six of City's 10 league goals this season and had more shots on target than any other player in the Championship.

Bristol City defender Bradley Orr told BBC Radio Bristol:

"If you look around our dressing room it's a very talented one, certainly the best I've been involved with in my time here.

"It's going to be a great day but certainly one we feel we can go and win and we believe that as a squad."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• It is almost 14 years to the day since these clubs last met.

• Newcastle have won their last five matches against Bristol City in all competitions.

• They put five goals past City in two of those victories.

Newcastle

• Newcastle lost their 100% home league record when held to a 1-1 draw by QPR on Wednesday night, but still have one of six unbeaten home records in the Championship.

• They have the tightest defence in the division, conceding just five goals in 10 matches, and have kept more clean sheets than any other Championship side.

• Newcastle and Preston are the only teams to have scored in every match in the Championship this season.

Bristol City

• City are the highest placed of the five clubs without an away victory in the Championship so far this season.

• Gary Johnson's side have drawn three of their five away games, and have drawn three and lost eight of 11 on the road since winning at Reading in February.

• If selected, Jamie McCombe will be making his 300th club career appearance.

• Jamie McAllister is hoping to make his 300th career league start.

MOST RECENT MEETING

Newcastle 3-1 Bristol City (4 October 1995)

Newcastle scorers: Albert, Barton, Ferdinand.

Bristol City scorer: Agostino.

MOST RECENT MEETING

fuckin hell, i wish we had a team like that again!!

Home win

MOST RECENT MEETING

fuckin hell, i wish we had a team like that again!!

Home win

Fucking hell, Barton's been here a while hasn't he. :D

I just hope there's plenty of pro-Keegan singing going on throughout the match, sure fat Mike would love that.

Why? It really is time to move on now... how about we actually support the team itself, as they are the only ones who will get us out of this shite.

I just hope there's plenty of pro-Keegan singing going on throughout the match, sure fat Mike would love that.

Why? It really is time to move on now... how about we actually support the team itself, as they are the only ones who will get us out of this shite.

Indeed - it's over a year since KK left. We need to have moved on. The thing is, Ashley hasn't - he's still here. He should be the focus of any singing / chanting, not Keegan.

Nothing wrong with a few Keegan songs today, it'd show the media that we're still behind him.

Despite the various "fans reject KK" shite that Im reading today.

Nothing wrong with a few Keegan songs today, it'd show the media that we're still behind him.

Despite the various "fans reject KK" shite that Im reading today.

Exactly. I'm not normally one for singing about people who are gone, its pointless by an large, and you should back the ones who are here. But in amongst the anti Ashley/Wise chants i want to hear, i'd also like some pro Keegan stuff to tell the cockney journalists to shove the bollocks they write up their arses and that real toon fans still back Keegan for everythign he did for us.

I reckon there should be an expansion on the song from last weekend. Instead of "you fat cockney bastard" though, change it to "you fat cockney liar".

His parentage may still be in doubt, but his integrity isn't. We'd hardly be committing slander, would we?

Surely it's rendered void due to a closed off ground?

:D:icon_lol:

To get 50mph wind inside the ground fuck knows what speed it would have to be outside.

'' :icon_lol: ''

Surely it's rendered void due to a closed off ground?

:D:lol:

To get 50mph wind inside the ground fuck knows what speed it would have to be outside.

'' :o ''

Jesus christ Tom, do you need a basic lesson in aerodynamics? :icon_lol:

The stands are of unequal height and i'm pretty certain wind still blows at a couple of hundred feet above the ground :icon_lol: Because of the stands and the fact they can 'vortex' the wind around the inside of the stadium, any wind would likely be felt more inside, than out.

If we had a roof on it, then I might agree with you :rolleyes:

Comfortable 2-0 win today...

Scorer's: Nolan and Carroll

Id play:

---Harper---

--Simpson---Saylor---Khizanishvili---Enrique--

--Raylor---Smith---Nolan---Jonas--

---Carroll--Harewood---

Subs: Krul, Kadar, Geremi, Guthrie, Butt, Lovenkrands, Ranger

Chances are Hughton will start Guthrie on the right, Nolan on the left and Smith and Butt in the middle with Carroll and Ranger upfront though. :icon_lol:

My team is better! :D

Lets here some KK chants and PLENTY of "you fat cockney bastard get out of our club"

Got a good feeling about today! :icon_lol:

:rolleyes: