The Guitar Thread

Tom

I found this video quite interesting. I’d been helping my sister move house and whilst she’s on with it  she’s left her guitar gear with me, not trusting the storage space. Fair play. (She has a Squier worth about a grand :o

So normally I get the Microsynth out and have a blast of that because it’s great fun. 

I noticed she had a Behringer Delay, which Id never seen before. I’d assumed it would be absolutely shite but plugged it in and it’s absolutely belter.

I’d always though Behringer made cheap shite, so I googled to check if they’d suddenly started making expensive pedals. 

The pedal cost £21 :lol:. It genuinely goes toe to toe with pedals ten times the price.

Definitely something I’m going to explore and I’m feeling a bit of a tit with my £400 Fuzz pedal,

I’ve got a load of my own pedals but if you let me know what you’ve got/price I’ll have a think. 

They’re so cheap you may as well buy them first hand. Messaged my sister before, says she got the delay for £10 on eBay :lol: 

8 hours ago, Tom said:

I found this video quite interesting. I’d been helping my sister move house and whilst she’s on with it  she’s left her guitar gear with me, not trusting the storage space. Fair play. (She has a Squier worth about a grand :o

So normally I get the Microsynth out and have a blast of that because it’s great fun. 

I noticed she had a Behringer Delay, which Id never seen before. I’d assumed it would be absolutely shite but plugged it in and it’s absolutely belter.

I’d always though Behringer made cheap shite, so I googled to check if they’d suddenly started making expensive pedals. 

The pedal cost £21 :lol:. It genuinely goes toe to toe with pedals ten times the price.

Definitely something I’m going to explore and I’m feeling a bit of a tit with my £400 Fuzz pedal,

How good was that, thanks T-Keith.

This is worth a watch too.

• Like 1

After watching that show on Behringer I was doing a bit of reading about them. Turns out they have made a replica of the old Roland Sh-101 synth (think Flock of Seagulls), the TR606 drum machine and the TD-303 bass line synth, which are basically the Holy trinity of Roland releases.

I've actually got an original SH-101 and they are going for $2k plus, I can sell it, buy all of the Behringer copies - which I might add review as identical, maybe even better because they have incorporated the mods people made, and still walk away with about $500 in my hand!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sammynb said:

After watching that show on Behringer I was doing a bit of reading about them. Turns out they have made a replica of the old Roland Sh-101 synth (think Flock of Seagulls), the TR606 drum machine and the TD-303 bass line synth, which are basically the Holy trinity of Roland releases.

I've actually got an original SH-101 and they are going for $2k plus, I can sell it, buy all of the Behringer copies - which I might add review as identical, maybe even better because they have incorporated the mods people made, and still walk away with about $500 in my hand!

It’s funny how the 303 and 606 weren’t popular with the rock market they were aimed at, then ended up in pawn shops and young kids from places like Detroit and Chicago got hold of them on the cheap. They started experimenting with them and that gave rise to house and techno, etc

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sammynb said:

I think I’m going to buy the copies of the rare Boss pedals just to have them in the armoury, even if it’s not something I’d traditionally use.

There’s surely got to be a point where Boss say “fuck this”, reissue the pedals through Waza Craft and take some legal action. 

Sold the Helix last week, not with anything in mind but I fancied a change, had the money for a few days keeping an eye on the used market, not being hasty (very unlike me) avoided the temptation to head to some music shops yesterday.

Lo and behold this pops up on TradeMe (Kiwi ebay) 10 minutes from where I live, in flawless condition for $1400 (about £700) which happens to be $50 less than I sold the helix for.

It was listed, bought by me and back in my house within an hour :razz: 

wycMK7L.jpg

Course I don't have a cab to run it through as yet but...baby steps?

7 hours ago, sammynb said:

I just bought one of these!

hooky6_7a124eff-922b-4416-b701-68ba13611

I was on the pre-order for the next batch but one became available. WTF was I thinking I can't afford it but had to have, had to have!

What is it?! 

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

It's an Eastman Hooky Bass 6 Pro, part of their bring it back custom shop guitars.

They had access to Peter Hook's (Joy Division/New Order) original Shergold Marathon 6 bass which haven't been made since the 80s, think the bass sound on Blue Monday.

Here's the full dets.

https://eastwoodcustoms.com/projects/peter-hook-signature/

Ah thats cool!

Peter Hook was the guest speaker at my graduation, and was the one doing the handshake and degree handover. Some good stories in that talk :razz:

On 06/09/2020 at 15:52, Andrew said:

Sold the Helix last week, not with anything in mind but I fancied a change, had the money for a few days keeping an eye on the used market, not being hasty (very unlike me) avoided the temptation to head to some music shops yesterday.

Lo and behold this pops up on TradeMe (Kiwi ebay) 10 minutes from where I live, in flawless condition for $1400 (about £700) which happens to be $50 less than I sold the helix for.

It was listed, bought by me and back in my house within an hour :razz: 

wycMK7L.jpg

Course I don't have a cab to run it through as yet but...baby steps?

So I have been borrowing a (surprisingly nice) Line 6 412 with Vintage 30s in it off a mate since Monday.

