The Guitar Thread

Tom

He had a good innings like but blokes like that will literally play till they die so any death is a shame.

It's sad that his passing seems to have had little to no coverage in the press, he was a hugely influential musician. Apparently the Rolling Stones had been helping him with medical bills in latter years, and they're covering his funeral costs.

Nice vid.

• 1 month later...

for any of you guys interested in this sort of thing as I am

premier guitars youtube channel has a great playlist full of factory tours and "watch stuff get built" videos

• 2 weeks later...

Fancy a new amp once my sis moves out and I can get a little volume going in a few months

trying to justify it by going into playing overdrive

enjoying just cracking on blues songs on youtube and jamming over them, something Ive not done before but that Im finding really enjoyable, bringing out new stuff in my playing too

Aye, decent jam tracks are definitely the second best thing to jamming in person. Its good to play over styles/genres you don't normally as well, so you come from a different angle and get some new ideas. A computer won't get bored of playing A blues backing for hours at a time, either :razz:

Very tempted to pick up one these when I next have them money - 1/10th of the price of an FRM100 but it's still sounds great. Paul's gigged with it, so it can't be that bad!

Edited by JonGoodwyn

At the moment I really wouldn't put any money into the guitar market directly, stick to second hand stuff from forums and independant stroes, when a Fender Strat USA standard is hitting the £1k mark around some shops it's really not worth the bother.

As an example my strat cost me £350 cash and £300* part exchange with a Trace Elliot half stack I bought for £130 on ebay. So why now is the exact same guitar £975? It's exactly the same so I'd let things settle down.

Amps seem to be a bit better but I'd be very careful what you buy, the emphasis is now on low powered valve amps as they generally give you a better sound although that too can be a tricky market.

My late father bought me a Marshall Class 5 so that I could turn it up in the house and drive the valves, At 5 watts - it's too loud sometimes. Again I think this amp has gone up £100 in price and I got a free pedal with mine.

It's catch 22 for the minute at the more they charge the less they'll sell and the less they sell the more they'll charge & I really think given the state of the ecomony profit margins on their side might have to come down in order to stimulate the market.

Aye, guitar prices have been fucked for a few years now. The problem is they aren't ever going to reduce the inflated prices (which mostly came from the poor exchange rates 3-4 years ago, among other reasons,) by very much, if at all, unless they're an absolutely massive crash. Unfortunately buying guitar stuff is so appealing to players that probably won't happen any time soon.

Paul Gilbert specifically designed that guitar with the onus of it being an affordable, but still quality, version of the outrageously expensive custom he released a few years ago - so it's pretty reasonable in that respect. The price of that guitar certainly isn't going to decrease by a noticeable amount unless they really can't shift them over the next year or so, as they're only making about 50 for the UK market.

As you said, second hand is definitely the way to go for the time being!

Amps need trying out and testing, have a decent localish store called Reidys that do good prices and carry some big names

GuitarGuitar in Newcastles got some gorgeous stuff in it, nothing like that near enough to me

its the Marshall MA series Im looking at, either the 50 or 100 combo, oddly can get the 100 for less than the 50 and its a 2x12 compared to the 50's 1 speaker

You never know! :razz:

just attracted to a proper Valve amp really, how much drive does the Class 5 kick out?

I know what I want from my amp, finding the one is a bastard though

It's only got one channel so decent amount when turned up but it won't really do ''modern rock;'' without a drive pedal.

But most of the time the best drive comes from a pedal anyway!

mmm, so do I go for a small 5 watter as there are a bunch out there at the moment, theyre getting fashionable and some a pedal or two

and then which 5 watter and which pedal(s) ARGH!

Well I think you can get a Blackstar HT-5R which has two channels and reverb and also has the capacity for an effects loop and a cab.

So they are pretty handy but most of the time a fifty watter is too loud to turn on in the house from my experience! I can just about get away with a 30w but my 65w Fender can't go past 2 and even then it's a neighbour killer.

Well I think you can get a Blackstar HT-5R which has two channels and reverb and also has the capacity for an effects loop and a cab.

So they are pretty handy but most of the time a fifty watter is too loud to turn on in the house from my experience! I can just about get away with a 30w but my 65w Fender can't go past 2 and even then it's a neighbour killer.

Heh, I like that

aye, voice of reason as always I suppose Tom, 5'll do and Ive looked at the blackstar before, need to find a local dealer

Learning guitar is so embarrassing when you're such a noob and find it hard switching between basic chords ffs :lol:

everyone who's played any instrument has been there though, and anyone who hasn't doesn't know what theyre talking about

I was really reluctant to even plug in early on 'cause I was thinking about that but in the end it only hurts your playing more, I'm no where near the player I should be after ten years tbh

don't let the same happen to you! go for it!

Aye you can always get a bigger amp later if you're gigging and stuff but my 5w Marshall could wake the street up and it's big enough for small gigs, most of the time you'll be mic'd up anyway so really you're saving money and a bad back from carrying shit.

2cnuqki.jpg

They are a canny size, the Blackstars are pretty much exactly the same as they had the design first - the Marshall designer left and started Blackstar. I'd still say the Blackstars are a little more flexible but I wanted a single channel amp at the time.

Cheers mate! Been meaning to start playing for years, bought an acoustic the other day because I heard once you master them electrics easier to get into, and the opposite is hardly ever true. Just playing about with the G and C chords thinking i'm some sort of Jimi Hendrix :D. My goal is by a yearish being able to play Horrorshow by The Libertines which is probably one of if my my favourite song like.

Aye you can always get a bigger amp later if you're gigging and stuff but my 5w Marshall could wake the street up and it's big enough for small gigs, most of the time you'll be mic'd up anyway so really you're saving money and a bad back from carrying shit.

2cnuqki.jpg

They are a canny size, the Blackstars are pretty much exactly the same as they had the design first - the Marshall designer left and started Blackstar. I'd still say the Blackstars are a little more flexible but I wanted a single channel amp at the time.

not a fan of clipping your strings I see ;)

the HT5R is tempting on paper, found a couple of lercal(ish) dealers too

My clipper thing has a habit of going missing! ;)

I do it most of the time like! Honest!

May as well try the one with reverb as you can always opt not to use it, it doesn't quite work the other way!