The Guitar Thread

Tom

1 hour ago, Blastronaut said:

Will there be a tremolo on there @Andrew

@Tom I know what you mean, I think the main reason I couldn't be arsed with them for so long was through associating volume modulation with that crap extreme stutter effect on those cheap amps with built in multi effects. Took a fella I know who really likes his psychedelics telling me to "have a fucking word with myself" for me to explore them properly and admit I was wrong. 

As for Wah, I love a good wah but I'm just not coordinated enough to work them properly. I blame it on being a lefty that plays as a righty, but probably just don't practice enough. 

Yeh you can get some utter shite variations of most pedals I suppose & as we’ve learned it’s not always something you can throw money at.

I hear what you’re saying about wahs, this one is optical mind so I think that makes a big difference.

Those behringer Wah's actually look great man. I just can't multitask. Wah's fuck me up, probably because i use them on my left foot and end up getting tangled in guitar leads. 

As an aside I'm currently fighting with a ridiculous project I took on against all better judgement. Local fella wanted a delay in a wah shell and I stupidly said "aye, suppose its doable, I'll need a wah shell though" and forgot about it until some Hermes delivery guy appeared at the door with a broken crybaby:

• Haha 1

I’m sure you can get expression pedals with a lot of delays these days. 

You can get one for the Keeley Darkside, works on all the modulations and the tape delay.

Sounds good though!

I'll need to look that up! That video is the Keeley Magnetic Echo with delay time on the wah, spent that whole day trying out all the different options trying to throw halfarsed demos together for the guy. Thought we'd settled on feedback/repeats but I realised on Friday you can can get a psuedo whammy effect if its set up like in that video and turn the delay mix up and the the feedback/repeats control down. You can hear the pitch shift going on a little in that video, wish I'd explored it more. Too many possibilities. 

I keep seeing people put matte black EMGs in burst Les Pauls & I want to wrap the guitar around the back of their heads. 

• Like 1

Chrome is practically a trigger word for me. 

It's not what you think though, I don't have a problem with chrome at all I just can't hear or read that word without it starting Zappa's "who are the brain police?" on an endless loop in my head. 

:lol: 

Bareknuckle are knocking out some canny finishes, some pretty wacky ones but some are quite simple & nice. 

I don’t understand why people pay for pickups covers to be aged mind, surely you can do that yourself!

Similar story with reliced guitars, really. And worn-look ripped jeans. 

Each to their own, I suppose. Whatever floats yer boat and all that. I don't mind beat up guitars as long they play. Sure as fuck wouldn't actively seek one out or pay a premium though. 

I’ve played the hell out of my Les Paul for about 17 years, it’s had a million pints spilled on it and the odd knock & theres barely a mark on it. The headstock is a little worn & it’s less glossy & theres a few tiny hairline cracks in the lacquer but that’s it.(it’s nitrocellulose too!)

However i see lads with pick marks that have taken away the finish, & bare wood on the back who have guitars less than half as old. Yeh right :lol: 

(same with my strat actually, although it’s white so has yellowed) 

17 year old nitro finish with barely a mark on it? If it wasn't for knowing my brother in law (who probably looks after his guitars better than his children) I'd have a hard time believing that. 

Im not all that fussed about aesthetics as long as they play well and feel right (but aye, ok, I've got a firebird that I bought purely on looks and I'd probably draw the line at a neon finish superstrat with that Steve vai Handle). 

There’s an ESP EC-256 going locally for £150 and I’m sorely tempted. That’s robbery. I’m sure they were about £450 new. 

It’s had the relic treatment mind (factory) :lol: 

53D853BB-3A47-4D78-8AD1-3CDC1A41859C.jpeg

10 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

17 year old nitro finish with barely a mark on it? If it wasn't for knowing my brother in law (who probably looks after his guitars better than his children) I'd have a hard time believing that. 

Im not all that fussed about aesthetics as long as they play well and feel right (but aye, ok, I've got a firebird that I bought purely on looks and I'd probably draw the line at a neon finish superstrat with that Steve vai Handle). 

Compare to some of these I see online mine looks brand new, point is I think people are taking sandpaper/hair dryers to theirs rather than playing them :lol:

I like a daft guitar as much as anything but my main ones are pretty basic tbh, couldn’t play a firebird like, the bodies are massive.

That Danish Pete fella took his gold top, blasted it with a hot hair dryer and then sprayed it with cold compressed air (or maybe it was in reverse order). Instant checking all over. It looked alright tbf but I'm not that arsed that I would go down that route. 

Tomo Fujita's youtube channel is my new thing. He's a Berklee professor and apparently John Mayer's guitar teacher. It's like getting taught guitar by Mr Miyage and not just because of the accent, he's got this weird philosopher/teacher thing going on. 

Give it a look. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gemmill said:

There you go. Howay Tom, let's get the hair dryer out. 

It's like the grown-up equivalent to my four year old finding that one bit of wallpaper seem he can get a grip of and fucking up all those hours of labour, just because he can. 

You're not kidding about Tomo Fujita though, I just checked him out. He's great! So much laid back (non-patronising) wisdom, and fuck me he can play. That rake! 

• Like 1

Lets see what @Blastronaut triggers I can hit with this. ;)

Board is fairly simple, currently a CKK Royal Fuzz (borrowed from a friend and being replaced with the precision drive if I win the auction), Nux Steel Singer into the front of the Sheriff/Kraken, Kraken is now off the board and can stay with the amp instead, Behringer vintage delay and Keeley Caverns in the loop, two footswitches on the end to control the Sheriff and Kraken, underneath providing power is a T.Rex Fuel Tank Junior.

33 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Lets see what @Blastronaut triggers I can hit with this. ;)

Board is fairly simple, currently a CKK Royal Fuzz (borrowed from a friend and being replaced with the precision drive if I win the auction), Nux Steel Singer into the front of the Sheriff/Kraken, Kraken is now off the board and can stay with the amp instead, Behringer vintage delay and Keeley Caverns in the loop, two footswitches on the end to control the Sheriff and Kraken, underneath providing power is a T.Rex Fuel Tank Junior.

Haha. You're all good man, caught me at a good time. I had new neighbours move in Friday so all my negative energy for the weekend is spent. 

Actually looks like a nice setup though. Decent way to spend a Sunday. 👍

Looked up the CKK Royal fuzz since I hadn't heard of it and was curious. Didn't find much on the diy scene but in a game of Russian Roulette I'd be all its based on the Big Muff circuit.  That's not even a criticism though, especially the price they sell it going for. Actually a breath of fresh air. 

Those additional switches are common Big Muff mods, the tone control responds the same from the videos I checked out and it just sounds like and old school Big Muff. 

Here's one I was just asked about (let me know if I'm boring you all btw). It's got it all! Misleading marketing wank, false scarcity and borrowed a classic fuzz circuit and put their name on it. Originals go for silly money. https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/black-ash

"Limited to 1500 units worldwide, Black Ash is a fuzz/overdrive that takes some cues from the vintage “three-knob Bender.” It uses a highly curated cache of rare and irreplaceable components including paper-in-oil capacitors and NOS half-watt carbon composition resistors from EQD President Jamie Stillman’s personal stash to light a fire under this classic fuzz/drive with an explosive-yet-detailed treble response, a sturdy midrange, and subterranean bass extension."