I bloody love it, running it from the low power output means I can have the master turned up and get a decent amount of headroom from channel 1, which interacts very well with the volume on the guitar to be really clean when turned down to just slightly pushed sounding at max.

Volume 2 is pure valvey overdrive, sort of "won't get fooled again" up to proper AC/DC with a change of volume on the guitar. 

And then I can kick the Kraken on, take the preamp out of the equation and get very heavy rock and metal out of its two channels. Gain 1 on that is setup to be more "modded marshall" and I can get it set to be a really tight EQ match to the Sheriff just with more gain, really works as a step up for lead sounds when set like that.

Fuck its good though. This is the first time I've spent proper money on a decent valve amp and it shows tbh, normally that cash would've been another guitar.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in the Classified ads section a few days ago and was directed to this thread. I build guitar pedals and recently put together a custom build for a Newcastle fan who bailed on me, so I've thrown it up on ebay to try to recover my costs and time spent. 

Looking at this thread I see loads of good pedal talk here (good to see the Josh Scott videos getting shared) so here's some specifics, it's a stripped back (ditched the tone control) souped up (more gain if you need it) Tube Screamer. Its typical for a tubescreamer circuit: trademark low mid hump and works as overdrive with the gain control cranked or a boost with it backed off. I'll cut right to the chase and just say its 90% the Run Off Groove version of the circuit with a few tweaks since I found their iteration a bit harsh and overly bright. 

Cheers. Happy to answer any questions. 

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=303693213514&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

IMG_20200916_100851.jpg

Edited by Blastronaut

Cheers Sammy. If you can't find me at the return address on the package I'll either be in the shed out the back garden or in the boozer two streets away. It doesn't suck tone at least, hope it plays nice with your rig. I used the same circuit to for a good 3 years to boost the front of a JTM45. 

I'll hit you up through ebay. Any issues give me a shout. 

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Out of interest, how much would a custom pedal normally cost?

Depends who's asking! :icon_lol:

Ah more seriously it really depends on the type of pedal and what you want it to look like. That one Sammy bought I normally wouldn't have entertained for less than £120 but the guy and me have a lot of mutual friends. With things being slow and it being a really simple design and low parts-counts we'd agreed on £90 and a 12 pack of Guinness. 

Something more elaborate, say a delay or a chorus pedal with a more intricate graphic I'd probably be asking for anything from £150-£200.

This isn't a full time thing for me, just something I occasionally do on the side. Feel free to PM me if you're looking for a quote for something, I'd usually need a 2-3 week lead time for something totally customised. I've got an Instagram account with a few other examples of my builds, I've just added it to my profile if it's of interest to anyone. 

Cheers

5 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Depends who's asking! :icon_lol:

Ah more seriously it really depends on the type of pedal and what you want it to look like. That one Sammy bought I normally wouldn't have entertained for less than £120 but the guy and me have a lot of mutual friends. With things being slow and it being a really simple design and low parts-counts we'd agreed on £90 and a 12 pack of Guinness. 

Something more elaborate, say a delay or a chorus pedal with a more intricate graphic I'd probably be asking for anything from £150-£200.

This isn't a full time thing for me, just something I occasionally do on the side. Feel free to PM me if you're looking for a quote for something, I'd usually need a 2-3 week lead time for something totally customised. I've got an Instagram account with a few other examples of my builds, I've just added it to my profile if it's of interest to anyone. 

Cheers

How do you do the finishing?

I am considering doing a kit build over the next couple of months but it would come with a bare enclosure, can't be having that. 

23 hours ago, Andrew said:

How do you do the finishing?

I am considering doing a kit build over the next couple of months but it would come with a bare enclosure, can't be having that. 

The graphics I'll either etch or use waterslide decals for the most part, depends what's called for. Eching is a bit more involved and harder to recover from if you bollocks something up. Decal paper is a lot more forgiving, honestly I wish I'd discovered it earlier. 

Then clearcoat, typically I'll use a gloss polyurethane lacquer since guitar pedals take quite a lot of abuse. Poly can take more of a beating than the automotive clear coats. 

>> bare enclosure, can't be having that

Don't tell anyone I said this but I honestly don't mind a bare enclosure. Most of the stuff I build for myself these days I never bother finishing. It's just going to lie on the floor getting kicked and beer spilled on it. 

(Edit to add:) most of the kits I've seen being sold look pretty decent. If you've got at least basic soldering skills I say go for it. If you ever run into any problems I'd highly recommend the diystompboxes forum. Great community thats been a far bigger help to me over the years than my electronics engineering background ever was. Aron who runs the forum and a whole host of other names that frequent the place were just featured in the last Premier Guitar magazine which was really nice to see. 

Edited by Blastronaut
Added more info
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've given myself a problem stepping away from the helix to regular amps and effects. I don't have enough money for all the things I want. :razz: 

Borrowing some stuff of a mate while hes away working so I have a tubscreamer, flashback delay and the fender marine layer off him at the moment.

Also bought a Behringer VD400 based on the JHS, analogue delay for £25, can't complain.

Also finally getting my two stored guitars in the UK sent out here after two years. I cannot wait to get my CS Tele in my hands again...