Old firm in the premiership

Kevin Carr's Gloves

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They wouldn't be mediocre for long Isegrim. Which to be fair is why most premiership clubs are very resistant to the idea of them joining. It won't happen.

55624[/snapback]

I know, I just looked for a reason to post this picture... ;)

A bit harsh considering the fact you acknowledge that it is only a minority who are bigotted. How many Newcastle and Sunderland fans are bigotted towards each other? Given your previous definitions on what constitutes bigotry, I don't think the fact there is a religion element to it is really significant.

55606[/snapback]

I know what you mean, I'm surprised it took someone as long as this to pick me up on it. I just feel that if an English club had a problem with racism like some did 20 years ago they would not be allowed into the league now. For me Celtic and Rangers have a problem of that scale now.

It certainly doesn't seem to get the attention it needs to get sorted, maybe people don't shout loudly enough about this divide, God forbid there were Jews or Muslims involved! ;)

55618[/snapback]

Well, for the record, I can see the problems people hae with Celtic/Rangers in the premiership. I speak purely from a selfish point of view in that I would relish the opportunity of going up to Glasgow twice a year rather than London seven times a year. I just think it would spice things up at a time when the premiership has become unbelievably flat and boring.

But what about my idea for an anglo-scottish league cup? Would that not make this pointless competition a bit more interesting? I made this point once on a 5-live debate, only for McMenemy of all people to poo poo it, claiming it was too far for London clubs to travel. The wanker. :D

55621[/snapback]

Is you idea to have all the competitive teams in Scotland and England play in the same cup or just the top league from each ? It sounds quite nice but if you do have all the teams in it, can you imagine a semi-professional team such as Elgin playing against a) someone like Chelsea where the score would quite easily get into double figures b.) someone like Plymouth where there's no particular interest to travel many hundred miles to get beaten ?

Edit: silly smiley.

Edited by Walliver

A bit harsh considering the fact you acknowledge that it is only a minority who are bigotted. How many Newcastle and Sunderland fans are bigotted towards each other? Given your previous definitions on what constitutes bigotry, I don't think the fact there is a religion element to it is really significant.

55606[/snapback]

I know what you mean, I'm surprised it took someone as long as this to pick me up on it. I just feel that if an English club had a problem with racism like some did 20 years ago they would not be allowed into the league now. For me Celtic and Rangers have a problem of that scale now.

It certainly doesn't seem to get the attention it needs to get sorted, maybe people don't shout loudly enough about this divide, God forbid there were Jews or Muslims involved! ;)

55618[/snapback]

Well, for the record, I can see the problems people hae with Celtic/Rangers in the premiership. I speak purely from a selfish point of view in that I would relish the opportunity of going up to Glasgow twice a year rather than London seven times a year. I just think it would spice things up at a time when the premiership has become unbelievably flat and boring.

But what about my idea for an anglo-scottish league cup? Would that not make this pointless competition a bit more interesting? I made this point once on a 5-live debate, only for McMenemy of all people to poo poo it, claiming it was too far for London clubs to travel. The wanker. :huff:

55621[/snapback]

Is you idea to have all the competitive teams in Scotland and England play in the same cup or just the top league from each ? It sounds quite nice but if you do have all the teams in it, can you imagine a semi-professional team such as Elgin playing against a) someone like Chelsea where the score would quite easily get into double figures :D someone like Plymouth where there's no particular interest to travel many hundred miles to get beaten ?

55637[/snapback]

I guess it would mean all the leaugue teams from the English and Scottish leagues. But tbh, there's a lot of shit fixtures already, I don't see a problem.

Edited by Renton

55606[/snapback]

55618[/snapback]

But what about my idea for an anglo-scottish league cup? Would that not make this pointless competition a bit more interesting? I made this point once on a 5-live debate, only for McMenemy of all people to poo poo it, claiming it was too far for London clubs to travel. The wanker. :huff:

55621[/snapback]

Is you idea to have all the competitive teams in Scotland and England play in the same cup or just the top league from each ? It sounds quite nice but if you do have all the teams in it, can you imagine a semi-professional team such as Elgin playing against a) someone like Chelsea where the score would quite easily get into double figures :D someone like Plymouth where there's no particular interest to travel many hundred miles to get beaten ?

55637[/snapback]

I guess it would mean all the leaugue teams from the English and Scottish leagues. But tbh, there's a lot of shit fixtures already, I don't see a problem.

