The Guitar Thread

Tom

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Cheers Andrew - it's you that's got the Helix isn't it? 

Tom, I can't really shred with or without effects, so I'm fucked on that front! 

I'm excited about it arriving though. I've spent a fucking fortune since deciding to get back into this shit. Probably a third of Gloom's coffee budget. 

It is indeed, I say this every time it comes up but I absolutely love it, all digital all the time!

:lol: Good man. I must admit, if I had an endless pot of money and a soundproof hut at the end of the garden, I'd probably be happy to buy a load of analogue pedals, a nice tube amp, and just keep recycling them on YouTube. 

But realistically for someone who plays in the house, digital seems the best solution. I tried going down the PC way using a DAW and plug-ins but latency was too much of an issue. 

So I'm happy with a small amp that copes with headphones and a digital multi fx setup. 

Can't wait for sammynb to see this. Btw Sammy my Jag is going in for a full setup this weekend. Fret mill, bridge replaced, the lot. You'll probably choke on your artisan cornflakes and yak's milk latte reading this. :lol:

Edited by Gemmill

:lol: It might not tbf. I'm just putting it in to get properly set up, get shot of all the fret buzz etc and to get him to sort the bridge. The action was insanely high when I tried it in the shop so I got them to sort that but they did it in about 20 minutes and haven't done a great job. I'm useless with all that stuff. 

Fair one. May as well get it all sorted :lol: 

Worth asking if there was anything particular wrong with it and learning to do it yourself mind. Sometimes fret buzz can be as simple as the way the action is set up or the frets simply need polishing!

11 hours ago, Gemmill said:

:lol: Good man. I must admit, if I had an endless pot of money and a soundproof hut at the end of the garden, I'd probably be happy to buy a load of analogue pedals, a nice tube amp, and just keep recycling them on YouTube. 

But realistically for someone who plays in the house, digital seems the best solution. I tried going down the PC way using a DAW and plug-ins but latency was too much of an issue. 

So I'm happy with a small amp that copes with headphones and a digital multi fx setup. 

Can't wait for sammynb to see this. Btw Sammy my Jag is going in for a full setup this weekend. Fret mill, bridge replaced, the lot. You'll probably choke on your artisan cornflakes and yak's milk latte reading this. :lol:

Hey Scotty, nice work, hope it comes back sounding just as you hope.

I hope they dress the frets for you and don't mill them, it shouldn't need that, maybe shimming of the neck.

On the bridge did you see on the new American Pro series Jags and Jazzmasters Fender has redesigned the bridge?

2dcca22a20e841cb9819ddce3f17facc.JPG

Allegedly more tone, no buzz and completely intonate-able.

Looking at their range it looks like they have discontinued the original vibratone bridge which is a shame.

FenderJaguarBridge.6c.jpg

Even the Squires versions are using tune-o-matics.

For some stupid reason I really want a Marshall 1974x amp.

Those new bridges look terrible :lol: 

i prefer a top wrapped tune-o-matic to anything else but in the long run im not fussy.

Everyone should be buying £120 Squier Mustangs anyway :lol: 

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 13:17, Tom said:

Also @toonpack get cracking or your wife will spend your guitar money on a kitchen or something.

Strangely it's me doing the prevaricating and trying to find a window where I can be arsed to get up to town :)

The Boss arrived yesterday. Very pleased with it after an initial play around. As usual a lot of the presets are a bit cack but setting up your own patches from scratch is a piece of piss and the ability to be able to move things around in the signal chain with the turn of a knob is great. 

Should have a chance to have a better play around with it over the weekend. 

• Like 1

Nice! Have you got the Jag back yet?

I've not been playing a lot lately but I'm getting back into "gear" mood. PRS have made some left handed SEs (the first ones ever iirc) its going to be NAMM soon which is always a lovely time and I really want to put a part-caster together since I've given up on finding the Strat for me just from a factory.

It goes in on Sunday so hopefully it'll all be fettled by the middle of next week. I'll be back to the strat in the meantime. 

There's a YouTube channel called intheblues. Little Aussie fucker. Anyway, he's a lefty and just recently got himself a left handed PRS SE. It was in the run up to Christmas so should be easy enough to find the video if you haven't seen it - he loves it though. Tested it for his channel in the shop one day and went back to get it the next. It's this lush green colour and it sounds great. 

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It goes in on Sunday so hopefully it'll all be fettled by the middle of next week. I'll be back to the strat in the meantime. 

There's a YouTube channel called intheblues. Little Aussie fucker. Anyway, he's a lefty and just recently got himself a left handed PRS SE. It was in the run up to Christmas so should be easy enough to find the video if you haven't seen it - he loves it though. Tested it for his channel in the shop one day and went back to get it the next. It's this lush green colour and it sounds great. 

I've heard so much good about PRS across their range over the last couple of years that it's done my head in not to be able to get one.

And now I can just as I'm resolved to not buy anything until after I've been away.

Speaking of which, full on first world problem time, I'm looking like moving to New Zealand for 18 months/2 years or so in August(ish). Have any of you flown with gear before? I can't decide whether to fly my stuff out, buy some cheapy stuff there and make do or...what? I dunno.

That sounds mint. How does it work with NZ? Do you need to have a job before you get there or can you turn up and try to find one? 

In terms of gear, I left mine at home when I moved to America and just bought an acoustic over there to keep me ticking over. 

If you're moving with an employer and will get a relocation allowance you could ship stuff over properly but you'll probably be just turning around to head home when it arrives!

On 7/19/2017 at 19:54, Andrew said:

Woo,

xi9RIcU.jpg

cCuojDs.jpg

Il6SPjn.jpg

Well, its time for the Wolfgang experiment to end methinks, I like it plenty and it sounds/looks good but flipping the thing to be left handed is so monstrously impractical that I don't pick it up.

I've made two modifications, quick loader saddles that you string through rather than clamp in have been added to the floyd rose and a trem stop has been added in the rear cavity that is basically a backstop for the floyd meaning you can drop D or whatever without da-tuning all your other strings.

£385 when new, 6 months old and in immaculate condition, probably chuck it on ebay for £400 and see if anyone bites on the mods.

If anyone on here is interested I'm sure we can work something out!

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

That sounds mint. How does it work with NZ? Do you need to have a job before you get there or can you turn up and try to find one? 

In terms of gear, I left mine at home when I moved to America and just bought an acoustic over there to keep me ticking over. 

If you're moving with an employer and will get a relocation allowance you could ship stuff over properly but you'll probably be just turning around to head home when it arrives!

Depends on age and circumstances, I'm lucky in that the company I work for has a dev office in Christchurch that I can essentially transfer to and retain my current job and salary and what-have-you. I'm also young enough to get a "working holiday" visa that means I can stay there up to 23 months as is Mrs A.

I figured that would be the answer, I just don't want to leave it all for so long :razz:  

Spent some time messing with a patch last night and built up a "shine on you crazy diamond" sort of thing, which then got me playing a bunch of floyd stuff.