Old firm in the premiership

Kevin Carr's Gloves

Don't want all that bigotry being brought down here.

However, I do think everyone in this thread is understating how the would fare though. With the Sky money I think they'd eventually settle as a top half premier league side. I'd say they are equal with us size-wise and are bigger than the likes of Villa and Everton.

I agree at the moment that Scottish football is shite but they are operating on a different financial playing field.

with the sky money, that they wont get in league 1, the crowds that they wont get when they don't win every week.

they'll be lucky to get to the premier league in 2 seasons and when they dont manage that they won't get the things that give them such an advantage in scotland. theyre playing teams that can keep hold of their better players even in the championship you won't leave a top CCC side for Celtic if they aren't in europe anymore.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I do think everyone in this thread is understating how they would fare though. With the Sky money I think they'd eventually settle as a top half premier league side. I'd say they are equal with us size-wise and are bigger than the likes of Villa and Everton.

I agree at the moment that Scottish football is shite but they are operating on a different financial playing field.

I'd agree with that, and the same with Rangers, we're all about the same size, but we have proven throughout history we are more loyal support than all of those, and what would their support be if they went 20 years without a trophy (which could happen/would be likely imo).

Would be interesting to see them go to Chelsea or Millwall singing their republican political songs like.

However, I do think everyone in this thread is understating how they would fare though. With the Sky money I think they'd eventually settle as a top half premier league side. I'd say they are equal with us size-wise and are bigger than the likes of Villa and Everton.

Agreed. The Old Firm aren't just about football for a lot of their fans, it's part of their identity. In a certain amount of fans that is displayed in their bigotry and genuine hatred of the other side but I do believe that they would have fantastic attendances in League 1 and the Championship (relative to the league averages) provided they didn't languish too long down there. And if they made the PL then they would have full houses for most games.

That said, I don't want to see them in English football.

I'd agree with that, and the same with Rangers, we're all about the same size, but we have proven throughout history we are more loyal support than all of those, and what would their support be if they went 20 years without a trophy (which could happen/would be likely imo).

Would be interesting to see them go to Chelsea or Millwall singing their republican political songs like.

Yep, football is almost secondary for some of their fans, the bigotry thing is sad as fuck. We don't want to be having to put up with that sort of shite in our league.

The Scottish league deserves the pair of them.

I'd have them personally and would attend the away matches. Variety is the spice of life and all that; the EPL can get a bit stale. They should start off in the 2nd division though imo. I also think people are underestimating them. They *(fans) might be fickle but that might be related to how shit the SPL is and always has been. They'd be massive in the EPL though. It would require a serious investment in policing which they should shoulder as well.

Yep, football is almost secondary for some of their fans, the bigotry thing is sad as fuck. We don't want to be having to put up with that sort of shite in our league.

The Scottish league deserves the pair of them.

Why? Are you anti-scottish? If so, why?

You mention the cost of policing there Rention, if they joined.

That's reason enough not to let them for me. Thousands of fans travel to other citys every week in the PL with little to no trouble, why on earth would anyone let these radgies go on the rampage in every city they visit for a season? ( Which is not an unlikely scenario imo)

You mention the cost of policing there Rention, if they joined.

That's reason enough not to let them for me. Thousands of fans travel to other citys every week in the PL with little to no trouble, why on earth would anyone let these radgies go on the rampage in every city they visit for a season? ( Which is not an unlikely scenario imo)

I think once the novelty has worn off it wouldn't be a greater problem than ManU or city visiting. I accept I may be wrong like. I'm into this for mainly selfish reasons though - I'd love to see us play against them competively at Ibrox and Celtic park (perhaps combined with some walking/climbing ;)). Many of us here have a kinship with the scots after all. Also, I'm sure it would benefit the remaining members of the SPL. Not arsed either way much but personally I feel closer to Glasgow than London.

I'd have them personally and would attend the away matches. Variety is the spice of life and all that; the EPL can get a bit stale. They should start off in the 2nd division though imo. I also think people are underestimating them. They *(fans) might be fickle but that might be related to how shit the SPL is and always has been. They'd be massive in the EPL though. It would require a serious investment in policing which they should shoulder as well.

Once everything settled down they'd be about our size. Neither of them are a Manchester United or Arsenal, and they'll never have that appeal. Attracting players to Scotland would be hard too, players want to play in London over every where else.

That's another thing, the dogs of this country would be driven insane by the whining emanating from down south about the distance they'd have to go for the "Glarrsgow"games.

Probably the only plus point then.

Anybody remember the last two times Celtic came down here? Their fans were a disgrace on both occasions.

Once everything settled down they'd be about our size. Neither of them are a Manchester United or Arsenal, and they'll never have that appeal. Attracting players to Scotland would be hard too, players want to play in London over every where else.

aye, without the promise of champions league games or europe league games every season what would be the point of going up there though? they wouldn't be our size imo, they'd be fulham or stoke level. less so when theyre willing to stick people like lennon in charge

Edited by Semimental

Well they've both reached the point where they're going out of Europe before September and the quality of teams in League 1 wouldn't be much different to the rest of the SPL. It'd certainly be worth it for them both but I'm not sure whether we really want added competition in the Premier League (possibly eventually) cos they have the fan base to work with. I know a lot of Celtic fans and respect the origins of the club and like said fans, but they aren't half an arrogant bunch with an inflated sense of their importance to the rest of the world. They do find identity in their club but the rest of us couldn't give a fuck

No thanks as others have said they've acted horribly anytime they've had the chance to come to England and there's no place for the bigotry associated with them (and Rangers). They'd struggle imo not due to size of club because they're definitely of a premiership stature but their current calibre of player is Championship standard and it'd be hard to draw Premiership standard players there, so as others have mentioned they'd probably end up languishing in the Championship for a while.

Edited by Howay