55639[/snapback]

A semi-pro team in the far reaches of the North would have to spend quite a bit of money on travel, hotels and trying to get their players off work to enable them to visit another poor team in the south of England getting very little money in return. These teams know they're not going to get very far in these cups, why would they want to enter ?

It might be a better idea to have qualifying sections in each country so that you'd get maybe 6 Scottish teams and 10 English teams in the pot for the round before the quarters ?

55606[/snapback]

55618[/snapback]

55621[/snapback]

55637[/snapback]

55639[/snapback]

A semi-pro team in the far reaches of the North would have to spend quite a bit of money on travel, hotels and trying to get their players off work to enable them to visit another poor team in the south of England getting very little money in return. These teams know they're not going to get very far in these cups, why would they want to enter ?

It might be a better idea to have qualifying sections in each country so that you'd get maybe 6 Scottish teams and 10 English teams in the pot for the round before the quarters ?

55642[/snapback]

Well yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Got to be an improvement on the league cup.

55606[/snapback]

55618[/snapback]

55621[/snapback]

55637[/snapback]

55639[/snapback]

55642[/snapback]

Well yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Got to be an improvement on the league cup.

55657[/snapback]

We've had an Anglo-Scottish cup before. It was shite.

55684[/snapback]

When and why?

55689[/snapback]

early to mid 70's,i think the texaco cup was basically an anglo scottish cup,and at the time it wasn't crap,but only we seemed to take i tserious.

55684[/snapback]

When and why?

55689[/snapback]

early to mid 70's,i think the texaco cup was basically an anglo scottish cup,and at the time it wasn't crap,but only we seemed to take i tserious.

55718[/snapback]

It was pretty much a consolation cup, for those who weren't good enouth to qualify for Europe properly.

Unfotunately, those who were happy with mid table standards in those day, as success was merely avoiding a relagation fight, thought it was pretty "cool".

Shit. 2nd rate. For losers. Pretty much like those now who seem to be happy with Souness delivering the same.

55684[/snapback]

When and why?

55689[/snapback]

Look here Anglo Scotch Cup.

I'd forgotten about it until this thread started up, and I went to those matches! We won it in 73-74 and in 74-75. Nobody cares, though.

Only 1 Scotch club ever won it, which sums it up really. The gap is even bigger now.

The jocks took it seriously, as it was an attempt to beat the english !!

And - now that I am older - I realise that playing us was a good excuse for a good piss up in the toon !!

Who went to the the Rangers game in 1969 ? I was in the Leazes End [of course]

If the likes of Cardiff, Wrexham and Swansea can play in the English league, I don't see why Scottish teams can't too, however if they wish to join then they should start from the bottom and earn their way up.

55392[/snapback]

Aye - it would only take them 10-12 years ;):D:huff:<_<

• 6 years later...

Reading the paper today, apparently Celtic have been in talks with all of the clubs in League One and they're all receptive to them joining. I'm all for them coming here to be honest, if only to see their arrogance disappear after twenty years of Premiership relegation, Championship play off battles. Because that's what would happen without an oligarch.

They'd win league one but would probably land at around Leeds' level in the championship.

Their crowds would sharp dwindle when teams like Charton nip by & steal the 3 points.

without 2 teams capable of making a reasonable run in europe the nations coefficient will drop off quickly anyway, eventually they won't be able to qualify for the CL at all

They'd win league one but would probably land at around Leeds' level in the championship.

Their crowds would sharp dwindle when teams like Charton nip by & steal the 3 points.

Spot on. Leeds is what they'd be. The best case scenario would be like us or Everton. They'd be taking thousands away the first few years but they'd soon get bored of Oldham and Hull though, in the same way they don't sell out Kilmarnock which is just 25 miles away, and can't sell out Cup Semi Finals in their own city. I think even playing in League One and the Championship would do them good though, the SPL is so fucking boring now, they're not even a good side but by far and away the best in that league. There's not a player in Scotland who would get in our side, they're so deluded they'd contest that, but genuinely there's not one.

Nerh fuck em. They're so bigoted about us until they want our money... Not that i'd want Rangers either. They're both Scottish and have no history in our league. Let em rot or make em join the Northern League.

Don't want all that bigotry being brought down here.

However, I do think everyone in this thread is understating how they would fare though. With the Sky money I think they'd eventually settle as a top half premier league side. I'd say they are equal with us size-wise and are bigger than the likes of Villa and Everton.

I agree at the moment that Scottish football is shite but they are operating on a different financial playing field.

Edited by Billy Whitehurst