The Guitar Thread

Tom

Anyone have any thoughts on teles? Are there decent budget non-Fender options or are you best just to go Fender? I could always swap out pickups. 

I quite like the Chapman ML3 Pro Traditional, but Rob Chapman is a bellend. Plus I'm not sure it's traditional enough. 

Andrew have you still got your custom shop tele? 

I do, its marvelous, I'm getting the Squier Contemporary Tele in a week or so as well (if I am informed of delivery times accurately)

If you're looking to be responsible on budget then the Squiers knocking about nowadays are way way better than anything we had on offer in our youths. Classic Vibe are the way to go for traditional spec as well.

Step up and the mexican made Fender Standards are good, the modern player plus is kinda cool but not very "trad"

Robs personality aside I've heard nothing but good all over about the Chapman guitars, the Standard ML3 Trad in white looks smashing.

Aye the white one looks great tbf. And only about 400 as well. I just worry I'd hear "Greetings!" every time I look at it. 

I'll have a quick look around the different ones you mention above. I'm absolutely bamboozled by the number of ranges available by one manufacturer. 

You can get the likes of a strat or tele in just about any configuration, colour and style you could possibly want as a right hander at a middle price-point nowadays.

What do you want from it?

I like Rob Chapman :lol: 

Anyway Tele's are great, although I keep buying them and selling them and never settling on one.

As @andrew says you can't really go wrong with a Squier these days.

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

You can get the likes of a strat or tele in just about any configuration, colour and style you could possibly want as a right hander at a middle price-point nowadays.

What do you want from it?

Just something straightforward and work horsey, chunkyish neck but nowt daft. Standard looking (which is what puts me off about the Chapman one), Im not arsed about getting something with humbuckers or owt like that. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Just something straightforward and work horsey, chunkyish neck but nowt daft. Standard looking (which is what puts me off about the Chapman one), Im not arsed about getting something with humbuckers or owt like that. 

Squier classic vibe, nailed on.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/search/?Query=squier+classic+vibe&Filters.Brand=&Filters.InStockOnly=False&Filters.Ordering=Relevance&searchoverride=

13 minutes ago, Andrew said:

That vintage blonde 50s is nice looking, 50s profile neck may well be similar profile to my CS Tele, which is plenty chunky.

Nice one, cheers for the help. Will pop in next time I'm passing guitar guitar. 

So GuitarGuitar have emailed me to say their supplier says it will be the end of April before they have the HH Teles in stock, this is after telling me they spoke to the supplier when I inquired and they would be shipping at the tail end of this week.

So that can fuck right off.

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

Fucks sake.

I think they take a gamble on a lot of NAAM releases like, just stick em straight on the website.

Aye, I've contacted a couple of other retailers who are showing them as in stock sooner to see if they'll have them but im not holding out hope.

First interesting, affordable thing thats come along for ages for a lefty and this fucking happens.

7 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Anyone have any thoughts on teles? Are there decent budget non-Fender options or are you best just to go Fender? I could always swap out pickups. 

I quite like the Chapman ML3 Pro Traditional, but Rob Chapman is a bellend. Plus I'm not sure it's traditional enough. 

Andrew have you still got your custom shop tele? 

Scott not sure if buying 2nd hand interests you but a 90s MIJ or CIJ Tele will give you a better guitar than a current squier for similar money.

Another good alternative is the G&L ASAT, not sure what the current Korean versions are like but if you can find a US built version you will get a lot of guitar for the money.

G&L if you don't know was Leo Fender's company he started in the 70s.

The Johnny Marr Jag is it US made or Japanese?

Edited by sammynb

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

DON'T YOU DARE INSULT SQUIER 

No insult, I quite like the occasional squier but if you have the time and are willing to buy 2nd hand there are better buys out there.

Things like the original Squier Bullet, all tele running gear and necks, are great buys for parts, the Venus is brilliant (but not really a squier when compared to current squier guitars) and the bass VI, well it's the only way I could afford one these days.

11 hours ago, sammynb said:

Scott not sure if buying 2nd hand interests you but a 90s MIJ or CIJ Tele will give you a better guitar than a current squier for similar money.

Another good alternative is the G&L ASAT, not sure what the current Korean versions are like but if you can find a US built version you will get a lot of guitar for the money.

G&L if you don't know was Leo Fender's company he started in the 70s.

The Johnny Marr Jag is it US made or Japanese?

I was looking at the G&Ls yesterday, as it happens, they look good. My strat is a MIJ from 1990 and it's great, so a second hand MIJ might not be a bad shout although harder to track down I guess. 

The Marr Jag is USA made. There's an Aussie bloke I watch on YouTube that plays one a decent amount. Reckons it's his favourite guitar "by a mile", and he's got a shit load. You'll note in the video description that he always swaps out bridges for a staytrem. ;) Just saying...! 

17 hours ago, Andrew said:

Aye, I've contacted a couple of other retailers who are showing them as in stock sooner to see if they'll have them but im not holding out hope.

First interesting, affordable thing thats come along for ages for a lefty and this fucking happens.

So I've followed this one up with GuitarGuitar, couldn't quite see how a weekend could turn a ten day lead time into three months.

They spoke to Fender whilst I was on to them, apparently Fender UK have them in their distribution centres now but the guitars aren't being RELEASED until mid April.

What fucking sense does that make?

Sounds daft. I suppose they might be trying to shift last year's stock, or it might be something as simple as knowing that April is historically a good time to release. 

Seems to me though that if you've just shown something to a positive reaction at NAMM, and the demand is there, that you should just try and meet it immediately. People don't like to wait for no reason. 

It's massively annoying when you're expecting to wait a week and suddenly you're told to wait months like :lol:

I had the same with Thomann a few years back and just cancelled the order in the end.

Spoken to five retailers now, apparently Fender told everyone that the Squiers were with the distribution warehouse but hadn't told anyone that they weren't coming until April. 

So GuitarGuitar off my hook I suppose but thats some poop communication from Fender.