Lake District

luckyluke

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go Ape is a high level rope course at Grizedale Forest visitor centre. Great fun

Go for a walk!

Jennings brewery is at Cockermouth.

Avoid Ambleside and Bowness if you don't like pensioner coach parties

Thinking of taking my girlfriend to the Lakes this weekend, any recommendations for places to stay/things to see etc?

If you centre around Windermere there is plenty of places to go. you can get the ferry on Windermere to other places around it. Like Ambleside, though that (like most) is largely walking shops, tourist shops etc. If you get the weather its a cracking place. If you fancy walking there is an abundance of really easy to stupidly difficult walks you could do. Pubs are a plenty. If you dont get the weather, it can be miserable as sin as when it rains there, it RAINS :D

Don't take her to the Pencil Museum in Keswick. She'll leave you.

My bastard parents actually took me there when I was eight. :icon_lol:

:D Parents of a friend of mine had a holiday cottage over there so we used to head across en masse every summer. Annual pilgrimage to the Pencil Museum and the Sellafield Visitors' Centre then onward to the nearest local pub for local people. All good fun. :icon_lol:

Well it's my homeland so I guess I'd better give an offering.

Depends what you're after but unless you're into the real touristy shite, I'd avoid Bowness and Windermere like the fucking plague.

If you're after the natural unspoilt beauty of the place, get to Keswick and head south past Derwent Water towards Seatoller / Seathwaite. It'll take you to the base of Great Gable and then you carry on up over Honister Pass where the drop down to Buttermere & Crummock Water is one of the best views in the whole of the Lakes IMO.

The most stunning lake of them all I think is Wast Water, but it's a trek all on it's own to get out there.

If you're after a semi-touristy place then try Hawkshead (in Grizedale, between Coniston & Windermere).

I'd also get to Coniston village too. The Ruskin museum is definitely worth a visit. :D

If you're staying and it's your first time, Keswick is a good base, plus theres always plenty people around in the town on the night so the boozers are generally busy and theres a wide choice of places to eat.

If you're after the natural unspoilt beauty of the place, get to Keswick and head south past Derwent Water towards Seatoller / Seathwaite. It'll take you to the base of Great Gable and then you carry on up over Honister Pass where the drop down to Buttermere & Crummock Water is one of the best views in the whole of the Lakes IMO.

Very nice area, yes.

But that's a drive, get out of the car and up the hills on foot. :D (could go Base Brown, Green Gable, Great Gable from there)

The most stunning lake of them all I think is Wast Water, but it's a trek all on it's own to get out there.

Nothing a fit young hamster shouldn't be able to easily manage from Seatoller or Seathwaite and back in a day.

I stayed here about a month ago. Very nice place but has a relaxed vibe at the same time. It only does B&B but it's right in the middle of Grasmere so you could walk to plenty places to eat / drink. Grasmere makes a nice base too as it's smack in the middle of the Lakes but has a nice village feel to it once the day trippers have gone. Make sure you check out the ginger bread too. It's lush.

I stayed here about a month ago. Very nice place but has a relaxed vibe at the same time. It only does B&B but it's right in the middle of Grasmere so you could walk to plenty places to eat / drink. Grasmere makes a nice base too as it's smack in the middle of the Lakes but has a nice village feel to it once the day trippers have gone. Make sure you check out the ginger bread too. It's lush.

I'd go for Grasmere too. You haven't really said what you want to do but assuming you're after a romantic weekend and have a car this has got to be the place. Plenty of bars/restaurants (quiet when the day trippers have gone as Alex says), nice walks, home of Wordsworth, and the most central location in the lakes. I went there last year and stayed in the Best Western, it's a top quality hotel (bit pricey though obviously).

Other place I personally like include Patterdale/Glen Ridding, Keswick and Buttermere (the former two are convenient from my direction). If you want something more remote then there's places to stay in Borrowdale, Langdale etc. There's one hotel in Wast water. Never stayed there but I'd really like to because its a Mecca for fell walking. Only go to Bowness if you like Blackpool on the lakes.

Definitely try the Gingerbread at Grasmere. I love the stuff, and when pieces of it 'accidentally' break at work I'm happy to be the recipient! I've not really had too much experience of the Lake District bearing in mind it's under an hours drive away from me, but I did have a great time at Conniston a few years back.

Thanks for the advice everyone. We had a great time, stayed in Windemere (I had to book just after JawD posted - just bought a dehumidifer as well btw, you are my guiding influence at the moment :D), but also visited and walked around Grasmere, Coniston etc and made it as far west at Broughton in Furness. It pissed it down yesterday so we just came straight back, although I toyed with the idea of taking her to the pencil museum. :D

The gingerbread from Grasmere is indeed lush tttt.

Yes, except they're called Fells.

:lol: Yes you can call them that if it makes you really angry to call them hills/mountains/results of orogenesis, personally it's more a matter of perspective. :D