NUFC not for sale + Hughton awarded 18 month deal

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Yeah maybe on re-reading they are over-emphasising that game in the scheme of things - fair enough.

I don't think they are "forgetting" all of the other issues/factors in saying that but still....

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah maybe on re-reading they are over-emphasising that game in the scheme of things - fair enough.

I don't think they are "forgetting" all of the other issues/factors in saying that but still....

In fairness I don't think they are completely forgetting everything else either but it's the air of superiority and opportioning of blame to the fans for that result which I find sickening.

it's the air of superiority and opportioning of blame to the fans for that result which I find sickening.

Aye, coupled with the 'we've repeatedly turned down media requests because we don't claim to speak for the fans' bollocks.

Got back from holiday at Gatwick yesterday, picked up the Times, flicking through saw us yet again in the front pages with a piece by George Caulkin. Words literally fail me, just when you think Ashley can't make things worse, he does this. I think its the final straw for me now.

Got back from holiday at Gatwick yesterday, picked up the Times, flicking through saw us yet again in the front pages with a piece by George Caulkin. Words literally fail me, just when you think Ashley can't make things worse, he does this. I think its the final straw for me now.

Hope you had a great time. It's a little known FACT! that Ernesto 'Che' was a Newcastle United supporter. That's what I was told, anyhoo.

(some of the above may be slight boolsheet)

I had all the time in the world for our new boss... then he came out with things like playing down the renaming of St James Park and how the fans protesting could hurt the team. It strikes me he's sold his soul for that permanent deal, he's nothing more than another one of Ashley's cronies for me now.

What the fuck you doing holidaying at Gatwick?

I had all the time in the world for our new boss... then he came out with things like playing down the renaming of St James Park and how the fans protesting could hurt the team. It strikes me he's sold his soul for that permanent deal, he's nothing more than another one of Ashley's cronies for me now.

To be fair to Hughton, what is he supposed to say? He's got the manager's job - admittedly through sheer luck - at one of the biggest clubs in England. Whatever he privately thinks, there's no chance on earth he's going to publicly rubbish the owner's decisions.

Picking up Ashley's poisoned chalice

Nov 11 2009 By Andrew Hebden, The Journal

GOOD luck to Ampersand, the Merseyside-based PR and marketing company that has landed the job of selling Newcastle United sponsorship to a global audience. They'll need it.

What would until fairly recently have been seen as a fantastic commercial opportunity is now regarded by many as a poisoned chalice such is the animosity towards Mike Ashley’s regime.

Perhaps it was the extent of local anger which prompted the club to look so far afield for help in finding a new sponsor for its iconic shirt and famous stadium. After all, Ampersand has hardly impressed so far with the firm refusing to talk to our reporters about the precise nature of its involvement at St James’ and given the fact its own website is not functioning yet. (Apparently the new-look site launches in November 2009 – which is an interesting promise for a PR and marketing business to be making on November 10, 2009).

While Ampersand scours the globe for potential backers, the club has now infamously taken the decision to rename its ground in honour of Mr Ashley’s own sportswear company. Apparently, this is an effort to showcase the potential of this marketing opportunity – or in other words to highlight just how hated your brand can become by aligning itself with the current Newcastle United regime.

Many commentators have questioned just why Mr Ashley’s running of the club as a business has been so pitiful given his impressive record as a major high street retailer. The answer, as with so many other businesspeople who indulge themselves by buying a football club, probably lies in the fact that running a sports club is a quite different proposition to any typical business.

Yet the club’s recent efforts to market itself to potential sponsors is even more difficult to explain. Mr Ashley is, if nothing else, a successful salesman, so it does make you wonder why he should embark an a strategy which apparently involves upsetting as many of your most loyal customers as possible.

Winning back their goodwill is a size that is surely beyond him now. And transforming the image of his regime is surely beyond the finest PR brains that Merseyside can offer.

Ashley's astonishing conveyor belt of poor appointments goes on. He must be the luckiest man in business.

This just adds further weight to my belief that Moat is just an Ashley rent-a-gob.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5696881,00.html

Barry Moat admits he too would consider selling the naming rights of St James' Park were he ever to complete a takeover at Newcastle United.

Current owner Mike Ashley has taken the Championship club off the market after he could not find anyone willing to meet his £80million valuation, with local businessman Moat known to be interested.

Ashley's controversial tenure has come in for even more criticism over the past few weeks after he took the decision to rename the club's home ground sportsdirect.com@St James' Park, with Sports Direct being the sportswear firm he owns.

Although it was another hugely unpopular move by Ashley in the eyes of supporters, Moat insists it is something which most clubs have to consider.

He told Sky Sports News: "I think you have to explore things like naming rights, you have to do that.

"Unfortunately we live in a world where football is big business, and the gap between the Championship and the Premier League is getting bigger all the time.

"So you have to do things to close that gap. We need to get back up to the Premier League as quickly as possible.

"I think if you have to do some of those things, by taking the commercial benefit of a sponsor, then as far as I'm concerned if that gets the right players on the pitch, gives you the right entertainment on a Saturday, then where do I sign?"

This just adds further weight to my belief that Moat is just an Ashley rent-a-gob.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5696881,00.html

Barry Moat admits he too would consider selling the naming rights of St James' Park were he ever to complete a takeover at Newcastle United.

Current owner Mike Ashley has taken the Championship club off the market after he could not find anyone willing to meet his £80million valuation, with local businessman Moat known to be interested.

Ashley's controversial tenure has come in for even more criticism over the past few weeks after he took the decision to rename the club's home ground sportsdirect.com@St James' Park, with Sports Direct being the sportswear firm he owns.

Although it was another hugely unpopular move by Ashley in the eyes of supporters, Moat insists it is something which most clubs have to consider.

He told Sky Sports News: "I think you have to explore things like naming rights, you have to do that.

"Unfortunately we live in a world where football is big business, and the gap between the Championship and the Premier League is getting bigger all the time.

"So you have to do things to close that gap. We need to get back up to the Premier League as quickly as possible.

"I think if you have to do some of those things, by taking the commercial benefit of a sponsor, then as far as I'm concerned if that gets the right players on the pitch, gives you the right entertainment on a Saturday, then where do I sign?"

Indeed, brilliant timing Barry to say something now isnt it? Happy to be a puppet for Ashley to take the heat off him?