The Guitar Thread

Tom

Guitar teachers just got a Charvel Pro Mod San dimas which he was kind enough to let me have a bash on before he restrung it for himself (he plays weird, even for a lefty!)

It was fucking ace, neck was nice and thin but not quite Ibanez thin, huge frets and the JB in the bridge was amazing through his JCM2000.

Fantastic guitar, I'd even forgive it only being available in black if it didn't have a Floyd.

I can't get away with the aesthetics of them but I bet Ibanez and Charvel stuff is mint to play. Timmons's guitar is probably as close as I would come to buying one though. 

I got a bunch of Tom Quayle instructional stuff to work through. He's obviously a ludicrous player but he's an even better teacher. His stuff on fretboard visualisation is (to me anyway) genuinely the answer to the question of how to play effortlessly all over the neck. Not that I can btw, but I'm working through that stuff and can see how it'll get me there. 

I'd be interested to see the Fretboard visualisation stuff Gemmill. Sounds helpful.

Also I absolutely love the look of the Charvel's and I'll definitely get one someday. I thought it was a licensed strat body/neck though? 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I'd be interested to see the Fretboard visualisation stuff Gemmill. Sounds helpful.

Also I absolutely love the look of the Charvel's and I'll definitely get one someday. I thought it was a licensed strat body/neck though? 

I'll drop you a PM.... 

4 hours ago, Tom said:

The body shape and headstock shape are licensed, well sort of since Fender own Charvel anyway...

Theres absolutely not a fender with a neck profile like that though.

Ah right, I've never played one tbh! Ive had a few Ibanez's but to be honest the best neck I've played is on my 2006 Strat or various squires. Which have freakishly good necks. 

I'm after a G & L I think. 

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Went to see Ariel Posen tonight. In Ashington of all places. Pretty talented bloke. 

Josh Smith is on there next month and Joey Landreth the month after. 

Thats a good series of gigs!

Ariel did a brief promo with Lee on the andertons channel the other day.

How was the show?

It was good, aye. A few solos that went on too long, but I guess that's what you get with these blokes. Great slide player though and an engaging character. He seems to genuinely have a bit of a love affair with Ashington, having played the town fair there on Canada day last year. 

The place didn't cater for many but it was completely sold out.

And aye, weird how lined up the gigs are with TPS/Anderton's type guests. I've got tickets for the three anyway - can't really say no for 14 to 15 quid each. 

New Dream Theater albums out and available on Spotify.

Labries voice is as...polarizing...as ever but there are some banging riffs in the first couple of songs (thats as far in as I've got so far).

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I had had my eye on one but hadn't intended to so anything about it for a bit. But I sat with this one for a while yesterday and eventually pulled the trigger. It's lush. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom said:

That’s lush Gemmill.

Whats that fancy volume nob all about?

Cheers! It's their S1 switching thing. Picture below to explain what it does. Top row is normal, bottom row you press the button in the centre of the volume knob and it does all the different wiring combos. 

20190309_185518-1512x2016.jpg

The new strat is mint. First time I've had a satin neck and a compound radius on a guitar and the difference is incredible. 

I love my tele but I wish I'd bought an Elite instead of the 60s original so that it would have had the same neck.