The Guitar Thread

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Pickups come Friday. Hopefully installed over the weekend.

Opted to move up to 11 gauge strings to get closer to the best out of the guitar. 

Need to find a fitting scratchplate too.

Can't write much cause i can't put it down but these pickups are incredible.

Also full set up, fret dress etc, it's playing better than brand new :o 

IMG_9976.JPG

• 1 month later...

Selling a couple so I don't have to store them while I'm away and to fund something in NZ.

If you know any leftys please share these :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263844997535?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263845011771?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I somehow didn't see that until just now, love it. 

Think my guitar will arrive in the next day or two going off the tracking. 

My headphones have arrived some nice Audio Technica M40Xs that will work great with the helix. 

Can't wait to get plugged in and playing again. 

Its here! and its...decent!

TVa7kZ2.jpg

fit and finish are all pretty nice, frets could use a polish but there are no sticky out ends or anything.

Plugged in its not exactly brilliant, the pickups say they're EMG-HZs and I could actually believe that tbh, Ive had a guitar with them in before and this sounds similar, I think replacing them with pretty much anything will be a big step up.

It needs a good setup with some new strings and a lower action but the bridge mechanics all seem solid and it should be easy enough to do when I can be arsed, maybe at the weekend.

Based on this one @TomI'd go for that scalloped fret thing!

Took a few more, better pictures now that its home and I had some time.

FwBY42z.jpg

k9tVxiX.jpg

2biwMe1.jpg

M6KAI1D.jpg

vhSHRIe.jpg

OZ7NAjE.jpg

1kb52iv.jpg

I've put some proper strings on it now and its much livelier though the pickups still aren't great, if I decide I really do like playing it I'll replace them with something. Dunno what but its an interesting instrument, plays nicely, bridge is good.

I went to a nice guitar shop today actually, Rock Shop!

X9TKEIO.jpg

They had some cool stuff in there, chiefly this Sterling Petrucci model which was absolutely phenomenal

KO1KCXI.jpg

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Andrew blatantly trying to provoke a fresh chair compliment from Tom.

To be fair that is another nice chair. :lol: 

Guitar wise I'd say they definitely aren't EMGs but for the money I doubt you're bothered. 

On another note after a few month with the Bareknuckle PG Blues in my Les Paul I'm tempted to sell a few guitars, there's a lot gathering dust at the moment that just don't come close to it. 

So If I sell a few and make a similar upgrade to say Strat pickups - for about £350ish, I'll still end up with a decent cash surplus 

1 minute ago, Tom said:

To be fair that is another nice chair. :lol: 

Guitar wise I'd say they definitely aren't EMGs but for the money I doubt you're bothered. 

On another note after a few month with the Bareknuckle PG Blues in my Les Paul I'm tempted to sell a few guitars, there's a lot gathering dust at the moment that just don't come close to it. 

So If I sell a few and make a similar upgrade to say Strat pickups - for about £350ish, I'll still end up with a decent cash surplus 

Nah, they sound kinda crap regardless, as did the EMGs I had in a guitar I don't own anymore.

Dimarzios seem to be the most readily available thing out here, a brand I've never paid attention to really so I know nowt about. Some bareknuckles would be delightful!