The Guitar Thread

Tom

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (the SG with 3 pickups) and it’s an epic guitar but I’ve had it since was 14 and it was £400 then. I had a 339 which was a lovely guitar, but again it was dear. 

I see some Epis that look decent and then I see the price and it’s fairly pointless. The Bonamassa ones look great but they’re the best part of a grand. It’s crackers. 

"inspired by Gibson" as if nobody already knew. 

I dont mind epiphones and have played plenty decent ones but this is pretty lazy marketing. I guess they've been looking a legal way to get the Gibson name on there. Squire have had a subtle "licensed by fender" on a most of their gear but this is more akin to them calling the Classic Vibe range "it's basically A Fender". 

Edited by Blastronaut

• 2 weeks later...

Been mulling it over for a bit and have pulled the trigger on an HX Stomp and a Powercab Plus. I've already got an HX Effects and was watching someone on YouTube running the two together, with the Stomp doing amp modelling in the loop of the FX, allowing you to control the Stomp via the footswitches on the FX over Midi. 

Anyway, let's see how it works. 

• Like 1

Sounds interesting.

I haven’t gone down the digital route yet. I’m at the point now I’ve been playing tube amps so long I’d probably have withdrawal symptoms.

5 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Been mulling it over for a bit and have pulled the trigger on an HX Stomp and a Powercab Plus. I've already got an HX Effects and was watching someone on YouTube running the two together, with the Stomp doing amp modelling in the loop of the FX, allowing you to control the Stomp via the footswitches on the FX over Midi. 

Anyway, let's see how it works. 

Thats pretty cool, not tempted to go for a full Helix at that point?

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Thats pretty cool, not tempted to go for a full Helix at that point?

It was the fact that I already had the HX FX to start with that stopped me, really. £400 gets me the Stomp vs £1200 or whatever it is for full Helix. I could obviously have then sold my FX but would still have been out of pocket.

Between the two units I should (I think) be able to divvy up the DSP enough to do anything that I would do with a full Helix (not saying its as powerful, just that it's as powerful as it needs to be for a fuckwit like me). The Powercab looks easy enough to just plug and play as well, which was appealing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I was given an early christmas present at the weekend, and now have one of these in my setup! It is bloody marvellous!

lmjwqpnhsz0ys7uxcdtm.jpg

These things look mint. Love all the big reverb stuff that's floating around atm. 

I’ve got a new E.P out on...I think Tuesday. 

I’ll fire up a link, most of its songwriting bollocks which I’m trying to get better at however there’s one guitar solo I’m proud of so I’ll stick it here in the guitar thread! 

Also I have a new musical partner so I can finally move away from being wank at solo work and actually make some BANGERS....by which I mean quiet folk songs 

• Like 2

there you go :lol: 

https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/thomaskeith/voluntary-excess

Huge thanks to everyone for their birthday wishes, it’s greatly appreciated, especially in this year.

I decided to release a record on my birthday, like Bowie used to do & I’ll try and keep it up. 

There’s 5 new songs and, the best experience is mixed for headphones. For this record I play guitar, bass, drums & some weird organ thing. So the recording approach was a little different but it’s all experience. 

I was delighted to have Danielle Lewis along to lend their wonderful vocals to the first track & we’ll be working a lot more together in future which thankfully will band work and not solo work! 

It’s currently available on Apple Music, ITunes & Spotify, though will be released through every major platform soon.

Link - https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/thomaskeith/voluntary-excess

Tracks - 

Lost With You (Origami Class) (Ft Dan Lewis)

Voluntary Excess 

Air Rifle (Lo-Fi)

Dirt

Luna 

Some inspiration....

LR “Oh, great by me” 

GJ : Yeah? Mine were alright, wasn't my best one but who cares?

LR “That's the spirit”

That’s the end of my favourite Cribs song. So onwards and upwards....

• Like 3

12 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

I listened to all your eps on Spotify yesterday afternoon @Tom you sound like early Pavement demos, I’ve never heard any but you sound like how I imagine them :D 

Cheers :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

Was just browsing on thomann.de and they’re selling house brand “Harley Benton” guitars with proper Floyd Roses for £120. 

How on Earth do they pull that off? Crackers. 

(also tempted :lol:)

The Harley Benton stuff is, by most accounts I've read/watched, really good.

They've a range of Celestion V30 loaded cabs that generally work out to be less than just buying the speakers would cost you. They've got unbelievable buying power.

20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The Harley Benton stuff is, by most accounts I've read/watched, really good.

They've a range of Celestion V30 loaded cabs that generally work out to be less than just buying the speakers would cost you. They've got unbelievable buying power.

Yeh I’m quite baffled by the price I could have sworn a Floyd Rose was about £140 by itself :lol: 

I’ll probably give one a go in the new year, the reviews are great.