The Guitar Thread

Tom

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

I have no idea! 

I was assuming it went between the amp & the speaker! :lol: 

Oh fuck no seriously don't do that! That's an expensive repair and why I'm surprised they can get away with marketing this thing as a "passive attenuator". Going back to my "try a volume pedal in the effects loop" that's all this is. 

Edit: yeah shit, sorry Tom from what I see the class 5 doesn't have an effects loop. My bad. 

Edited by Blastronaut

Oh no worries man!

I have a few tube amps anyway so it’ll probably work with one of them.

The Marshall does sound great but yeh it’s definitely too loud. My late father bought me it on his death bed so it’s not going anywhere like! :lol: 

Oh man that's some serious sentimental value. You could probably find a good tech will mod it with an effects loop but likely easier just getting a proper attenuator if this is only thing you'd use the loop for. 

I inherited a 12-string acoustic and a Yamaha Pacifica from my old man when he passed, neither get played very often but I couldnt ever part with them. Wall hangers, really. The pacifica actually plays really nice but strat types were never my thing. Cheapest guitar in the house but gets looked after better than my main. 

I think I’ll probably leave it tbh, but yes it’s got serious sentimental value. I ordered a custom flight case for it and the bloke was like “.......and this is for a class 5, you sure mate?” :lol: 

Theres nothing wrong with a wall hanger, however I really like the pacifica, they’re great guitars.

I once had a Yamaha 335 style thing and it was great!

Aye it's the basic model (112j) and honestly plays great. Just not my thing, more at home with Tele's and Les Paul's. I've long fancied getting one of their SGs (you know the ones that aren't actually SG's but just double cut Les Pauls?). Honestly dont even know what it is about them, I just like the look of them. 

I honestly don't know where to start with this. There was a big discussion over on the diystompboxes forum a few years ago when Korg started trying to flog that NuTube thing as some game-changing new technology. If I memory serves it's essentially the same thing you'd find in flourecent displays back in the early 90s.

£200 and they won't even assemble it for you? Sounds like a worse deal than a day trip to IKEA. If anyone wants to get into the pedal building thing and doesn't know where to start id recommend just getting a kit from somewhere like Fuzzdog. Spend the change on a decent soldering iron and a nice bottle of whisky. 

(Edit to add:) aye, this "new and revolutionary" technology was in your VCR and your car radio a few decades ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_fluorescent_display

Edited by Blastronaut

Go for it man, nothing to be intimidated by like. If you can solder these kits are childsplay. Pretty deep rabbit hole to fall into though.

Ive never used kits but most of them look pretty legit. I only mentioned fuzzdog since a guy I know recently got started with one of their EQD clones and was really happy with it. 

On 23/02/2021 at 21:05, Tom said:

Yeh I think I’ll get one before normality is back :lol: 

If you go for it and it all goes tits up feel free to drop me a message. If you can solder even just a little the kits are probably no more difficult than lego, just with a slight chance of 1st or 2nd degree burns. Pedals circuits are also relatively safe to fuck about with, none of dangerous high currents associated with valve amps to worry about. 

That forum I mentioned earlier is also a great resource if you do get into it. Full of really friendly folk and the majority of the are much smarter than me. 

Back to those nutube's. They probably sound really good tbf (as far as low-voltage valve pre-amps go). I'm just a cynical prick and find all that "revolutionary new technology" marketing bollocks and the associated price tags massively disengenuous. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hope I didn't kill this thread by acting like a bellend and slagging off every bit of gear mentioned.

Any tremolo fans? I had no time for it until about a year ago. Finally saw the light and have been a bit obsessed since. Jam one between a phaser and a delay, brilliant fun. 

I haven’t used one in ages. Although I had some Duane Eddy on the other day so its Fresh in the memory :up: 

I prefer it when it’s more of a “swell” than staccato stutter type thing. 

Ive been playing a lot recently. Can’t put this Behringer wah down, my neighbours must hate me :lol: 

Will there be a tremolo on there @Andrew

@Tom I know what you mean, I think the main reason I couldn't be arsed with them for so long was through associating volume modulation with that crap extreme stutter effect on those cheap amps with built in multi effects. Took a fella I know who really likes his psychedelics telling me to "have a fucking word with myself" for me to explore them properly and admit I was wrong. 

As for Wah, I love a good wah but I'm just not coordinated enough to work them properly. I blame it on being a lefty that plays as a righty, but probably just don't practice enough. 

19 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Will there be a tremolo on there @Andrew

@Tom I know what you mean, I think the main reason I couldn't be arsed with them for so long was through associating volume modulation with that crap extreme stutter effect on those cheap amps with built in multi effects. Took a fella I know who really likes his psychedelics telling me to "have a fucking word with myself" for me to explore them properly and admit I was wrong. 

As for Wah, I love a good wah but I'm just not coordinated enough to work them properly. I blame it on being a lefty that plays as a righty, but probably just don't practice enough. 

Nah, not to start with anyway, I'm a simple man when it comes to effects, not a ton of tremolo in metal which is most of what I play.

Kraken is the main presence on the board, couple of different drives before it and some delay/reverb going off to the loop and I'm golden.

34 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Can you work a wah properly or sweep pick? I can't. 

Can I shite! I think it was definitely an advantage to start off with, having your dominant hand as your fretting hand, but it didn't last. 

• Thanks 1

I'm in a similar boat to be honest @Andrew I've got shelves and drawers full of pedals but my home pedal board is usually only about 8 and anytime I've been involved with bands it gets cut back to about 4 or 5. Two drives, one usually set as a boost, a delay and a tuner. Space for whatever vibe or phaser is flavour of the month. 

The whole left hand right hand thing (going off a tangent here), it's probably fair to say I just never knew left handed guitars existed until it was too late. I'd actually go as far as saying it made things easier when I first picked it up, stronger fretting hand, piss-weak picking hand. I used to wonder if the "conventional" way is just a holdover from classical styles, where the picking hand would be doing all the work, but aye like @Gemmill that didn't last long. 

I'm veering off topic but I remember hearing somewhere that dominant hand is only really an issue if your dominant eye doesn't match up. As in right handed folk with a dominant left eye and vice-versa tend to be clumsy and uncoordinated as fuck. Dunno if there's any truth to it but I'll take any excuses I can get.