The Guitar Thread

Tom

I should never have sold my full on Les Paul those years ago, want that sound again but can't justify laying out for a full on LP just for me to play in my office - when I'm supposed to be working from home :) 

4 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Looks or sound/model ??

I prefer the wine red/gold top on the looks front.

It'll sound excellent though, don't love LPs on the playability front but its all down to personal prefs at that point.

How much would that look to set you back in comparison to the standards or whatever there is now? The re-vamp of the line has added a lot more variation in price in the last couple of years.

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I prefer the wine red/gold top on the looks front.

It'll sound excellent though, don't love LPs on the playability front but its all down to personal prefs at that point.

How much would that look to set you back in comparison to the standards or whatever there is now? The re-vamp of the line has added a lot more variation in price in the last couple of years.

That one is £899 in sale (list price is £1199) a Standard is around £1600 I reckon (£1300 if you're lucky)

4 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

That one is £899 in sale (list price is £1199) a Standard is around £1600 I reckon (£1300 if you're lucky)

ooo in that case

Few other finishes available here;

https://www.andertons.co.uk/january-sale-guitars?#facet:30744573456166766757110598115111110&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:3&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

And here (also the tributes are good if you want a more vintage LP) If you've not dealt with GuitarGuitar before they're brilliant, I've bought a bunch of stuff from them now, service is superb.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/gibson/guitars/electric/?InStockOnly=False&MaxPrice=1000&MinPrice=0&ClearanceType=&Ordering=4

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

ooo in that case

Few other finishes available here;

https://www.andertons.co.uk/january-sale-guitars?#facet:30744573456166766757110598115111110&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:3&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

And here (also the tributes are good if you want a more vintage LP) If you've not dealt with GuitarGuitar before they're brilliant, I've bought a bunch of stuff from them now, service is superb.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/gibson/guitars/electric/?InStockOnly=False&MaxPrice=1000&MinPrice=0&ClearanceType=&Ordering=4

Cheers, it is Guitar  Guitar I'll be going to, if I go :)

Half tempted to trade in my J45 and go full on LP

The tributes look cool but the top may be three or four pieces or something crazy.

My advice would be to try before you buy and don't just order off the net. If I was buying any Les Paul I'd get a plain top too.

Regards playability mine has a 60s slim taper neck & it's like a baseball bat next to any other guitar in the house. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

The tributes look cool but the top may be three or four pieces or something crazy.

My advice would be to try before you buy and don't just order off the net. If I was buying any Les Paul I'd get a plain top too.

Regards playability mine has a 60s slim taper neck & it's like a baseball bat next to any other guitar in the house. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't :lol: 

Yeah would never buy a guitar online tbh, I'll know as soon as I hold it if I like it or not

There's guitars I'll happily buy online but when it comes to a Les Paul or something high end I'd like to try before I buy.

Thats to do with Gibson's Q/C but also every les Paul feels a little different. I tried about 20 when I bought mine :lol: 

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

There's guitars I'll happily buy online but when it comes to a Les Paul or something high end I'd like to try before I buy.

Thats to do with Gibson's Q/C but also every les Paul feels a little different. I tried about 20 when I bought mine :lol: 

LUXURY!

hqdefault.jpg

Bought a Boss GT-100 with Christmas/birthday money. I can't be doing with falling into the financial rabbit hole of individual pedals and this seems like a very well thought-of and surprisingly inexpensive option. 

So I've got this and a looper. And I'm hoping that's me done with pedal acquisition! 

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Bought a Boss GT-100 with Christmas/birthday money. I can't be doing with falling into the financial rabbit hole of individual pedals and this seems like a very well thought-of and surprisingly inexpensive option. 

So I've got this and a looper. And I'm hoping that's me done with pedal acquisition! 

I'm surprised the Boss doesn't have a looper! My ME50 had a 5 second one which was great at the time :lol:

Its a short term cheaper option but it'll hold its value well as people are always looking for one. You can get a mad array of sounds on them too.

It obviously won't get you the exact sounds of a custom built pedal board but it'll sound really good and for the price it's a no brainer.

I was looking at Phase pedals the other day and the cheapest one worth getting was £70, add that to my Fuzz Factory and that's £240, which I imagine is 70% of what you paid for the multi fx.

Aye it was £312 @Tom

Like you say, it'll never match a set of boutique pedals, but it'll also never cost me what they cost!  Boss include some of their pedals in their software updates - so for example it includes the Tera Echo delay pedal, which is £145 by itself.  The Blues Driver is in there as well - probably not gonna sound exactly the same digitally as it does with the analogue pedal, but I'm sure they do their best to match at least their own pedals. 

Looking forward to getting it delivered tomorrow! :lol:

17 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye it was £312 @Tom

Like you say, it'll never match a set of boutique pedals, but it'll also never cost me what they cost!  Boss include some of their pedals in their software updates - so for example it includes the Tera Echo delay pedal, which is £145 by itself.  The Blues Driver is in there as well - probably not gonna sound exactly the same digitally as it does with the analogue pedal, but I'm sure they do their best to match at least their own pedals. 

Looking forward to getting it delivered tomorrow! :lol:

Tbh it should nail most Boss pedals. Stuff like the blues driver isn't overly complicated anyway, there should be a good few drive pedals on there.

As for delays/echoes unless you're screwing with modulation & self oscillation it should be 100% the same pedal.

Also from my experience on multi-fx, you can really shred and it'll hide the mistakes somehow. :lol: 

Cheers Andrew - it's you that's got the Helix isn't it? 

Tom, I can't really shred with or without effects, so I'm fucked on that front! 

I'm excited about it arriving though. I've spent a fucking fortune since deciding to get back into this shit. Probably a third of Gloom's coffee budget.