The Guitar Thread

Tom

Picking it up this afternoon. I'm hoping it's all it's hyped to be. :lol: 

Seymour Duncan pickups (dimebucker in the bridge), mahogany body, neck bound & set. Floyd Rose... 

It was on Gumtree for £150, bloke clearly didn't know what he was selling. The Dimebucker is £100 new so I thought that's what I'd offer. He said yes. 

He was selling two others, A Squire Strat (£150) and a Epiphone Les Paul for £250. I said I didn't know what the Dime-O-Flame was worth, just like the Fire and I wanted to learn how to play.

£795 when released according to music radar. :lol:

It was a bit worse for wear when I got it this afternoon but I polished it, conditioned the fretboard & polished the frets and hoyed some new strings on.

Now it's gleaming, the dimebucker sounds mad as fuck :lol: 

• Like 1

It sounds really tight tbh & plays really dynamic, I.e you can play subtlety & it'll respond or whack in a pinch harmonic and it'll squeal. It's high output but so are the PAFs on my les Paul so I'm fairly used to them.

Really good for rhythm too and clean picking. I'd say it's a great pickup all round, could fancy whacking one in my SG tbh.

Tbh I've never really listened to Pantera at all, just saw a cheap guitar and pounced :lol: 

• Like 1

Gibson have filed for bankruptcy, they've been floundering for a while but that still sucks.

Hopefully they'll be bought up by someone who knows how to run a guitar company properly and get back on track.

Yeh it's a shame but they've been badly run for years & a lot of the products are utter shite.

It takes less than a minute to tune a guitar. Why the fuck would anyone want robot tuners?

They could have released a bunch of simple/cheap Les Paul Jrs and sold a load but they insist on making them expensive as owt and vintage spec etc etc.

Its no surprise when a bunch of greedy bastards also end up being skint. Although I think the rosewood laws are fucking over a lot of companies too.

Delivered that Jag and an unpictured Fender Hellcat back to their owner tonight, who was very happy!

It still sort of surprises me that people pay me to do stuff like this, that I've been doing with my own guitars since I started playing.+

Ok so I'm selling the Dean. It's too big and looks ridiculous. I've plenty of good guitars. :lol: 

Easy money, should get £300 at least. I'm after a Bass anyway. Although I might buy a Dimebucker at some point (it really is that good).

I've attached a pic of the current bass I'm using, it's a 1976 Ibanez law suit that I've got a lend of. It sounds and plays incredible but I need my own I suppose. (Playing bass with a band now) 

It's a good guitar and I like it but it makes no sense to have it really. Everything I like about it is easy enough to find in another guitar tbh.

Plus whilst I can be sensible on an Edge III I go out of the window on a Floyd Rose.

Thought this band was a "sitting in job" but come Wednesday we'll have had 4 practices in less than two weeks. SERIOUS BUSINESS.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Andrew said:

@Tom, how did you do on the dimebag guitar?

Was offered £300 last week, countered with £320 and haven't had an offer since :lol:

There's profit to be had but not a great deal of it. Still a steal at £100 like but I need a bass for band stuff now.

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased with this one, bought a nackered Epiphone Acoustic off a guy at work for £30 on Monday

RgDoPgS.jpg

FZ3qyZk.jpg

A new Tusq Nut and Saddle, new scratchplate and some general cleanup and TLC and I now have;

jvQW0GS.jpg

NX7WV9h.jpg

The saddle has been modded to make it a lefty, with no permanent change made to the guitar so it can go back righty at any time

vPgrLt7.jpg

5 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Clever stuff Andrew. And crazy red trousers. 

Thanks, they’re shorts which I think makes the colour more acceptable? It was very hot 

I've been fixing up an SG for one of the lads in my band.

What a beauty! Interestingly he uses a Duo Sonic as his main guitar which he makes sound massive.

Ill never get my head around that, it looks like a toy :lol: 

IMG_9717.JPG

IMG_9718.JPG

IMG_9719.JPG