The Guitar Thread

Tom

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye he would appear to be an absolute penis. "When you wield as much online power as I do..." :lol:

@Andrew I'm suspicious about the quality of the Chapman stuff. Looks like there are a lot of QC problems reported, even on his own forums. That business about them just bouncing in and out of Guitar Center with no checks being done is bad too - not his fault personally, but if there's an expectation that the shop will QC and do a full setup then that needs to happen.

He is definitely a penis like, but so are a lot of people. I like the people around him a lot more than I like him so he presumably must be alright in person (when hes not "on"), I did meet him once and he seemed nice enough to me tbh.

I am too but I reckon that is down to a lack of distributor to handle that stuff, given that the guitars come out of the same factories as 99% of other eastern made guitars I just don't see how the quality can be lacking in comparison except for another level of QC/Setup between the factory and buyer. I reckon (as fairly pointed out) the amount of "b-stock" chapmans is due to that lack of a distributor. Where normally, for other brands, those guitars would go back, theres no one for them to go back to in this case so they just get sold at a lesser price point.

Guitar Centre don't bother opening the boxes it seems, no surprise that the problematic ones slip through their hands into paying customers.

I think Chapman is probably a very average man who’s been catapulted into fame by a series of bizarre leaps in tech, YouTube etc. 

He’s alright on Andertons but you can see why his ego may have taken control a bit. Other than being a colossal bellend I’m not sure exactly of what’s he’s been accused of.

I imagine some less successful nerds are a bit jealous too like. Generally people like “chappers” don’t make it outside the games workshop so it’s no surprise he slipped up eventually.

• 1 month later...

Can you lads recommend a good, beginner-level guitar tutorial, preferably on YouTube?
My lad has been having lessons at school, he knows which string is which, where the notes are on the frets etc, he’s just starting out on chords and I’d like to be able to keep him going. 
As much as I love music, I am utterly lacking in any ability to play guitar myself. I’ve tried, numerous times, and it’s never going to happen :lol:

justinguitar is as good as you'll get anywhere (it's very good). All the videos are on YouTube but I would recommend going via his website as all the videos are structured into courses on there - harder to make sense of the structure on YouTube. He'll get loads of value out of the site though and it's all free. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

Ok guitar people, since you're all stuck inside with knob all else to do.

What are you learning?

All purchased before the shit hit the fan. Should keep me busy... 

• Like 1

I've been off and on with Infantile by Toska for a while, finally got to the point where one or two of the riffs that were giving me trouble are coming smoothly now.

Sticking to that tuning I'm learning Killswitch Engages version of Holy Diver because its fun and have finished with The End Of Heartache which brought back some teenage nostalgia.

After that I am less sure...

I was pissing about the other day and somehow started playing the guitar line from Kanye's Gorgeous which I believe is somewhere in here. EDIT: 1m10s to be exact

That kept me entertained for about 3 minutes because I'm a professional musician.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

I had a subscription to musicisum a few years ago when it was pretty new, which I eventually let lapse.

Had a look back in today and they look to have expanded their repertoire a bit, might get back on that for a couple of months.

41 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

jtcguitar is good too. Looks like it might have more content than musicisum but I might not be seeing everything that's available on there. 

That is interesting...have you used them? I was most interested in the production musicisum course with the guitar ones being a handy addition (especially since Rabea makes tons of music I like)

The main library here (which is currently closed...) has a full recording studio setup that is free to use and I really want to figure out how to use it.

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

That is interesting...have you used them? I was most interested in the production musicisum course with the guitar ones being a handy addition (especially since Rabea makes tons of music I like)

The main library here (which is currently closed...) has a full recording studio setup that is free to use and I really want to figure out how to use it.

Yeah I was a monthly member of JTC for a little while and have purchased a few of their courses. They're really good - high production value, good quality materials, and their roster of players is pretty ridiculous. 

The one thing I would say about their monthly fee approach is that you can't download the PDF that comes with the course. This might not be a problem for you but I hated it so have ended up buying a few of their courses instead (the melodic phrasing and arpeggio integration ones I posted videos for further up the page). I've also got a Hexatonic Scale course by a bloke called Roy Ziv - check him out on insta, he's ridiculous. 

I can definitely recommend it anyway. Try the monthly thing to see if you can get away with no PDF downloads and also just to have a good look round at what they've got. The breadth of content is crazy. Jack Gardiner has just done a course for them that looks like it'll be good - he's a student of Tom Quayle. Worst hair in the world but an amazing player. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hows the lockdown treating you chaps? 

I ended up going for the Musicisum one in the end and I'm enjoying it so far, mixture of picking and choosing lessons and exercises and learning songs of my own accord has been fun so far.

I also legitimately regret not buying myself a REALLY nice guitar of some sort for my 30th last year to have around. I can't see people or whatever but I still have my THINGS, things are there for me.

• 4 weeks later...

oooo cool, I've never got along with Fuzz, despite wanting to.

I think its something in how I play(ie, poorly) that fuzzes just pick out and make me feel terrible.

The Zvex’s do the EXACT opposite to that. If you make a mistake it’s well hidden :lol: 

(this is the super expensive artisan version but the normal pedal is nearly the same)