Lake District

luckyluke

Renton, you should try Dungeon Ghyll and Jacks Rake (on Pavey Ark crag).

The ghyll is a decent wee romp, go up the ghyll then cross over to Sprinkling Tarn. The cliff at the back of the tarn can be climbed diagonally (btm right to top left) by a "path" called Jacks Rake.

The ghyll is 5 minutes from the car park at New Dungeon Ghyll pub in Langdale.

The whole thing can be done in a 1/2 day.

I love scrambling, adds a little extra to walks.

Jack's Rake is fantastic.

It is!

The green line shows the route:

cresclimb01.jpg

3626684354_bfb6818feb.jpg?v=0

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from a lovely week in the lakes, as usual staying in a canny little caravan on the Haven site in Grange over sands.

Day 1 Tarn Hows

Park at the top and take the waterfall route down to Yew tree farm for delicious Herdwick lamb baguettes.

ey4dxpto30as.jpg

This has been a family favourite for the last few years and the delicious food at the bottom is worth the trek down and the strenuos hike back up to the top. Imagine the look on our faces when we got to the bottom only to find the farm had now closed its tea rooms!!!

Day 2 Grizedale Forrest

Quite simply a beautiful location to walk or mountain bike. Get there early and enjoy a delicious early morning fry up from the visitor centre before setting off.

grizedale-forest-standing-trees.jpg

Day 3 South Lakes Wild Animal Park

If you like Zoos this is a really nice little zoo. First time we've being and it was excellent value for money. Particularly good fun to Hand feed the Giraffes from the aerial walkway.

park_29.5.05_025.jpg_01042008-1613-40.jpg

Day 4 Grasmere and shopping

Found a simply divine eatery in Grasmere called Tweedies based at the Dale Lodge Hotel. A little more than you would normally pay for pub grub but honestly it was outstanding.

Bar.jpg

They also run an event in September called the Grasmere Guzzler over 3 days.

An annual celebration of real ale, with live music and family orientated entertainment. The fourth Annual Grasmere Guzzler Festival is set to be biggest and best yet. Over three days the Dale Lodge Hotel and Tweedies Bar will provide a host of music and entertainment, with a grand Bar-B-Que including Hog Roasts and a plethora of Real Ales. The food will be prepared by Dale Lodge's renowned Chef James Goodall and his team. It promises to be a culinary delight beyond the standard Bar-B-Que.

The rooms look quite nice too and I can vouch for the real ale.

roomwindows.jpg

Overall a lovely little break away and good weather to boot. :icon_lol:

Tory Boy

Found a simply divine eatery in Grasmere called Tweedies based at the Dale Lodge Hotel. A little more than you would normally pay for pub grub but honestly it was outstanding.

:icon_lol:

Daaaahling, was the Montrachet to die for?

Tory Boy

B)

;)

Tweedies is bog standard anyway. :icon_lol:

Still haven't got round to contacting your friends btw MF, not had time, hopefully will later in the year.

Tory Boy

;)

:razz:

Still haven't got round to contacting your friends btw MF, not had time, hopefully will later in the year.

No bother mate.

He runs courses year round. Enjoy. Planning on taking my nipper on her first camping trip soon. B)

Tory Boy

B)

;)

Features in the coveted Michelin recommended good pud food guide

Camra pub of the year

Is there actually any subject that you dont talk complete bollocks about. :razz:

Tory Boy

;)

:razz:

Camra pub of the year

Is there actually any subject that you dont talk complete bollocks about. :icon_lol:

I was there at Easter so I'm talking from recent personal experience. It's OK but not special, better than the Lamb Inn which is rubbish, but nowhere near as good as the Swan Hotel up the road. All opinions at the end of the day but its difficult to see how it deserves your pompous description.

You're clearly feeling rattled btw, perhaps you need another break dear, as the last one doesn't seem to have worked. B)

Edit: I might add that I did use a wink so don't really want a debate over this. Also I'll add that these awards are dubious in my experience to say the least, been in some awful 'award winning' pubs and restaurants before.

Edited by Renton

Tory Boy

Camra pub of the year

Is there actually any subject that you dont talk complete bollocks about. :rolleyes:

I was there at Easter so I'm talking from recent personal experience. It's OK but not special, better than the Lamb Inn which is rubbish, but nowhere near as good as the Swan Hotel up the road. All opinions at the end of the day but its difficult to see how it deserves your pompous description.

You're clearly feeling rattled btw, perhaps you need another break dear, as the last one doesn't seem to have worked. B)

;) So in a few hours its moved from BOG STANDARD to OK :razz::icon_lol::scratchchin:

Now see you could have just said that in the first place rather than trying to be a little smarty pants.

Tory Boy

:rolleyes:

Camra pub of the year

Is there actually any subject that you dont talk complete bollocks about. :rolleyes:

:razz: So in a few hours its moved from BOG STANDARD to OK :icon_lol::scratchchin::icon_lol:

Now see you could have just said that in the first place rather than trying to be a little smarty pants.

Did you not see the wink? Wind your neck in man, I'm using economy bait here. ;)

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I'm off to Keswick the weekend after next, can't wait to be on the Hills again.

The ghyll is a decent wee romp, go up the ghyll then cross over to Sprinkling Tarn. The cliff at the back of the tarn can be climbed diagonally (btm right to top left) by a "path" called Jacks Rake.

as close to a real climb as it gets - but apart from the dodgy bit in the middle its remarkably unexposed to the drop

as close to a real climb as it gets - but apart from the dodgy bit in the middle its remarkably unexposed to the drop

I got to the base of it at Easter after walking from Grasmere, but gave it a miss because by this time my hands had lost all sensation in the bitter cold. I then proceeded to get lost on the moors behind the Langdale pikes and was shattered by the time I got back - I'm investing in a GPS system asap. Definitely on the list to do mind.

Day 2 Grizedale Forrest

Quite simply a beautiful location to walk or mountain bike. Get there early and enjoy a delicious early morning fry up from the visitor centre before setting off.

Its a gorgeous place, but the biking there is shite.

Day 2 Grizedale Forrest

Its a gorgeous place, but the biking there is shite.

Never done it so I'll leave the finer judgement to you. There was however lots of serious looking Mountain bikers there!

One of the trails is featured on You Tube (below) and quite frankly I could only do it with stableisers. :icon_lol:

Regularly see mountain bikers carrying their bikes up the fells - Hellvelyn, High Street etc. The mad bastards, as if walking up them isn't knackering enough.

I always love to see the proper fell walkers around the lakes and always feel quite envious. Last year I even planned to do sca fell this year but other things just crop up, particularly with a family in tow.

However having googled a few images of jack's rake today......

jacksrake.png

I can say without hesitation that you are all fucking loopy. :icon_lol:

Going to take the girlfriend for a bit of fell walking and such over a weekend this summer, any recommended B&Bs around keswick?

I suppose if it's not the north face of the Eiger, it's fucking shit in your world, isn't it? :icon_lol:

Regularly see mountain bikers carrying their bikes up the fells - Hellvelyn, High Street etc. The mad bastards, as if walking up them isn't knackering enough.

I always love to see the proper fell walkers around the lakes and always feel quite envious. Last year I even planned to do sca fell this year but other things just crop up, particularly with a family in tow.

However having googled a few images of jack's rake today......

jacksrake.png

I can say without hesitation that you are all fucking loopy. :icon_lol:

sca fells a lovely walk, ages since I did it mind, must be 5-6 years

thats why Im going with the gf this summer, revisit a bit, helvellyn (not the striding edge route) was my favourite and when I did skiddaw the weather was atrocious so I want to give ti a shot in nice weather

Did High Street last year from Stavely, a nice 78k ride, was tough climbing up I must say.

TNF at Grizedale is Waaaaaaayyyy overated IMO. Mind you, most trail centres are, give me natural MTBing any day.

Did High Street last year from Stavely, a nice 78k ride, was tough climbing up I must say.

TNF at Grizedale is Waaaaaaayyyy overated IMO. Mind you, most trail centres are, give me natural MTBing any day.

Im sure theres mountain bikers and then theres mountain bikers!!!

As cat bells is no Jacks rack to the walkers.

Im sure theres mountain bikers and then theres mountain bikers!!!

As cat bells is no Jacks rack to the walkers.

Aye, were all different. I rode at Dalby yesterday which is miles better than Grizdale. I went because it was my mates first time riding there. You see funny sights at Trail centres. Goons on Full Sussers and baggy shorts taking backpack full of the kitchen sink B)

Yesterday was sunny and nice, I was wearing my shorts and cycle shirt with gillet, perfect. I saw at least 2 riders with full weather gear on!!