The Guitar Thread

Tom

9 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Metalhead!  Not my thing but I gather they're nice guitars. Is that what you were getting from guitarguitar?

It is indeed! ex-demo and therefore so inexpensive that it cost me a few hundred quid less to buy it, ship it here and pay the import on it than to buy one new in NZ.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Wow that looks great! What’s it like?

Also I’ll give your insta a follow :up: 

Cheers :lol: I don't post much on there, its entirely guitars and pictures of my wife.

As for the guitars, early signs were a bit shite tbh, I got it out of the box and a string immediately popped out of the tuner which had not chance of getting back in, and of course I had no spares.

Quick trip to the nearest shop before they closed, restring and the setup was terrible buzzing on every string for the first 5 frets or so. I was concerned.

Bit of setting up to get it going (Its still not perfect, needs a truss rod tweak and some more adjustments) and my worries fell away.

Frets are massive, ebony fret board is super smooth, neck is big but "modern" profiled, there is plenty of girth there but it has a nice flat feeling back, not too round or too thin.

Locking tuners are great, restring took no time at all.

The EMGs are Hetfields signature set, which is nice, no lower cost gubbins like some of the secondary brand guitars can have.

I tried one in a shop when I went up to Auckland a month or so ago and loved the feel of it but it sounded like shit, which I suspected was due to the Orange crush something-or-other they plugged me into. I was right.

The Kraken and this get on incredibly well, my modified Squier with the dimarzios sounds great through that setup but this has just got so much power in it.

Surprisingly I can go from full high gain chug on the bridge pickup to a rolled back (two volume controls, no tone) neck pickup and it actually cleans up staggeringly well, I wasn't expecting quite such a range from these based on my experience of active EMGs before, I was expecting all grunt all the way until the volume went off.

Its good.

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Locking tuners are great, restring took no time at all.

They are awesome mind. I’m often sitting looking round for something to do because I feel like I haven’t done enough.

can get the MBA1 restrung and tuned in about 5 minutes. It’s probably closer to an hour with the Les Paul!

im glad you’re enjoying it anyway, get a video up of it sometime!

• 4 weeks later...

One of mine too. Whereas Hendrix made his cover versions of other’s songs the definitive version, I’d say SRV smashes Hendrix out of the park with his version of Little Wing.

( Comes close with Voodoo Chile too). 

Just got one of these for £185 second hand (supposedly barely played). I was gonna get a kit guitar from Crimson but have decided to get this and do a full refret and upgrade all the hardware. Trying to decide whether to stick P90s in it or just get some better humbuckers. If I don't fuck that up then I'll buy a kit. Its the "worn" finish so it's pretty much satin from what I can gather. 

First humbucker guitar I've ever owned!

POP_G400WB.jpg

• Like 1

Well I'm sure you'll enjoy it, get some good volume on the amp with a bit of drive! 

I wouldn't change the pups straight away fwiw, especially if you've never used HBs, give it a few weeks and have a play about.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Its NAMM! Woo!

And in news about a Duchess that isn't exceptionally tedious

I'm into this big time, I love my V4 Kraken, making that form factor carry a power amp and a couple of effects as well gets a big ol' thumbs up. 

I ended up watching a video the other day explaining all that shit (20 minutes I'll never get back)

Chapman will be fine like, someone else will wander along soon enough to take the heat.

Tbh the new Chapman guitar stuff looks pretty goof, Rabeas signature guitars look great. 

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

I see your favourite YouTube personality is in the process of being cancelled @Gemmill

Chapman, fair play. You called it. :lol: 

Aye he would appear to be an absolute penis. "When you wield as much online power as I do..." :lol:

@Andrew I'm suspicious about the quality of the Chapman stuff. Looks like there are a lot of QC problems reported, even on his own forums. That business about them just bouncing in and out of Guitar Center with no checks being done is bad too - not his fault personally, but if there's an expectation that the shop will QC and do a full setup then that needs to happen.