The Guitar Thread

Tom

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I thought toonpack was in Canada, who was I thinking of? :lol: 

I'm the old (but not as old as Leazesmag) twat who disappears for months on end

Cheers Gemmill btw

Fair :lol: 

If you don’t get on with Gemmill’s recommendation* I know a bloke in Durham who is class. 

*it might come back pink 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

If it comes back Pink I’ll not be happy only girls (or incredibly talented players) should have pink guitars

I'm non-binary. And shit. 

• Haha 1

I'd have a shell pink strat or tele with a black pickguard any day of the week! :wub:

But I also like Gemmills new one so...

12 hours ago, Tom said:

I thought toonpack was in Canada, who was I thinking of? :lol: 

Tooner? He’s British Columbia-based. 

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Tooner? He’s British Columbia-based. 

Aye that’s the bloke :lol: 

Now we know & at least Toonpack won’t need to go on an 8000 mile journey to get his guitar fixed 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

I'd have a shell pink strat or tele with a black pickguard any day of the week! :wub:

But I also like Gemmills new one so...

Andrew knows the score. I love the shell pink Charvels as well btw. And if I ever went wild and bought a custom shop Fender, it would either be shell pink or Fiesta red. 

On 07/07/2020 at 14:07, Tom said:

My Orange Rocker 30 has gone in for repair. 

Needs a re-solder on the heater contact points and a full revavle :( 

Ok the payoff from this is massive.

It sounds absolutely stunning, the clarity is amazing & the drive channel fucking rocks.

Its come back twice the amp.

Turns out you should get your amp serviced every now and then rather than waiting till it breaks.

Got it done at Stoneham Amplification in Waaaaalllllsend.

• Like 1

Have any of you been following Chris Bucks channel on youtube at all? I've been familiar with him for a while after appearances on Andertons and TPS but I've dived a bit deeper over the weekend.

What a player, love the finger/thumb playing for the most part, his opening jams and stuff are fantastic.

Enjoyed the '62 Strat journey videos, would recommend if you've not had a look.

Highway one has landed at my Mother in laws house for the time being, until I can ship it out here, some more pictures are showing it to be in fantastic nick, I suspect it has barely been played in its life so far.

Planning some mods to it already, despite not having any idea how it sounds or plays just yet :razz: think a black pickguard will be going on it, probably some locking tuners and an upgrade to the pots and switches on the assumption that its wired wrong like most lefties are.

I'm subscribed to Buck's channel, and he's a great player, but fuck me he is a boring kid. I just scan through the videos for the bits when he's playing cos I can't listen to his patter. 

Good news about the strat. Locking tuners are the greatest invention ever. Get some gold ones. ;)

10 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Good news about the strat. Locking tuners are the greatest invention ever. Get some gold ones. ;)

With pink mother of Pearl buttons obviously 

12 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I'm subscribed to Buck's channel, and he's a great player, but fuck me he is a boring kid. I just scan through the videos for the bits when he's playing cos I can't listen to his patter. 

Aye his crack is absolutely tragic. You’d think he was organising a filing cabinet as opposed to working as a professional musician. 

Also yeh I love locking tuners but I wouldn’t have them on my older guitars. 

I’m wondering how plausible it is to get a fully scalloped neck and interchange it as and when with the proper neck on my fender strat :unsure:

You'd probably have to get it custom made to make sure that the neck pocket fit was really tight. Once that's sorted though, swapping it out is a piece of piss. I bet Crimson would make you a custom neck for it. 

Or just get yourself a Malmsteen signature strat which comes with scalloped frets. ;)

Warmoth would do whatever you wanted, just had a look and a full scalloping would be $110 on top of whatever the price for whatever you wanted was.

Yeh I’ve a 2005 USA strat so that should be easy to build for & then I could just swap them whenever.

This also the temptation to get a £150 rip off strat with scalloped frets from Ali express haha 

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Warmoth would do whatever you wanted, just had a look and a full scalloping would be $110 on top of whatever the price for whatever you wanted was.

Do Warmoth ship to the UK do you know? Just wondering if its a big hassle or not. 

6 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Do Warmoth ship to the UK do you know? Just wondering if its a big hassle or not. 

Historically they have as far as I know. Maybe not with covid stuff? 

I’ve had some Anderton’s points on my account for a few year and haven’t managed to spend them till...now.

Got myself this nice vintage chorus.