The Guitar Thread

Tom

@Blastronaut

Yeh it’s the hellbabe. Which is a fucking shit name but it is what It is.

The last Jim Dunlop I had was a 535Q which I think the hellbabe is loosely based on and the hellbabe blows it out of the water. 

The optical side of it is fantastic, it’s much easier to use and won’t break. Plus you don’t have to click it in to play, the pedal starts as soon as you move it. 

So for £40 I’m absolutely over the moon. You can edit a lot about the tone but I’ve got it before the drive pedals set to quite a snappy wah and it really rings out the high notes.

• Like 1

Sounds ideal. Speaking of shit pedal names I briefly had a Bad Horsie and loved the "clickless"  action but not being able to leave it cocked really wound me up after a while. 

I only tend to always go back to crybabies since they're relatively easy to mod or just transplant totally different circuits in (vibe, trem, etc.). 

Mines is on the shelf gather dust right now not getting played (just the basic '95). Got really into tremolo again lately so I'm tempted to gut out the wah circuit and jam something like the Tremulus Line in there. If that works out I'll probably be looking for another cheap wah sometime in the next 6 months. 

I hadn’t even considered if I could leave it cocked I suppose but I only listen to Dire Straits once every 18 months so I’ll cope. 

I haven’t had a wah for an awful long time and I didn’t really set out to buy one. I just wanted to complete a basic pedal board and thought....”that’s a thing” 

Its great fun thought :lol: 

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Anyone ever played one of those Blackstar Fly amps? I’m tempted to pick one up.

Never played one but know a few people from the diy scene who rate them as handy little headphone amps. I'd be tempted to write off the 3" speaker as just for novelty value, but saying that a mate of mines has a Yamaha THR5 and I think it's speakers are almost the same size (that thing is great fun). 

• Like 1

Yeh I was half thinking of headphones at the same time, with that comes the idea to go straight into the Mac or IPhone Pro however I’m not sure about latency. 

You can get a little cab for the little Blackstar and make it a stereo setup so the speaker can’t be that bad :lol: 

15 minutes ago, Andrew said:

You can get a focusrite scarlet solo for £100 and have access to loads of free plugins, neural DSPs free trials etc. on your Mac.

Aye man. With a decent interface latency isn't really an issue. 3ms latecy is nothing. Even 10ms is fuck all compared to trying jam with real people after 6 pints. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

You can get a little cab for the little Blackstar and make it a stereo setup so the speaker can’t be that bad :lol: 

Serious question: if the Fly didn't exist, would you ever go out of your way to buy a plastic speaker cab with a 3" driver for your guitar? 

Yeh, I’d probably be looking at something similar. 

I just need something less industrial than a tube amp, to quickly pick up and play.

Also they made a Blackstar with 80s Ibanez aesthetic, pink and yellow 💉 

Just sold the thinline Jag, nice guitar but too fragile for me. I should learn semi hollow body guitar are for other people.

Sold it for 3.5 times what I paid for it, first time I've ever made money on a guitar which was nice.

IMG_1460.JPG

39 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Just sold the thinline Jag, nice guitar but too fragile for me. I should learn semi hollow body guitar are for other people.

Sold it for 3.5 times what I paid for it, first time I've ever made money on a guitar which was nice.

IMG_1460.JPG

Nice looking guitar. 

I must officially be middle aged now cos I'm very tempted by a PRS. The guitar equivalent of @ewerkand his Merc. 

Edited by Gemmill

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Nice looking guitar. 

I must officially be middle aged now cos I'm very tempted by a PRS. The guitar equivalent of @ewerkand his Merc. 

@ewerk has a Merc?

AH is right, don't do a PRS, you'll be playing Hawkwind covers, growing a mullet and telling everyone it's fashionable while practising your hammer ons and pull offs. 

35 minutes ago, Tom said:

I too like the look of PRS Guitars. :lol: 

Ive always avoided buying one like, probably because my Les Paul covers that range of tones  & has a nicer neck.

Aye the thing that's got me interested is that they seem to have cracked the humbucker/single coil thing with their latest pickup design. You can split both neck and bridge and by all accounts they've absolutely nailed it - not a thin single coil and the volume doesn't drop off a cliff when you split. Plus they do look nice. 

Anyway it'd be the CE I'd get, which is the bolt-on that comes with the USA made pickups. Basically the cheapest model that comes with those pickups!

We'll see anyway, need to make sure I'll have a job beyond this year first. :lol:

Fair :lol:

I’ve been on the verge of buying a Mira several times and I regret not doing it. They’ve started making them in...somewhere that’s not USA now & that’s took a few hundred off the price and presumably not the quality. 

They leave most brands behind for pickup research/development. They’re constantly on with it. 

I’d probably be leaning towards a custom 24 but not for a while. I’d be after a proper piece of furniture tbh :lol: 

Ive been playing with balaguers configurator a bit the last couple of days.

Made some right freaks :razz:

I do like the look idea of some though, and the price is tempting.