The Guitar Thread

Tom

Watched that BBC4 Peter Green documentary this morning - have you seen it, KSA. It's called Peter Green - Man of the World. It's good, loads of interviews with the other members of Fleetwood Mac and with Green himself. His brain is a bit of a mess like but well worth a watch and available in the usual places.

My uncle met Peter Green at the Stanley Blues festival. unfortunately he was pretty much knacked by then and sadly could barely register people.

Gresat guitar player in his day!

Watched that BBC4 Peter Green documentary this morning - have you seen it, KSA. It's called Peter Green - Man of the World. It's good, loads of interviews with the other members of Fleetwood Mac and with Green himself. His brain is a bit of a mess like but well worth a watch and available in the usual places.

I saw it a while ago. At the time, his guitar work was the most interesting of the English blues guitarists. Great rhythm and lead playing, and some solid songwriting.

In all seriousness, there are some very good free online resources for learning the guitar these days, check out Justin Sandercoe's website for starters -- http://www.justinguitar.com/

If you still want to get an actual tutor, it would be well worth watching some of JS's teaching material to get an idea of what a good guitar teacher should be like.

Anyone go to the guitar show at Dunston Fed today? Ended up with about 20 pairs of shite drumsticks for 15 quid and my mate bought a 70s Hohner electro-acoustic. It was canny though the jazz fusion band downstairs held my attention for about 10 minutes. Give me a melody, lads.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally starting to get the hang of it even if it has taken me two months :lol:. Can imagine it being relaxing when you actually know what you're doing but since my time so far has involved fucking up basic chords and learning easy songs it's been frustrating. Thinking of getting a teacher purely to help my discipline (kick my arse into gear instead of fucking around and teaching me basic shite like) I dunno.

Les Pauls. Of the lads on here who own one (or more), or have plans to get one, what are your thoughts/recommendations? I'm planning on getting one - realistically next year cos need to move house before lashing any money on a guitar - and have been looking at the Traditionals. Basically I like the look of them and I'm not sure about the assymetrical necks on the Standards (haven't played either btw, which I'll obviously need to do, but don't want to waste someone's time in a guitar shop when I KNOW I'm not gonna be giving them any cash for a year or so). I think I'm right in saying that the Standards are all chambered whereas the Traditional is swiss-cheesed, but could be wrong about that.

Would love to just say fuck it and get a 59 reissue, but can't really justify it. :lol: Could stretch to a Custom though.

Anyway, anyone have any good advice? Cheers.

I've got a Les Paul custom circa 1975. It's the only high-quality guitar I've ever really played, and I have an odd setup (high action, string guage 12-56), so I'm not really in a position to compare it to anything or give advice. It's fucking brilliant though.

As for wasting people's time in guitar shops, do it. Especially if it's Dawsons. I was in Poland (can't take a guitar with me on a flight unfortunately, expense etc), and I went in a guitar shop and asked for the cheapest guitar in the shop. I played on it for about 15 minutes, the bloke hadn't even bothered to tune any of the guitars. I should have stayed and had a 2 hour practice session with a few guitars. Sure, I respect a proper guitar dealer/store, but Dawsons can suck my dick. You walk in in Warrington and can be waiting 20 minutes for assistance. I've gone in planning to buy a few things and just thought, "fuck it," after waiting so long. So next time you're in a Dawsons, just go in and start playing everything. They won't ask you to leave because of various factors:

1. you're big.

2. you're old.

3. you're a so-called accountant so will probably be in smart threads, the money is oozing out of every pore in your body, they love that.

If you fancy a RI then the 57 and 58 are a lot lot cheaper than a 59

Can't recommend or compare too much as I've only played a couple in my time but the asymmetrical neck on the standard is actually really nice feeling.

like ksa said, if your considering spending that much money do not feel bad about wasting peoples time especially at a a major chain. They don't really care.

Cheers for the responses. And KSA, I'm fucking 36 not 50. :lol:

Semi-on, I just looked there and you're right, you can get a 58 reissue for the same price as a Custom....so now I'm edging towards doing that. Again, I'll have to fanny about on them first to be sure - I'll definitely waste their time when it comes to it, I'm just worried that if I did it now I'd walk out with one and I cannot afford to do that at the minute.

Am I right in thinking you're getting one shortly btw?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1958-Les-Paul-Plaintop-Reissue-VOS.aspx

Looks canny.

Shortly may be a bit ambitious but once I'm done with uni in a couple of months and earning its top of the list.

Was it you who was asking about the champ 600 btw?

Couple of bits of advice -

1. Think of a decent amp first - a good tube amp, a shit guitar can sound brilliant through a great amp, it doesn't work the other way around, so if you're talking of getting a decent Gibson I would think of getting a good amp to match it in the interim.

2. Bide your time, as stated previously in this thread the price of guitars at the moment is hideous, especially imported guitars. I have a Gibson Les Paul classic - which is the predecessor to the Traditional & it's gone up £600 in price since when I got mine. If you're waiting till next year it might sort itself out but for a guitar of that nature I'd pay £1200 these days, obviously the RI's are a different issue altogether.

3. Try about 30 guitars before buying, all Gibsons are different even if they are the same model, I tried about 30-40 Les Pauls & a few SG's before getting mine and still ended up ordering a few different ones to try as the previous guitars weren't up to scratch, Gibson's quality control isn't great. It's worth trying a few guitars in the same price range too - just in case there's something more comfortable than a Les Paul.

4. Learn to know what you're doing with it - it's not the same as whacking a cheap guitar into a cheap amp and whacking all the controls up and smashing a drive pedal on, to get the best out of it you'll need to learn how the amp reacts to the tone/volume conrtrols on the guitar & how you actually play it yourself, a good example would be Jimmy Page playing with Zeppelin - Earls Court '69 - on the first disc of the Zeppelin live DVD.

i.e going from clean to drive by using the volume controls on the guitar, another example of this is on It Might Get Loud - which is a film worth watching,

Cheers for that, Tom. Will have a look at the Zeppelin DVD you mention. I watched It Might Get Loud quite recently - what a helmet Jack White is. It was a decent watch though.

Will definitely try a load of guitars before I make a purchase, and your point about a decent amp is a good one (that'll also have to come next year!).

The idea being that if you get the right one you needn't get another, although that doesn't stop a lot of people.

Regarding the amp - always get that before the guitar & it doesn't have to be too expensive, you could probably get by on £180-400 for an amp that would do the guitar wonders. All depending on what sound you're looking for!