The Poundland Challenge

Lou

I had my first go at The Poundland Challenge today. It was very fun.

Basically, you go into Poundland and pick out 3 completely random, and often useless, junky items.

You then go out onto the streets and try to give these objects away free to the passing strangers.

Not only do you have to compete against the fact that you look like a lunatic, trying to just GIVE stuff to people who walk by, you have to struggle with the fact that NO ONE in their right minds would *really* want the stuff you're trying to give away.

It was very successful, and very fun.

I gave away Rice Crispies-themed place mats, nourishing (!!) furniture wipes, and a petrol cap.

My friend gave away a pack of empty video cases, wallpaper paste, and a light switch.

Seriously, if it's free, people will just take it.

Although one guy did regard me with disdain and say "you havin' a laff???" to which I replied "yes, yes I am, actually." I don't think he liked that much. ;)

*sits back and waits for the unimpressed "oh yes, very 'zany'..", "Colin Hunt", "tsk, students", etc, type of comments* :D

Edited by Lou

I had my first go at The Poundland Challenge today.  It was very fun.

Basically, you go into Poundland and pick out 3 completely random, and often useless, junky items. 

You then go out onto the streets and try to give these objects away free to the passing strangers.

Not only do you have to compete against the fact that you look like a lunatic, trying to just GIVE stuff to people who walk by, you have to struggle with the fact that NO ONE in their right minds would *really* want the stuff you're trying to give away. 

It was very successful, and very fun.

I gave away Rice Crispies-themed place mats, nourishing (!!) furniture wipes, and a petrol cap.

My friend gave away a pack of empty video cases, wallpaper paste, and a light switch.

Seriously, if it's free, people will just take it.

Although one guy did regard me with disdain and say "you havin' a laff???"  to which I replied "yes, yes I am, actually."  I don't think he liked that much.  :D

*sits back and waits for the unimpressed "oh yes, very 'zany'..", "Colin Hunt", "tsk, students", etc, type of comments*  :huff:

55885[/snapback]

I think this idea may have been cooked up by those 'zany' types in the Poundland Marketing dept. "Tsk, advertising executives etc!"

;)

PS, Lou be careful where you do this. Seriously. Theres all sorts of nutters out there. Particularly in Newcastle.

There was quite a group of us today, so it was ok.

Actually, we didn't encounter any nutters today, which was nice. Wait a minute.... I think WE were the nutters today.... so instead I'll rephrase that to "we didn't encounter any OTHER nutters today" ;)

And I don't see why nutters should spoil our happiness-spreading fun :D

Actually, we didn't encounter any nutters today, which was nice.  Wait a minute.... I think WE were the nutters today....  so instead I'll rephrase that to "we didn't encounter any OTHER nutters today" :D

And I don't see why nutters should spoil our happiness-spreading fun :huff:

55893[/snapback]

I never meant it like that, Lou! Just meant make sure you're discriminating in who you interract with. It probably applies more to the lads in your group actually but I just meant keep your wits about you.

Theres lunatics like Peasepud out there roaming the streets ffs. ;)

Theres lunatics like Peasepud out there roaming the streets ffs.  :D

55898[/snapback]

foooking hell! just saw that, :huff:

I tried handing out free bra measuring kits one day but just kept getting slapped for me trouble, gawd theres some ungrateful woment out there. ;)

55898[/snapback]

foooking hell! just saw that, :huff:

I tried handing out free bra measuring kits one day but just kept getting slapped for me trouble, gawd theres some ungrateful woment out there. ;)

55902[/snapback]

Snakes with tits mate, snakes with tits!

Theres lunatics like Peasepud out there roaming the streets ffs.  :huff:

55898[/snapback]

foooking hell! just saw that, :P

55902[/snapback]

Snakes with tits mate, snakes with tits!

55908[/snapback]

some of them were huge n all <_<:D

Actually, we didn't encounter any nutters today, which was nice.  Wait a minute.... I think WE were the nutters today....  so instead I'll rephrase that to "we didn't encounter any OTHER nutters today" <_<

And I don't see why nutters should spoil our happiness-spreading fun :P

55893[/snapback]

I never meant it like that, Lou! Just meant make sure you're discriminating in who you interract with. It probably applies more to the lads in your group actually but I just meant keep your wits about you.

That's just the point though. I think it sucks that because there's a few crazies out there, we have to watch what we're doing. Why can't you stand out on the streets with a sign saying "FREE HUGS" and not worry about nutjobs??

And it works the other way round too, in that because there ARE some really dodgy people out there.... when you're just trying to do a nice thing, you can be seen as being one of the aforementioned dodgy people. And that sucks when you're genuinely trying to spread happiness, just for the sake of wanting to make someone smile, and they're looking for alterior motives/wondering at what point you murder them or nick their wallet.

There's a big meet in London in a few weeks. Last year everyone handed out wrapped presents (Christmas stylee) to folks in the street. This year we're not gonna do that in fear that the papers have to run the headlines: "KINDNESS CULT CAUSES BOMB SCARE" ;)

As I think I said before.... I think it's possible that WE are the nutjobs in this case... so maybe we don't have to worry after all.

I was pretty pleased with how many people we made smile today, how many hugs we got, and how many people were genuinely interested in Join Me and stuff.

55898[/snapback]

Nah, Pud's OK.... I thought you were more thinking of Wacky......! :huff:

Haha, yeh when I was re-reading my post I was like 'hmmmmm........ i don't think that looks right.....'

Thought I might get away with it though.  Damn you! ;)

55942[/snapback]

Sorry.

I'm a twat.

I just can't help myself.

I should be a teacher.

I get shit wrong more than moist people too.

Total double standards.

Haha, yeh when I was re-reading my post I was like 'hmmmmm........ i don't think that looks right.....'

55942[/snapback]

Sorry.

I'm a twat.

I should be a teacher.

Total double standards.

55970[/snapback]

Not noticed any standards at all tbh. :D

55942[/snapback]

Sorry.

I'm a twat.

I should be a teacher.

Total double standards.

55970[/snapback]

Not noticed any standards at all tbh. :D

55975[/snapback]

:huff:

Sorry miss. A bigger boy told me to do it.

Thought I might get away with it though.  Damn you! :D

55942[/snapback]

Sorry.

I'm a twat.

I should be a teacher.

Total double standards.

55970[/snapback]

Moist people?! ;)

Moist people?!  ;)

55987[/snapback]

\o/

At last someone got the deliberte mistake.

*goes to bed, bottle of stella in hand grumbling about pesky kids jumping on every mistake*

55988[/snapback]

I just assumed that as it was a deliberate mistake, there was no point in mentioning it....... :D

:huff: