NUFC not for sale + Hughton awarded 18 month deal

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just adds further weight to my belief that Moat is just an Ashley rent-a-gob.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5696881,00.html

Barry Moat admits he too would consider selling the naming rights of St James' Park were he ever to complete a takeover at Newcastle United.

Current owner Mike Ashley has taken the Championship club off the market after he could not find anyone willing to meet his £80million valuation, with local businessman Moat known to be interested.

Ashley's controversial tenure has come in for even more criticism over the past few weeks after he took the decision to rename the club's home ground sportsdirect.com@St James' Park, with Sports Direct being the sportswear firm he owns.

Although it was another hugely unpopular move by Ashley in the eyes of supporters, Moat insists it is something which most clubs have to consider.

He told Sky Sports News: "I think you have to explore things like naming rights, you have to do that.

"Unfortunately we live in a world where football is big business, and the gap between the Championship and the Premier League is getting bigger all the time.

"So you have to do things to close that gap. We need to get back up to the Premier League as quickly as possible.

"I think if you have to do some of those things, by taking the commercial benefit of a sponsor, then as far as I'm concerned if that gets the right players on the pitch, gives you the right entertainment on a Saturday, then where do I sign?"

This just adds further weight to my belief that Moat is just an Ashley rent-a-gob.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5696881,00.html

Barry Moat admits he too would consider selling the naming rights of St James' Park were he ever to complete a takeover at Newcastle United.

Current owner Mike Ashley has taken the Championship club off the market after he could not find anyone willing to meet his £80million valuation, with local businessman Moat known to be interested.

Ashley's controversial tenure has come in for even more criticism over the past few weeks after he took the decision to rename the club's home ground sportsdirect.com@St James' Park, with Sports Direct being the sportswear firm he owns.

Although it was another hugely unpopular move by Ashley in the eyes of supporters, Moat insists it is something which most clubs have to consider.

He told Sky Sports News: "I think you have to explore things like naming rights, you have to do that.

"Unfortunately we live in a world where football is big business, and the gap between the Championship and the Premier League is getting bigger all the time.

"So you have to do things to close that gap. We need to get back up to the Premier League as quickly as possible.

"I think if you have to do some of those things, by taking the commercial benefit of a sponsor, then as far as I'm concerned if that gets the right players on the pitch, gives you the right entertainment on a Saturday, then where do I sign?"

Indeed, brilliant timing Barry to say something now isnt it? Happy to be a puppet for Ashley to take the heat off him?