Lake District

luckyluke

I go over the lakes walking every year. Couple of years back we were doing Fairfield Horseshoe. Up on top it was foggy as fuck and literly couldnt see 6ft in front of you. We ended up taking the wrong path and went over Dove Crag and St Sunday Crag. Proper hands and knee's stuff at times but breathtaking when the fog lifted. We ended up miles off course and got a taxi back as we ended up in Patterdale and not Ambleside!

This is a google of St Sunday summit

Pinridge01.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go over the lakes walking every year. Couple of years back we were doing Fairfield Horseshoe. Up on top it was foggy as fuck and literly couldnt see 6ft in front of you. We ended up taking the wrong path and went over Dove Crag and St Sunday Crag. Proper hands and knee's stuff at times but breathtaking when the fog lifted. We ended up miles off course and got a taxi back as we ended up in Patterdale and not Ambleside!

This is a google of St Sunday summit

Pinridge01.jpg

Fairfield is impossible to navigate in the clag like, mind, that is one hell of a blunder nonetheless!

I don't think that's a photo of the summit of St Sunday crag though whatever Googles says. The summit is actually quite smooth and whalebacked , with an indistinct top with no cairn iirc. That looks like it could be pinnacle ridge which leads ot the summit from Grisedale. You don't need me to tell you that descending straight into the valleys when you're lost is very dangerous, I'm sure. Lucky to get back in one piece never mind short of a few quid. :icon_lol:

Well, fairfield has what, six paths leading off it? Was funny like, I go with My Dad (he is 63) and his mate. They were walking in one direction and I was protesting saying it didnt seem right as the compas said one thing and them another, but off we went anyway B) You wouldnt usually need a compass for that walk but its in my pack anyway. The crag (if it wasnt St sunday, Ill have to check) - was from ambleside, up fairfield and on top of fairfield then walking right. We initially started walked straight over which goes down a shale path towards a tarn but then decided that was wrong, scrambled back up the side towards this craggy climb. Not that on the pic like, but fuck me my arse was twitching ;)

Ive pulled out some actual shots we took on the walk :

On top of Fairfield:

cnv00133.th.jpg

This was looking back to the crag after fairfield. Doesnt show it too well, poor pic like.

cnv00139.th.jpg

Another looking back to fairfield with that tarn on the right that we nearly walked towards.

dsc01606lg.th.jpg

Then the next bit we walked up from there

dsc01601bty.th.jpg

Im trying to see a map to see where we did walk. Basically ambleside to fairfield, up great rig etc and then to patterdale. I wonder if it was maybe cofa Pike?

We dont the walk again last year, getting it right this time and actually doing the horseshoe :icon_lol:

Edited by JawD

Renton, you should try Dungeon Ghyll and Jacks Rake (on Pavey Ark crag).

The ghyll is a decent wee romp, go up the ghyll then cross over to Sprinkling Tarn. The cliff at the back of the tarn can be climbed diagonally (btm right to top left) by a "path" called Jacks Rake.

The ghyll is 5 minutes from the car park at New Dungeon Ghyll pub in Langdale.

The whole thing can be done in a 1/2 day.

I love scrambling, adds a little extra to walks.

Jack's Rake is fantastic.

as close to a real climb as it gets - but apart from the dodgy bit in the middle its remarkably unexposed to the drop

I suppose if it's not the north face of the Eiger, it's fucking shit in your world, isn't it? :icon_lol:

what I meant is you can do it without a rope dear boy and even though it appears to be a death defying cliff below when you are in it its rather like a protected groove. I've done it twice and i still rate it as my most "extreme" walk

I understand why people climb (rather than walk or scramble) but its never been for me TBH

I know this is off topic a bit but has anyone here done the Aonach Eagach in Glen Coe? It's become something of an obsession of mine if I'm honest, I'm trying to pluck up the courage to do it one day (without a guide or a rope). Any lurkers perhaps?

Image04B.jpg

I'll also have the opportunity to try Liathach this summer weather and courage permitting.

088_View_of_Liathach_from_Stuc_a_Choire_Dhuibh_Bhig.jpg

Aonach Eagach is great but keep an eye on the weather - it can blow in fast one the western coast and the number of safe ways off is limited - you should stop at each one and take a very realistic look at your options before the next escape route

never managed Liathach or Suilven but once had great fun on Stac Polly - bloody greta eagle whirling around - maybe it knew more about the accident rate than I did!

Aonach Eagach is great but keep an eye on the weather - it can blow in fast one the western coast and the number of safe ways off is limited - you should stop at each one and take a very realistic look at your options before the next escape route

never managed Liathach or Suilven but once had great fun on Stac Polly - bloody greta eagle whirling around - maybe it knew more about the accident rate than I did!

But everything I've read about the AE says there is no safe escape route once you have descended the first chimney from Am Bodach (which is basically the start on the East-West route). It's the very fact that it is so committing that I find so frightening - onwards or die basically.

Maybe I should consider a guide, but I like to be a free agent on the hills.

But everything I've read about the AE says there is no safe escape route once you have descended the first chimney from Am Bodach (which is basically the start on the East-West route). It's the very fact that it is so committing that I find so frightening - onwards or die basically.

Maybe I should consider a guide, but I like to be a free agent on the hills.

brave man................ I backed off when the cloud started to come in

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely walk around Buttermere at the weekend - Fleetwith Pike, Haystacks, High Crag, High Stile, and Red Pike. Then a relaxing stroll on Catbells yesterday. I think I may need a knee transplant.

• 2 weeks later...

The ghyll is a decent wee romp, go up the ghyll then cross over to Sprinkling Tarn. The cliff at the back of the tarn can be climbed diagonally (btm right to top left) by a "path" called Jacks Rake.

It is!

The green line shows the route:

cresclimb01.jpg

3626684354_bfb6818feb.jpg?v=0

I was back in Grasmere at the weekend and gave Jack's Rake a go. It was much harder than I had been led to believe! I tried to stick to the inside groove (on the right) but it was too wet to get a decent grip. This meant the only option was to swing out to the left, I almost puked when I made the mistake of looking down onto the floor of the tarn some 100 metres below me. Scarey to think that one slip and it might be all over. My hands are now covered in lacerations and my knees are bruised to hell.

This is about my limit for now. The Aonach Eagach will have to wait until I have the time to develop some rock climbing skills.

Guest The Three Lions

It is!

cresclimb01.jpg

I was back in Grasmere at the weekend and gave Jack's Rake a go. It was much harder than I had been led to believe! I tried to stick to the inside groove (on the right) but it was too wet to get a decent grip. This meant the only option was to swing out to the left, I almost puked when I made the mistake of looking down onto the floor of the tarn some 100 metres below me. Scarey to think that one slip and it might be all over. My hands are now covered in lacerations and my knees are bruised to hell.

This is about my limit for now. The Aonach Eagach will have to wait until I have the time to develop some rock climbing skills.

Did you not have safety ropes? Fuck that. How did you get down?

It is!

cresclimb01.jpg

I don't own a rope or know how to use one. You don't go down -that would be harder - you keep going up until you get to the top.

Guest The Three Lions

It is!

cresclimb01.jpg

I don't own a rope or know how to use one. You don't go down -that would be harder - you keep going up until you get to the top.

OK there's a safe way down from the top. You're braver than me mate, you're risking your life on the sturdiness of rocks. Well done though, but surely a pub with the World Cup on is more tempting, although I imagine the sense of achievement is great when you get to the top.

It must've been pretty wet to force you out of the groove Renton?

I've only ever done it when it's been dry ( well, dry for the Lakes).

Is that your chin minge in the piccy then Renton? :lol:

Is that your chin minge in the piccy then Renton? :D

He's a random posted by you. :lol:

Saturday in the lake was glorious - perfect conditions - but the groove was still too slippy for me. The rocks at the side were dry but badly exposed. Also about halfway up there was a ledge with loads of proper rockclimbers. I nearly tripped over one of their ropes. That would have been an ironic way to go.

Is that your chin minge in the piccy then Renton? :D

He's a random posted by you. :lol:

Saturday in the lake was glorious - perfect conditions - but the groove was still too slippy for me. The rocks at the side were dry but badly exposed. Also about halfway up there was a ledge with loads of proper rockclimbers. I nearly tripped over one of their ropes. That would have been an ironic way to go.

:icon_lol:

Thought the daft twat looked familiar.

Did the rock jockeys speak to you, or were they too cool ?

Is that your chin minge in the piccy then Renton? :icon_lol:

He's a random posted by you. :D

;)

Thought the daft twat looked familiar.

Did the rock jockeys speak to you, or were they too cool ?

Faint look of disdain as in 'wtf do you think you are doing here'. Or I could have imagined that, I had brown pants on by that time. :lol:

Nah, I doubt you imagined it. They can be some of the most elitist twats in existence.

I'm guessing they had their ropes trailing about all over the fecking shop ?stand on their rope- drives them crazy.

( when I was into my climbing, a favourite of mine if I came across any arrogant fuckers was to drop an evil , Jennings fuelledfart beside their belay, knowing they couldn't move away from it).

Nah, I doubt you imagined it. They can be some of the most elitist twats in existence.

I'm guessing they had their ropes trailing about all over the fecking shop ?stand on their rope- drives them crazy.

( when I was into my climbing, a favourite of mine if I came across any arrogant fuckers was to drop an evil , Jennings fuelledfart beside their belay, knowing they couldn't move away from it).

:lol:

Aye, there is a strange hiearchy on the hills. Something like free climbers > aided climbers > scramblers > walkers > tourists.

I find walkers fully kitted with gators and poles quite irritating, sometimes with a never-used ice axe, tutting because someone has dared to go on the hills wearing jeans and trainers. Seemingly unaware that on some hills it is them that look ridiculously out of place.

Aye, gear freaks are hilarious.

Once watched a lad turn out in full Alpine body harness, lid, double ropes etc for a 35 ft beginner route in Northumberland. In the time it took him to put his kit on, me and my mate were up and down our route.

We watched the bloke tackle the Belford Eiger from a distance.

He fell off.

The ones that get me are those who march around Keswick in full kit- boots, gaiters, top of the range jackets, walking poles etc. All of it shiny and new. It'll be 10 o'clock , they clearly have no plans to go into the hills. A hoot.

Walker/Tourist here :lol:

Had a great day on saturday went up Helvellyn from Wythburn got some good photos

29710_10150211779780304_862890303_13064183_1549928_n.jpg

yesterday was a bit shit, raining everywhere so did a bit of touristing and wandered around Bowness

Walker/Tourist here :D

Had a great day on saturday went up Helvellyn from Wythburn got some good photos

yesterday was a bit shit, raining everywhere so did a bit of touristing and wandered around Bowness

Gaitered up ? :lol:

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Walker/Tourist here :icon_lol:

Gaitered up ? :lol:

Jeans and a tshirt :D

29710_10150211779840304_862890303_13064189_2768770_n.jpg