The Guitar Thread

Tom

It's so light, must be 3 pounds or so lighter than my LP.

Funny how differently my amp and pedal board react to it as well, where the LP takes my overdrive and heavy distortion pedals and gives me a very chunky drive and full on metal sort of thing this is just a light drive (gorgeous on the neck pickup) and the bridge with the distortion is just...fucking awesome.

It's so light, must be 3 pounds or so lighter than my LP.

Funny how differently my amp and pedal board react to it as well, where the LP takes my overdrive and heavy distortion pedals and gives me a very chunky drive and full on metal sort of thing this is just a light drive (gorgeous on the neck pickup) and the bridge with the distortion is just...fucking awesome.

I don't think that makes it 'light' per se, it's just that Les Paul's are typically heavy as fuck. :lol:

I've had 4 Telecasters and they've all been class and very versatile, but none of them were Fender Custom Shop so I imagine this one is a cut above of anything I've played. 

I don't think that makes it 'light' per se, it's just that Les Paul's are typically heavy as fuck. :lol:

I've had 4 Telecasters and they've all been class and very versatile, but none of them were Fender Custom Shop so I imagine this one is a cut above of anything I've played. 

being the sort of person who wonders about that sort of thing I weighed both my LP and the tele last night

Les Paul came in at bang on 9lbs, which I think is light(ish) for a Les Paul, I expected it to be nearer 10.

Tele is 6.8lbs which is very slightly on the light side.

I wouldn't know anything about what they're supposed to weigh :lol:

My last telecaster felt ok for weight but the one before was the semi-hollow and it was light as a feather. I suppose what matters is what's comfortable :up:

I love it, pretty much all I've done every evening is play since I got it.

It's incredibly easy to play and I've been surprised by how versatile it is actually, even putting it through a lot of gain (gets a little hummy) it's brilliant, retains a lot of definition in a way my LP doesn't.

I should probably record something with it at some point but I always say that and never do 

Nice! Tele's are generally nice to play like - *some* can feel a little industrial but that's only when your swinging them about and they're hitting off your hips etc.

They will always hum mind, strictly speaking it should hum like mad as soon as you hit any kind of drive - even the amps but I imagine they've wound these pickups or put something in the design to lessen it.

Nice! Tele's are generally nice to play like - *some* can feel a little industrial but that's only when your swinging them about and they're hitting off your hips etc.

They will always hum mind, strictly speaking it should hum like mad as soon as you hit any kind of drive - even the amps but I imagine they've wound these pickups or put something in the design to lessen it.

Strange thing is the pickups are 51 Nocaster hand wound pups so they're quite low output and quite old fashioned.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a pretty cool video for gentlemen who are particularly fond of Les Paul's and a particular blues sound. 

A few of these licks are pretty common/obvious, but to my SHAME, the cascading blues riff is something I've never been able to figure out properly - not the way Joe does it anyway and it's a large part of his early sounds. So I'll be practising that when I get back from Holland next week. (stag do/possible death)

Tab = http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guitars/joe-bonamassa-exclusive-video-lesson-604853

• 1 month later...

Well, with the hope of putting some extra money aside for the honeymoon trip to NZ next year I have just started offering my tech services out.

First customer is handing over their guitar on Monday, which is quite frightening! :razz:

Looking around online and I can't believe how much established places will charge for some work, re-stringing and setting up a hard tail guitar for £40 plus parts seems mad to me.

Depends what you want to do tbh, I've always messed around with my guitars and experimented a lot on the cheaper ones I have as I have picked up more "premium" guitars that I play more.

I don't mess too much, I shove 9s on and make sure everything is working.

Can change gauge and set the guitar up accordingly, but nothing with truss rods and micrometers and that shite.

I don't mess too much, I shove 9s on and make sure everything is working.

Can change gauge and set the guitar up accordingly, but nothing with truss rods and micrometers and that shite.

From talking to guys I know (one of whom is the guy handing over his guitar next week) the main issue people have is having the patience to do things when they could otherwise be playing.

Yeh that's a bit different I suppose, I like to mess about but I could never trust myself to advertise services etc. 

The volume pot on my MBC-1 has gone - so I'm debating whether to do that myself or send it back. (means waiting ages)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just listening to Joe Bonamassa's christmas album (which is mint) and decided to see where he was touring. Closest to me is Blackpool or Sheffield both about £85 for a ticket :lol:

It would be worth but I don't have that money to spend right now.