The Guitar Thread

Tom

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

I had a Fender Jag with 2 P90s and a tunomatic bridge :lol: 

To each their own Tom.

Anyway good on Scotty for trying to be hip with the kids.

I still recommend you join OSG it's a good source of info.

It was a great guitar for the money but I lost interest after a while.

Always wanted a Candy Apple Red Jag with matching headstock but the spec never married up with price.

Sounds canny from the 4 minute review I just watched! Should sound great for the Marr stuff too :up:

I'd probably go for something different for the same budget but then my neighbours are more forgiving than most.

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Sounds canny from the 4 minute review I just watched! Should sound great for the Marr stuff too :up:

I'd probably go for something different for the same budget but then my neighbours are more forgiving than most.

Ha, aye that's the thing. I can't be deafening anyone. This comes with a headphones socket as well. 

I've been looking at the Blues Cube Hot as a possible partner to it in the future - even the tube amp fundamentalists on that pedal show couldn't disguise the fact that they thought it did a pretty good job when compared alongside a Blues Junior. 

Hmm I'd have to play it to believe it. As much as it was (probably) a blindfold test I reckon I'd easily tell difference, but that said perhaps technology has left me behind!

Regarding volume I suppose it depends on the amp. I've got 30w & 65w valve amps that can easily be played in the house but a 5w that really struggles with it as it really shifts some air.

End up playing an Orange Micro terror a lot of the time too, they sound great and are dirt cheap.

Vid above Tom. Agreed you'd have to play it though - impossible to tell from a recording on YouTube how it really sounds but they do seem pleasantly surprised in the room.  

Is the micro terror just a head? 

Yeh but they do a little cab with it too. It's class :lol:

So hypothetically you could put it through a big old 4 x 12 cab. I think the one they sell for it is a 1 x 8.

orange-micro-terror-1299140.jpg

I've got the Helix LT, the less bulky less expensive version. Software and sound stuff is all the same, it just has few I/O options and some less fancy visuals.

It's absolutely great though, paired mine up with a small active PA speaker (or you'd need a poweramp) and I can go from full 600w PA volume to bedroom levels without changing gear or compromising.

The range of sounds is massive as well, full range of complete cleans to gated, saturated prog metal gubbins. Works great for me, I never liked buying amps when I could get another/different guitar.

And you can download setups/patches from the Line6 website for free (or other peoples for money) that would produce particular tones or styles without having to configure them yourself, I've a lovely Andy Timmons board/amp setup on mine that is just awesome.

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Nice one cheers, I'll check out some YouTube videos. It's an absolute money pit this stuff. 

There is a good "the captain meets..." andertons video with Neville Marten who used to be the editor of guitarist, he uses one exclusively now and talks some about it, its also just generally a good video

6 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Nice one cheers, I'll check out some YouTube videos. It's an absolute money pit this stuff. 

17 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Nice one cheers, I'll have a look for it. 

No problem Gemmillbot

2 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

@Tom Got a link handy for that Squier Mustang, my brother? After a cheap electric after years of playing acoustics so I can finally fuck about with pedals and make a right racket.

Here - https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170104305709008--squier-bullet-mustang-hh-black

and these fellas make a good review video. They could sell anything mind. You've just got to get past the jam bit and they talk.

As a fuck about guitar Id highly recommend it but it's also sounds pretty class through a good amp. I could easily see myself picking one up and having a blast for a few hours.

Plus it's short scale so you can bend/vibrato strings like holy fucking hell with little or no effort. Like a borrower Steve Vai.

9 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Ah a headphone socket too. Interesting. And you're a fan of this, yeah? Does it do well at low volume? 

Aye, it sounds/plays like a proper tube amp* & it really sounds like an Orange.

Id say it can be a little bright at times next to my "proper" Orange but I think that's owing to the small speaker in the cab rather than owt else.

Plus the tone circuit has been upgraded on the new ones so a bit of warmth is easier to find.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Here - https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170104305709008--squier-bullet-mustang-hh-black

and these fellas make a good review video. They could sell anything mind. You've just got to get past the jam bit and they talk.

As a fuck about guitar Id highly recommend it but it's also sounds pretty class through a good amp. I could easily see myself picking one up and having a blast for a few hours.

Plus it's short scale so you can bend/vibrato strings like holy fucking hell with little or no effort. Like a borrower Steve Vai.

All sounds good to me, cheers. I'll treat myself to that and a decent amp in the New Year.

Nice one man. As I said it's a class guitar for the money and the quality is spot on.

Obviously they'll be cutting costs somewhere and I think it's basswood, I happen to like basswood anyway.

Also it's a proper rosewood board. Which may become a rarity in the near future...

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Aye, it sounds/plays like a proper tube amp* & it really sounds like an Orange.

Id say it can be a little bright at times next to my "proper" Orange but I think that's owing to the small speaker in the cab rather than owt else.

Plus the tone circuit has been upgraded on the new ones so a bit of warmth is easier to find.

The old tiny terror combos are great value 2nd hand, 7/15w switchable.

• 2 weeks later...