Newcastle United 2-1 Doncaster Rovers

Deano

Got to be a resounding home win today, after a run of poor results and poor performances we expect nothing less than a 3 point return and a confident performance.

Coloccini is expected to return and is likely to replace Danny Simpson who will slot back into his RB birth allowing Raylor to fall into midfield and give us a bit more width with him and Jonas occupying the wide positions.

Nicky Butt will also step in for the banned Alan Smith so i likely engine room pairing of Butt and Guthrie with Nolan in the hole behind Andy Carroll.

---Harper---

---Simpson--Coloccini--Khizanishvili--Enrique---

---Raylor---Guthrie---Butt---Jonas---

----Nolan----

------------Carroll-----

Subs: Krul, Kadar, Tozer, Geremi, Lovenkrands, Donaldson, Ranger

Im hoping for a 2-0 win...if we score early could be a rout....

Probably a boring 0-0 draw then :P

Come on boys lets get on it!

:P

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coca Cola Championship

Venue: St James' Park Date: Saturday, 24 October 2009 Kick-off: 1500 BST

Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live, BBC local radio, Final Score & highlights on The Football League Show

TEAM NEWS

Doncaster defender Gareth Roberts is expected to return to the squad after missing the midweek win against Peterborough with a calf strain.

Simon Gillett suffered a thigh strain in that game but has been passed fit, but Brian Stock (knee) and Adam Lockwood (foot) are out.

Newcastle's Alan Smith is suspended and Steven Taylor (hamstring) is still out.

But the Magpies have been boosted by the return of defender Fabricio Coloccini after a groin injury.

MATCH PREVIEW

After back-to-back defeats and having not won in four matches, Newcastle are in danger of being dragged out of the top two unless they can pick up a much-needed victory.

Tuesday night's defeat at Scunthorpe was a real blow for the Magpies, who are carrying the pressure of being the Championship team everyone wants to beat.

Doncaster will also relish the chance to take them on and are fresh from a midweek win against Peterborough, which was their first victory in eight games.

Rovers have already beaten third-placed Cardiff this season and their passing style could frustrate Newcastle, who had problems in recent home matches against QPR and Bristol City.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Doncaster have never beaten Newcastle in any competition (D1, L6).

• Newcastle have won all three previous league meetings against Rovers at home, with an aggregate score of 11-1.

Newcastle:

• Newcastle have not won in four matches and have lost the last two.

• They are the highest placed of five clubs still unbeaten at home in this division (W4, D2).

• They have kept an unrivalled seven clean sheets in the Championship this season, conceding just eight goals.

Doncaster:

• Doncaster go to St James' Park in search of their third win of the season, and first on the road.

• Sean O'Driscoll's side have drawn an unparalleled eight Championship matches. Another would make it their 400th away from home in the Football League.

• James Coppinger is a former Newcastle player.

MOST RECENT MEETING

Newcastle 6-0 Doncaster (8 October 1973)

My Prediction: 2-0.

Edited by ChriszyD

5-1.

Another Nolan hattrick

Someone is in a confident mood today...or extremely sarcastic haha

I think if we score 1st 15 mins we could see a tonking but if not its gonna be a drab affair...one of those games me thinks.

5-1.

Another Nolan hattrick

Someone is in a confident mood today...or extremely sarcastic haha

I think if we score 1st 15 mins we could see a tonking but if not its gonna be a drab affair...one of those games me thinks.

No sarcasm here.

if we can score early in each half - i think we can do it.

we absolutely must win this one.

I think we will, just.

3-2

It could and should be an open game as Doncaster like to play football, but they are very inconsistant of late and we really should be brushing sides like this away....But how many times have we said that?!

Looking for key performances from Jonas, Guthrie, Enrique, Nolan and Carroll.

NUFC Team:

Steve Harper, Ryan Taylor, Tamas Kadar, Zurab Khizanishvili, Jose Enrique, Danny Guthrie, Nicky Butt ©, Kevin Nolan, Jonas Gutierrez, Andy Carroll, Marlon Harewood

Subs: Tim Krul, Geremi, Peter Lovenkrands, Ben Tozer, Ryan Donaldson, Wesley Ngo Baheng, Nile Ranger

Collo and Simpson injured.

NUFC Team:

Steve Harper, Ryan Taylor, Tamas Kadar, Zurab Khizanishvili, Jose Enrique, Danny Guthrie, Nicky Butt ©, Kevin Nolan, Jonas Gutierrez, Andy Carroll, Marlon Harewood

Subs: Tim Krul, Geremi, Peter Lovenkrands, Ben Tozer, Ryan Donaldson, Wesley Ngo Baheng, Nile Ranger

Still confident Lazarus?

NUFC Team:

Still confident Lazarus?

Er.....