The Guitar Thread

Tom

Semi-on :lol:

I don't want the Marshall but I would be curious to know what it is!

It's a Valvestate 8080. It's about 20 years old, but it's almost never been used. It's been in a cupboard for 15 of those years at least.

Dip you reckon I'd get any cash for it?

Aye I'm thinking about it and wondering whether to even sell it tbh. For the sake of 60 quid I might as well keep a hold of it. It's not llike it even gets me half the price of the Fender Champ to replace it.

I'm not actually sure what it is! :lol:

I've come across it a couple of times but I've never really learned anything!

I might look into it at some point!

You might be at a stage where it's of no benefit to you tbh. It's basically a way of "unlocking" the fretboard by connecting the length of it with chords, arpeggios and lead patterns. I'm not really doing it justice though - the end result is that you should be able to play any phrase, in any key, anywhere on the fretboard without becoming anchored to the areas and patterns that you're used to.

The CAGED bit is cos it's all based around the open versions of the C, A, G, E and D chords just shifted around the neck through connecting notes.

If you did have a look and were interested, I can sort you out with this DVD set that I've got.

0027217_01.jpg

Got one of these a few weeks ago.

Its a Yamaha Guitalele, and as the name suggests its a Guitar/Ukelele cross.

It's the size of

A concert-sized Ukelele and it sounds like a Ukelele, but it has six strings, and you play it like a guitar. In its natural tuning it's like playing a guitar with a capo on the

4th or 5th fret. It's great. Very light, very portable, decent quality and reasonably priced. Windows sell them for £65, but if you look online, you can get them even cheaper. And with it being a Yamaha, it's well-made.

In fact, it'd be superb to give to young kids, get them started early.

Got my guitar back today. Frets milled, neck straightened, properly set up, electrics fixed and it's great.

Been pissing about with plugging it into the iPad this afternoon. Thoughts so far are that Amplitube is a big disappointment, but GarageBand is spot on. GOnna persevere with Amplitube in case I'm missing something, but the sound you get in GarageBand is much better.

How much did that cost you Gemmill? For the setup?

Oh & where? Because I've got a couple that need doing and the bloke who used to do them has disappeared for whatever reason.

How much did that cost you Gemmill? For the setup?

Oh & where? Because I've got a couple that need doing and the bloke who used to do them has disappeared for whatever reason.

Got it done here, Tom:

http://www.doublestopguitars.co.uk/

Which is in Whitley Bay. Bloke does all the work from his workshop in his house. He's spot on - you'll see from the link that he's not just some fly by nighter, properly trained in the US etc.

He does a basic setup, which I'm pretty sure is everything minus the fret milling for £35. If you want the frets done too, then it's an extra £25. A full rewire is £40, but he won't take the piss if it doesn't all need doing - he only charged me £25 for mine cos it was only a partial job.

I've no idea if that's expensive or not, but he's done an amazing job on mine.

Cheers!

I'm used to paying £30 for a setup, I'm pretty good doing it myself but If a neck goes wonky or something I don't really know what to do with that!

I might look for something closer though I don't know! It's weird how all the big shops have stopped doing it now & it seems to be all self employed blokes doing it.

They used to have dedicated techs & give them a room for their gear, these were normally the best ones too.

Maybe they get more money working from home?

probably, I don't reckon most big stores would be offering more money than their regular staff for a tech since they'd be just a regular staff member a lot of the time