Family Trees

snakehips

I dabbled a bit last year and probably the most interesting thing I found was that my grandparents weddings on both sides were less than 9 months before the birth of my Mam and my Dad's oldest brother.

My brother's doing ours and has got back to the 1300's. My Grandad always portrayed a 'whiter than white' image when he was alive and was a stickler for ensuring we 'stuck by rules'. Funnily we'd never seen any wedding pics and neither it seems, had his children (including my Mam).

Turns out the wedding had taken place only 3 months before my Nan gave birth to my Uncle. The dirty stop-outs.

Even better was my Great-Grandad on my Dad's side of the family. He was a Sgt Major in the army and my Nan was forever bleating on about how he was a pillar of society, was as regimental and professional as they came and a 'perfect role model'. Well I believed all that shit until my brother got hold of his service record. Court-marshalled 3 times for being drunk on parade - once at 6.30am!!! One of the hearings suggested he was fucking lucky to escape a dishonourable discharge. :(

On my mum's side, it's pretty much centred around the same Swedish village and looks like a Spirograph pattern.

On my dad's side, it stops dead three generations ago when the family name was changed arbitrarily to cover up what we believe to be a series of strange and unusual crimes.

Brilliant. :(

• Haha 1

My sister in law has spent 2 years fully researching my husbands family tree. Its really interesting and goes back to the 1500's. But its so time consuming, she visited different parts of the country to read the Parish records.

I don't think its inherently more "sad" than bird watching or indeed even football - if it doesn't interest you then fair enough.

My initial interest came out of some stories I heard around the time of my Mam's death. Because I was an "afterthought" baby (my Mam was 40 when she had me) I always seemed to be unaware of some of the juicier stories from the family's past as I only knew one grandparent and also as my cousins/uncles/aunts seemed to be a generation older than they should have been.

I only got back to the 1850s before I realised going any further requires a lot of time and effort.

My Dad looked into it a bit a while back (long before everyday access to the internet). Let's just say there were a few 'characters' on both my Mam and Dad's sides of the family.

Should change your username to Stock Photo.

You do have a problem with photos, don't you. :lol:

Bearing in mind the saying a picture paints a thousand words and your sparse use off words in each post, I am only suprised you choose not to use them yourself. :(

chomp-bar-med.gif

Bearing in mind the saying a picture paints a thousand words and your sparse use off words in each post, I am only suprised you choose not to use them yourself. :lol:

chomp-bar-med.gif

Are chomps only 10p there? Bastards are ripping us off here.

Not much use doing one if you're an anglo Australian, you can only ever go back as far as 1788 :(

Bearing in mind the saying a picture paints a thousand words and your sparse use off words in each post, I am only suprised you choose not to use them yourself. :lol:

chomp-bar-med.gif

Not much use doing one if you're an anglo Australian, you can only ever go back as far as 1788 :(

Yeah, and they all end up in the same place, yr'honor.

chomp-bar-med.gif

Not much use doing one if you're an anglo Australian, you can only ever go back as far as 1788 :lol:

Yeah, and they all end up in the same place, yr'honor.

Except Jimbo :(

• 12 years later...

If Fish can dig up ancient threads, so can I…

… anyway, I’ve done so because my brother just told me that, having traced our line back the Isle of Man in the 1780s about ten years ago, then hitting a brick wall, he’s managed to get further back and our Great x5 Grandparents were both born and raised in Dublin. 

It’s St. Paddy’s day tomorrow so I will be thinking about the oppression of the dirty Brits on my people,  whilst weeping stoically in to my pint of stout. 

giphy.webp

• Haha 3

Ewerk did one a while back if I remember correctly? Turns out all his descendants were English and since he found out he always goes out on St George's day dressed as a crusader drinking Carling black label I believe? :cuppa:

• Haha 6