The Guitar Thread

Tom

I don’t believe there’s a pedal on this earth that can make you sound like SRV but I'll await @Gemmill‘s feedback.

I hate the pedal show, it just makes me want to spend and I DONT have a tax rebate to play with :lol: 

Does it shite! :lol:

That's a good video of it though. Pretty short one too. 

I have a difficult time with That Pedal Show. There's undoubtedly good content but they're such a fucking pair of fannies. They went to a vintage guitar shop a few weeks back and at one point Mick is talking to camera and says "Dan's just having a bit of a sit down, it's all been a bit emotional." And he wasn't joking. 

I get confused by which is which but I imagine it’s the Australian fella who was going on like a fanny.

I like the enthusiasm at times but other times it seems to suck the fun out of things. I mean I like guitar pedals but I don’t want to deliver a three hour lecture on them or have a NASA style pedal board.

You play guitar with your hands and 9 times out of 10 that’s where the best players are recognised & thats where I have most of my fun.

I get mad pedals every now and then but they never last too long.

Harsh :lol: I really enjoyed that episode, even if they are a bit much.

The bloody left handed '64 strat that still has the original strings on it...

Do either of you watch the JHS youtube channel? 

Given what you dislike about TPS it might be right up your streets.

Saw your Fb video with the Dookie Drive earlier @Tom (not sure why I'm telling you this here rather than there) you're right about it nailing the tone, sounds great.

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Saw your Fb video with the Dookie Drive earlier @Tom (not sure why I'm telling you this here rather than there) you're right about it nailing the tone, sounds great.

Aye I watch JHS videos. They're good, and he's enthusiastic without bursting into tears partway through videos!

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

I haven’t seen it but I’ll give it a go. I watch a lot of the Andertons ones tbh. The “sound like” ones are good fun. Especially “by busting the bank” *puts euromillions on* 

Yeh I’m loving the pedal. It can basically get every tone on Dookie/Insomniac perfectly & a lot more Green day stuff as well as a lot of classic rock sounds. 

Its great for AC/DC bizarrely. 

The three riffs I played in the video sound quite different but it’s all on one setting. I’ve no longer any problem with the price.

Im using it straight into the Orange Rocker 30 with no other pedals. The headroom of the OR30 & the width it gives your sound gives you a much better sound than my actual Marshall which is weird but welcome.

That Pedal Show this week. 8 minutes in and that little Aussie cunt is staring at the floor, shaking his head, and saying "it's emotional playing through it" about an amp. :lol:

He is a fucking bellend. 

Came to Crimson Guitars for a repair and maintenance course. I thought it would be a gentle introduction - lunchtime on day 1 and I've removed all the frets and nut from my tele and am partway through putting a new set of frets on it. :lol:

Terrifying. 

• Like 1

There's a bunch of blokes there finishing their 3 month guitar build course tomorrow. There's some great guitars there. Fuck knows how you find the time and money for 3 months though. 

I can see me coming back to do either a 1 week guitar build or just a 3 day kit build. A lad finished up a LP style kit guitar today and it looked great. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

There's a bunch of blokes there finishing their 3 month guitar build course tomorrow. There's some great guitars there. Fuck knows how you find the time and money for 3 months though. 

I can see me coming back to do either a 1 week guitar build or just a 3 day kit build. A lad finished up a LP style kit guitar today and it looked great. 

Aye I've just been looking :lol:

£4,500 for the three month course, though it does say that its aimed at people wanting to start building on their own time so I suppose as business expenses go that might not be too terrible?

I'd love to do the 3 or 5 day courses

Remember this kid he's all grown up now 

He owns a couple of Steve Vai's famous guitars that Steve gave him the 1st ones on the Passion & Warfare cover 

The 2nd one featured in the video for Goin' Crazy by David Lee Roth  when Vai was in his band 

I've recently got back in touch with Tom as I think I helped him a little bit on his journey. In August 1988 a couple of days before Donington i saw an advert saying something like Junior Jimi Hendrix play at The Percy Arms Newcastle. This intrigued me so I went along & saw this little kid playing an Ibanez Jem Floral he played Tobbaco Road bits of Euruption etc I was gobsmacked. I spoke to Tom's dad John during the interval & mentioned I was going to Donington Monsters Of Rock at the weekend. I said it was a shame they couldn't go & meet Steve Vai as I'm sure he'd be impressed. I'd only ever seen I Jem before & that was of Vai in Kerrang. It was an off the cuff remark. At the end of the night i took off my Van Halen t shirt & gave it to Tom telling him if your going to be a rock star you better start wearing t shirts like this. I wish them both well & navigated my way across Percy St to get the bus home. About 6 months later there was a documentary on BBC about guitar greats it featured Hendrix , Blackmore, Beck, Page etc. Then right at the very end they showed some footage of Tom  playing at The Moira Arms in Donington. It wasnt until a few years later I found out what happened John drove Tom down to Donington managed to persuade the pub landlord to let Tom play that night. It just so happened that Vai's roadie was in the pub. He got John & Tom backstage the following  day & were taken to Vai's caravan Tom plugged his guitar in started playing & Vai was blown away. The rest as they say is history Tom featured as "Little Stevie Vai" in the video for The audience Is Listening.  After that Tom & Vai got some other talented youngsters together & formed a band Bad 4 Good they featured on MTV eventually Tom came back to the UK. He's now manager of a music shop in Newcastle & the last couple of years has taken up playing again. He very recently released an e.p. under the name McRoclin called Beginnings & in November support Dragonforce on their UK tour playing in Newcastle on the 14th I'm hoping to get along were me & Tom have decided to have a meet up. 

Edited by trooper
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just made a slightly silly order from GuitarGuitar which their quite ambitious shipping estimator reckons will be in New Zealand on Friday.

So I guess we'll see :razz: