The Guitar Thread

Tom

I need to find some proper time to sit and experiment. I've started lessons again though and I'm so busy doing my "homework" I find it hard to justify just fucking about in the time that I do get!

The possibilities seem endless though. Loads of good info online as well - not enough time! 

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 18:00, Andrew said:

Awww thats a bummer, did nothing else take your fancy while you were in there?

Was going to go in on Saturday but saw they were sold out, will keep powder dry for a while I reckon.

Poor picture but I have been given this :lol: 

Expect to get it this afternoon. My Mam's mate hand crafted it from scratch 30 years ago and wanted to give me it. Fair play, it looks class! 

I expect it will be a rough play but I'll report back.

(the photo is a little bit rough but that's all I have for now, me Mam really putting that iPhone 6 camera to use) 

IMG_8403.JPG

I know :lol:

Gonna have to learn some KISS songs. I'll post a better picture when it's dropped off. 

You can total get a guys thinking too...'im gonna make a guitar...a fucking battle axe'. :icon_lol: 

Fucking hell. The lad that made it must be a fucking animal. :lol:

Got the Jag back btw. Absolutely mint. He said there was a canny bit of fret work to do which is a disgrace from Fender. Replaced the bridge and the string spacing is now as you would expect. He's raised the pickups a bit too and it sounds class. Very happy with all that for 75 quid. 

He's a fairly small, timid bloke to be fair, Quite a craftsman it seems though. :D

Nice that the Jag is sorted, that said it should come out of the box 100%. My sisters Squier Mustang was ready to play out of the box, a £1k plus Fender should be set up to a professional standard not just playable.

For £75 he hasn't exactly had your eyes out like, good price but I suppose he can keep it reasonable if he's just targeting the Marr Jag market :lol: 

I might give him a shout sometime.

I need to change the pots on my MBC1 but I had the back off and there's about 4 million cables like that computer thing from superman III.

I just put the cover back on and I play with dodgy pots. :lol: 

17 hours ago, Tom said:

I might give him a shout sometime.

I need to change the pots on my MBC1 but I had the back off and there's about 4 million cables like that computer thing from superman III.

I just put the cover back on and I play with dodgy pots. :lol: 

Aye I don't know how much he charges for pots but I asked about pickups as I'm gonna stick some bareknuckles on my strat. £55 to change the full set which I didn't think was too bad. 

That doesn't seem too bad. I'm going to have to do a little bit wiring with my Axe guitar so that's my practice.

Im going to get a pre-wired Strat scratch plate and transfer the wires over. I'm either going to have to dig a cavity for the wires or do a little soldering. 

A dremel would make quick work of that if you have one available to you.

Tangentially guitar related I'm currently trying to deconstruct a nackered vintage (brand not age) LP into a sort of wall display...thing.

Man, I need to get some gear money or some tech work to do.

What kind of Dremel? :lol:

The body is mahogany so I'm hoping it's not too tough, though he's already done a little routing - I think he's had a full workshop to do it with though.

Like the one in Andertons? :lol:

Where is that going to live?

One of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0078LENZC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Not required as there is probably a cheaper option but thats what I have

Yeah like the one in Andertons, I tweeted them to see if they'd give me a reference photo as I've only seen it in one video and I don't remember which it was. Fuck knows where it'll live, I'll find somewhere.

Looks canny, so does it just dig down through the wood?

The display would be cool to have and it would definitely help with tech work.

Get your picture in front of it like a pro :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

Looks canny, so does it just dig down through the wood?

The display would be cool to have and it would definitely help with tech work.

Get your picture in front of it like a pro :lol: 

Its got loads of bits.

I've not listened to the sound on this at all but heres how it works 

That with the right bit will just whip through the wood and expand any existing routing really easily.

You might well be alright with that tbh, I was thinking the spacing between the last pot and the pickup selector might be a bit tight but I guess there was actually something in there anyway.