The Guitar Thread

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a Ditto+ looper which will be getting a test run tonight. 

I'm loving the HX Stomp and Powercab+ BTW. I liked the HX Effects anyway and Line 6 have really nailed the user interface on these things - it's so easy to get good sounds in minute. But the Stomp is something else, the amp modelling sounds amazing and it's so easy to set up a preset. 

There's some incredible YouTube channels as well about dialling in different models (shoutout to Jason Sadites who is the king of this stuff), so the community shared knowledge is great. 

I've mainly just been pissing about with Fender Deluxe, Twin and Princeton models and the fact you can go straight out to headphones is class for pissing about when you need to keep quiet. 

Anyway, highly recommended if you get sick of your tube amps. :razz:

The Ditto’s are absolutely exceptional. 

I had one of the fancy models but it broke, used to do half time/double speed or reverse and you could mix them all up so it was mental.

Ive got the little standard model now and its

champion. 

Haven’t played guitar properly in a while, I’ve been tuning and mic’ing up drums this week. 

Charvel have had out a Telecaster type with a Gibson style bridge for years now (pretty sure it's someone's it's someone's signature model) that I've convinced myself is as close to my dream guitar as I'll get. 

I've just never seen one in person and couldn't buy a guitar without actually having a shot first. 

25 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Charvel have had out a Telecaster type with a Gibson style bridge for years now (pretty sure it's someone's it's someone's signature model) that I've convinced myself is as close to my dream guitar as I'll get. 

I've just never seen one in person and couldn't buy a guitar without actually having a shot first. 

The Joe Duplantier ones! I do love a Tele, though Rabea Massaads signature chapmans are my favourite non-tele teles going.

I have it in my head that you're scotland right?

Guitarguitar do Charvel, could probably get one in there...some time...I have no idea what lockdown is like in the UK anymore.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’ve liked the look of the Charvels for years, but yes, money. :lol: 

I'd probably have to sell to buy tbh, but I like what I've got and the only thing this would be a direct replacement for would probably be my Squier Tele, which I both love and wouldn't put much of a dent in the price.

26 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The Joe Duplantier ones! I do love a Tele, though Rabea Massaads signature chapmans are my favourite non-tele teles going.

I have it in my head that you're scotland right?

Guitarguitar do Charvel, could probably get one in there...some time...I have no idea what lockdown is like in the UK anymore.

Thats the guy!  And aye Scotland right enough. GuitarGuitar is a shout, if they're even open. 

Didn't know Rabea had his own line of guitars but tbf I only know him as the least irritating bloke from the andertons videos. 

*Edit to add, that's unfair. The Danish fella actually seemed pretty sound. 

Edited by Blastronaut

I've stood looking at the Charvels in guitarguitar before. They look great in person - both the bright orange and Shell pink ones. 

I've just discovered Command Centre on the helix and it's changed my world. 

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I've stood looking at the Charvels in guitarguitar before. They look great in person - both the bright orange and Shell pink ones. 

I've just discovered Command Centre on the helix and it's changed my world. 

I've had ex's that looked great in person. Would've saved myself a few headaches if I'd spent 10 minutes getting to know them before diving in. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I'd probably have to sell to buy tbh, but I like what I've got and the only thing this would be a direct replacement for would probably be my Squier Tele, which I both love and wouldn't put much of a dent in the price.

Yeh I’m in about the same boat and I’ve sold a lot of gear this past couple of years.

I’ve whittled the collection down to a few I really want and still got a house full tbh.

1 hour ago, Blastronaut said:

Thats the guy!  And aye Scotland right enough. GuitarGuitar is a shout, if they're even open. 

Didn't know Rabea had his own line of guitars but tbf I only know him as the least irritating bloke from the andertons videos. 

*Edit to add, that's unfair. The Danish fella actually seemed pretty sound. 

If you're into heavier music his actual music output is well worth a look into, he has 3 EPs on Spotify (other platforms are available) of tracks hes made for demos on his own channel (also worth a sub) and there are a few absolute bangers on them.

21 hours ago, Andrew said:

If you're into heavier music his actual music output is well worth a look into, he has 3 EPs on Spotify (other platforms are available) of tracks hes made for demos on his own channel (also worth a sub) and there are a few absolute bangers on them.

Might check it out, cheers. From what I remember from the andertons videos he's got some chops and an ear for a good riff. Guy from work once forced me to listen the band he was in with Chapman, really wasnae my cup of tea tbh. Had a bit of a Christian-Rock vibe if I mind right. Prefer my metal bands to sound like they sold their souls. 

8 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Might check it out, cheers. From what I remember from the andertons videos he's got some chops and an ear for a good riff. Guy from work once forced me to listen the band he was in with Chapman, really wasnae my cup of tea tbh. Had a bit of a Christian-Rock vibe if I mind right. Prefer my metal bands to sound like they sold their souls. 

Robs vocals dont help. the other three have an instrumental band called Toska which is fantastic.

Ah, and there are also the covers he does with his partner, which I love.

Yeah I'm a fan ok :razz:

Ha! Holy shit he doesn't half have some chops. And that's some tone. 

Meant no harm. Whatever floats yer boat like! I'm a bit of an oddball when it comes to metal. I like Voivod and can say with a straight face that Al Pitrelli was my favourite Megadeth guitarist.

Edited by Blastronaut

6 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Ha! Holy shit he doesn't half have some chops. And that's some tone. 

Meant no harm. Whatever floats yer boat like! I'm a bit of an oddball when it comes to metal. I like Voivod and can say with a straight face that Al Pitrelli was my favourite Megadeth guitarist.

oh absolutely no offence taken! I'm with you, theres a reason I don't post much in the "what are you listening too" thread, I wouldn't get a moments peace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why is everyone using “mute straps” at the moment? 

I was gonna say it’s because people can’t be arsed to learn to play but I’ve seen great players using them too.

image.jpeg.151f2d1fbaabff6e37fbf2b2fe27dae4.jpeg

These things? 

They’re very useful for high gains prog stuff, keeping strings in check for tapping or preventing sympathetic ringing from open strings or behind the nut when you’ve a lot of gain going. 

I think guys were using them in the studio more than live since you’re trying to get your perfect takes and shit and then just thought...why am I not using this all the time if it is helping me get my best takes? 

Yeh that’s the thing. 

I might pick one up and see what it’s like. Can’t hurt for £10. 

I think some people use a capo to have a similar effect for tapping, certainly a lot of the math rock lot. It won’t mute as well I suppose.

I’ve took the grown up decision to build a modest pedal board & I’ve ordered some gear. 

So I ordered a large pedal board & a power brick from Amazon.

and a Behringer Wah pedal, a delay pedal and a reverb pedal from Thomann.

So it should be -

Wah > Fuzz Factory 7 > MXR Dookie Drive > TC Electronic June-60 > Delay > Loop > Reverb 

And I can finally stop tripping over stuff :lol: 

Yeh I had to risk it because nowhere else was doing what I wanted. Amazon wouldn’t send them. 

After considering the quality of the gear and the price I decided I’m happy enough to wait if I have to. Although the equipment was £88 so Thomann handle the VAT and there won’t be any customs charges. 

The wah pedal seems better than stuff 4 x the price & it’s optical so will last for ages :up: