The Guitar Thread

Tom

18 hours ago, Andrew said:

I've had two guitars and some other stuff shipped out here over the last couple of years and nothing has broken or gone missing, so I am confident enough to try it.

HEAVILY insured.

Tbh insurance wouldn’t help me a great deal it’s more the sentimental value I suppose. 

I’d be doing a Bonamassa and getting the Les Paul a seat on the plane :lol: 

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Finally found a good cab at a good price today, after sifting through tons of garbage.

122076854-398497911181658-22258989629723

Love that dresser 

PS what’s the MESA like? ;) 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Love that dresser 

PS what’s the MESA like? ;) 

It has honestly surprised me, I was borrowing a 412 until I had this and it is definitely smaller in the room but there is less boom from it since it is so much lighter and moving a lot less air, in this quite small space it seems to be more appropriate and I'm able to get a bit more of an articulate sound from it, without having the bass turned all the way down. 

May get a couple of hours this afternoon where I can crank the Sheriff and see what its made of.

Build quality wise, its heavy for a 112 but that should be expected of Mesa I suppose.

Yeh a 412 is just insane for the house. Unless you live by yourself in the middle of nowhere. 

I once crashed a shelf off a wall with a 4x10 cranked, the sound pressure is just too much 

1x12 is a nice level tbh.

Does the sheriff have an attenuator? 

45 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yeh a 412 is just insane for the house. Unless you live by yourself in the middle of nowhere. 

I once crashed a shelf off a wall with a 4x10 cranked, the sound pressure is just too much 

1x12 is a nice level tbh.

Does the sheriff have an attenuator? 

Not a variable one, but one of its speaker outs is a low power mode that just runs at 0.3 watts which is perfect for being quiet at home.

Considering nobody wants 4x12s these days there is some serious bargains to be had on the second hand market. 

I'd agree they're overkill in most scenarios but people are so keen to get rid them you can pick them up for £50 to £100. Four 12inch broken-in Celestions for £50 is a pretty good deal, even for the bottom tier 70/80s. Just rip the speakers out and dump the cab if you don't have space for it. You can get pine boxes that are great for DIY speaker cabs from Bee-Keeper suppliers, ~£15 for one that perfect for a 1x12.    £65 quid for a 1x12 and three spare speakers. 

If you've got the space and are either two lazy for a bit of woodworking or just hopeless with that kinda thing just disconnect 3 of the four speakers and run it as a 1x12. It's not a perfect setup, the disconnected speakers will still shift some air at higher volumes (albeit passively) and you'll still look like the type of dick who has a 4x12 in his bedroom but you'll be laughing all the way to the bank. 

Edited by Blastronaut

Tried a few things out today, Keeley Dark Side and Caverns, Earthquacker Plumes and a Seymour Duncan Palladium.

The Keeleys are both 100% purchases over the next few months for me, absolutely loved them.

The Plumes was really cool, it was picked out by Josh Scott on JHS' youtube channel today so I figured I'd have a look if I saw one, it was cool tubescreamer-alike but...well...the tubescreamer is still the best tubescreamer imo.

The palladium was disappointing, really artificial sounding, didn't like it a bit.

• Thanks 1

I really wouldn't expect Robert Keeley put his name to garbage. Seymour Duncan on the other hand...... 

Similarly, I've never played any EQD pedal that I didn't like. Some of their stuff might look a bit gimmicky and/or throwaway but tonally they've always been on the money. Their original "hoof" is up there with my all time  favourite fuzz pedals. No mean feat. 

Watched that game on Sunday. Less said about it the better but I will say it gave me some ideas for a fully fledged line of Newcastle themed pedals to rival the Chinese made budget JOYO branded stuff. 

I'm thinking a not quite bargain-basement but moderately priced "JONJO" range: There's not much too them, barely half a dozen working components under the hood but they'll amazing things often enough to merit a permanent always-on residence on your pedal board. The catch is that now and again they'll do weird glitchy shit like the MXR Blue Box and be totally uncontrollable and some nights you'll probably find that your rig functions much better with them off. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Holy shit, what's that thing on the right?! Also, you could do with something in rose gold with gold hardware, but other than that, nice collection. 👍

Ltd snakebyte, hetfield signature model. It's great! 

54 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Is it heavy? It looks gigantic? 

Sounding? Yes!

weight wise? Actually no, it’s no bigger than a regular explorer really and also possibly the lightest guitar in the picture. It might just be that it’s not as heavy as it looks though so I think it is lighter than it is.

Ok so I’ve ended up giving this guitar to a friend. It was a spur of the moment thing, he was my best friend growing up and has being working as a military Dr in Kabul for 6 months.

So with that comes a constant fear of him not coming home or getting hurt. So he got home the other day & it’s the first time I’d seen him all year yesterday so I thought fuck it, I’ll give him this guitar. It’s going to give him something to do whilst he’s off for a few months - apart from look after 3 bairns. 

I’m asking what everyone’s recommendations for a starter amp might be? I was hoping for multi-functionality, perhaps to be able to work as a Bluetooth speaker. 

He’s not short of cash & has just got a £200 est guitar for nowt so I’m curious as to what a helpful amp might be.

1C431243-0EB1-4B44-8447-F8B082389846.jpeg

Nice one lads. I’ll relay this back to him. 

Worst comes to worst it’ll look cool on the office wall or one of his bairns will eventually pick it up.

My total expense on the guitar was £36 and some manual labour so I’m happy to see it in a good home.

*shameless plug warning*

I was doing a batch of Scottish old-firm themed pedals the other week and threw this together on a whim since I already had the graphic from the last time. Its a straight up JHS Angry Charlie/MI Audio Crunch Box clone (same circuit, one extra component in the JHS that shaves off some of the highs. Switch underneath the backplate to select between both modes. I prefer the brighter Crunch Box myself). 

Cheers. 

Ebay link

IMG_20201111_122053.jpg

It looks to me as if Epiphone have rebranded a range as “inspired by Gibson” and slapped a few hundred more £ on. 

Strange. It’s like they were trying to fill a price point instead of build a guitar.

I've always found epiphones quite uninspiring, I honestly don't know what they could make/offer that would really interest me.

Complete opposite of Squier who seem to mix the lineup in an interesting way quite frequently .

Considering the sheer number of good guitars in the 500-1000 price range now and that Epiphones entire line is just "cheaper Gibson" when Gibsons themselves are massively overpriced and also not particularly interesting, whats the point?