Newcastle United 0-0 Bristol City

Tom

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point in our last promotion season we won our 11th consecutive game by beating the Mackems 2-1 at Roker Park. The next time out was the Grimsby game which all went a bit wrong. Never the less we had 33 points on the board.

We've just finished our 11th game of this season and we have 24 points. OK, it's 9 points shy, but 92/93 was a one-off IMO. Back in August, if someone had suggested we'd get 24 points from the first 11 games we'd have questioned their sanity. :ninja:

At this point in our last promotion season we won our 11th consecutive game by beating the Mackems 2-1 at Roker Park. The next time out was the Grimsby game which all went a bit wrong. Never the less we had 33 points on the board.

We've just finished our 11th game of this season and we have 24 points. OK, it's 9 points shy, but 92/93 was a one-off IMO. Back in August, if someone had suggested we'd get 24 points from the first 11 games we'd have questioned their sanity. :ninja:

I don't see the relevance of comparing things to 1992/93. Today is today. We lost four points in matches at home against teams that should get more dominated and beaten. Instead of taking advantage of other results we let other teams stay in contact. That is what matters, not if we beat the Mackems at Roker Park 17 years ago.

Well what a fuckin shower of shit...midweek we said it was becasue QPR played well when in fact we played shit, couldnt pass the ball with any purpose, couldnt take our chances and couldnt boss the game at HOME.

Today totally totally reiterates how shite we actually are...maybe iv been over-confident lately but the truth was there for all to see/hear today.

At home to Bristol and we get a 0-0 fuck sake.

We were slow, sloppy and wasteful, we dont create enough, and what we do create we squander.

Yes we were unlucky with the penalty and im sure Hughton will blame the result on that...but the is we were fuckin awful.

Lack proper width, lack someone who can properly lead the line upfront, and more importantly we lack anysort of creativity in centre midfield.

Hmmm...

Harper...6 Nothing to do

Raylor...6 Wasteful but did have a FEW good crosses

Simpson...6 Done nothing of note

Saylor...7 Once again done his job unlucky not to score

Khizanishvili...6 Not as impressive today

Jonas...5 Shite

Guthrie...5 Should of scored and made 2...still suffering from pen miss imo

Nolan...5 Never in the game and should of scored a sitter

Smith...6 Busy but done nothing of note

Lovenkrands...5 I hate this twat...he is shit!

Harewood...6 Unlucky not to score but not leading the line like he should be

Carroll...5 Wasted good possion time and time again!

3 points clear still but...you could let the QPR game go but today we really should of extended our lead...these were fuckin awful but we werent much better.

I just hope that these 4 dropped points don't come back to bite us on the arse at the end of the season.

Aye, these are the games that we really need to have been grinding out wins. Still 3pts clear and looking at upcoming games we can still stretch ahead of the pack iyam

I don't see the relevance of comparing things to 1992/93. Today is today. We lost four points in matches at home against teams that should get more dominated and beaten. Instead of taking advantage of other results we let other teams stay in contact. That is what matters, not if we beat the Mackems at Roker Park 17 years ago.

We're not going to win them all - and we're still 3 points clear. Fuck's sake man it could have been far worse.

And FWIW, I think the bit in bold is a bit arrogant. QPR for example were good value for their point and could count themselves lucky not to go away with all 3. Just because we came down last season, doesn't mean that we should win all the games.

I'm sure most people are delighted we're 3 points clear, and a draw isn't the end of the world, but Bristol were there for the taking, and we should have won comfortably, regardless of the penalty decision - we really should be 5 points clear.

We're not going to win them all - and we're still 3 points clear. Fuck's sake man it could have been far worse.

And FWIW, I think the bit in bold is a bit arrogant. QPR for example were good value for their point and could count themselves lucky not to go away with all 3. Just because we came down last season, doesn't mean that we should win all the games.

Of course should we win all games. We probably won't, but the necessary amount of arrogance should be in place to at least dominate those teams. It's bad enough when teams like QPR turn up and can be disappointed not to win. Dropping four points at home in the space of four days is simply not good enough if you are without doubt the biggest team in the league and one of the clear favourites to win promotion.

It's the complacency and the performances that go with the poor results that bother me.

Edited by Isegrim

two off the woodwork and a peno turned down, sounds like we tried to take them, tbh.

If the reports from the ground were of a Newcastle team sitting back (ala Allardyce) I'd be pissed, but it sounds like this was just "one of those days" where a draw doesn't reflect our dominance, but I'll settle for it.

two off the woodwork and a peno turned down, sounds like we tried to take them, tbh.

If the reports from the ground were of a Newcastle team sitting back (ala Allardyce) I'd be pissed, but it sounds like this was just "one of those days" where a draw doesn't reflect our dominance, but I'll settle for it.

We fuckin mullered them at times and if we had got the early goal it could have been very different - completely different performance to QPR we were much better and Lovenkrandts linked well with Harewood but the hoofball we often resort to does not suit either of their games.

The referees' performance ranked as one of the worst I have ever seen - absolute stonewall penalty and loads of decisions went against for no other reason than he wanted to piss on our chips - utter wanker and a disgrace

The thing that disappointed me was the set piece delivery was back to last seasons standards of scuffed to the near post or overhit beyond everyone, which is a shame because this season we've caused havoc from freekicks.

We started both halves well then faded a bit, but were alot better second half than first i'd say and as people have said the officials were poor, though i think thats the first one this season who has been bad. Obviously there was the pen but the linesman on the milburn side of the pitch managed to miss a total of 5 or 6 blatant handballs by them and 1 by us, he just refused point blank to bother his arse and make a single decision other than offside all match.

Also for all we didnt concede its clear our best back four is Enrique, Taylor, Colo and Simpson, there were some dodgy moments today.

Exactly... we did all that was necessary except putting the ball in the net - the penalty should have been given but wasn't. Don't think we threw the game away, that would have been a case of 11 players not turning up but each and every single one of them did.

Seems to be a degree of "glass half empty" creeping in when looking back on performances tbh.

We're a quarter of the way through the season, won over 70% of our games, been unbeaten in over 90%, have been scoring goals for fun and have only conceeded 5 - first time in I can't remember how long that we've got a +GD. And all this with effectively the same players that were total shite last year.

We really should be looking to be more positive.

I suppose it's just missing opportunities. We could have been 8 points clear IIRC.

That's pretty much walking away with it!

However it's nice to be top! What a random division this is!

We really should be looking to be more positive.

Given the shit the club has done to itself and the raggedy arsed condition it's left itself in - this tbh.

In fact anything that leaves us a reasonably attractive proposition for a buyout we need to be thankful for.