The Guitar Thread

Tom

55 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Do you know what brand and model acoustic Scotty?

Aye I'm looking at the Faith Blood Moon Venus.

I would love a Martin but I'm not in the market for spending a load of money and their budget ranges are really low spec. With the Faith guitars they're ALL solid wood, even down to the bottom of the range, which is mental. 

I had a try of one at lunchtime today so I just need to sell the pink lady and then I'll pull the trigger. 

37 minutes ago, Tom said:

Get him @Blastronaut

An FY2? Good taste! Nice graphic too. I built one for a mate a few years ago. I think he fucking hated it.  Pretty sure the conversation went exactly like the time we were drinking and I put on Endless Nameless by the Wildhearts ("yeah it does sound broken, it's meant to sound like that").

Only thing I would nitpick about is the switch seems pointless, I'd just hardwire the unity gain mod and be done with it.  Won't really change the sound and I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would choose to run it stock. (Yeah I'm clutching at straws here).

Edited by Blastronaut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Aye I'm looking at the Faith Blood Moon Venus.

I would love a Martin but I'm not in the market for spending a load of money and their budget ranges are really low spec. With the Faith guitars they're ALL solid wood, even down to the bottom of the range, which is mental. 

I had a try of one at lunchtime today so I just need to sell the pink lady and then I'll pull the trigger. 

Nice guitar, not cheap though is it?

I've got a solid cedar Seagull S6 which was great value and is a great acoustic guitar.

7 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

An FY2? Good taste! Nice graphic too. I built one for a mate a few years ago. I think he fucking hated it.  Pretty sure the conversation went exactly like the time we were drinking and I put on Endless Nameless by the Wildhearts ("yeah it does sound broken, it's meant to sound like that").

Only thing I would nitpick about is the switch seems pointless, I'd just hardwire the unity gain mod and be done with it.  Won't really change the sound and I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would choose to run it stock. (Yeah I'm clutching at straws here).

@Blastronaut yeah the switch and small things like that are what Tim does sometimes. He only makes small runs of his pedals (I think he released 6 of those Spitting Cobras), often just variations of another pedal he's already made - this was a variation of his FY-2 Fuzz Box which I wanted but could never get.

Always prices them the same and often makes pedals for charity. The guy is a bit of a legend, although he'd hate to called that. He's built stuff for J. Mascis, Bob Mould and a bunch of local musos you probably haven't heard of.

He frowns on anyone he catches selling his pedals for a profit, no matter how rare they are. So if you sell it on, you only ever charge what you paid for it and he was evicted from his shop that he'd had for ten year in Brisbane earlier this year and is trying to come to terms with that.

4 hours ago, sammynb said:

Nice guitar, not cheap though is it?

I've got a solid cedar Seagull S6 which was great value and is a great acoustic guitar.

Funnily enough, I used to have a Simon & Patrick acoustic which is the sister company to Seagull (they're all part of Godin, I believe). A nice chunky dreadnought which I got when I lived in San Francisco and now wish I'd never sold. 

The Faith is £750 which is pretty good for what you get - it's solid Trembesi front back and sides, which is this figured Indonesian wood (think somewhere between Mahogany and Koa in looks). Abalone rosette, ebony bridge and fingerboard, satin mahogany neck. 

In fact here's a pic:

Screenshot_20210522-050339_Chrome.thumb.jpg.573f03330b27c7020cc1c6b7b36f3559.jpg

PS @Toonpack

... Assuming the lad who's meant to be coming to pick it up today wasn't taking the piss, the Rose Gold Sex Machine lasted all of 3 hours on FB Marketplace before being snapped up. :razz:

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Funnily enough, I used to have a Simon & Patrick acoustic which is the sister company to Seagull (they're all part of Godin, I believe). A nice chunky dreadnought which I got when I lived in San Francisco and now wish I'd never sold. 

The Faith is £750 which is pretty good for what you get - it's solid Trembesi front back and sides, which is this figured Indonesian wood (think somewhere between Mahogany and Koa in looks). Abalone rosette, ebony bridge and fingerboard, satin mahogany neck. 

In fact here's a pic:

Screenshot_20210522-050339_Chrome.thumb.jpg.573f03330b27c7020cc1c6b7b36f3559.jpg

PS @Toonpack

... Assuming the lad who's meant to be coming to pick it up today wasn't taking the piss, the Rose Gold Sex Machine lasted all of 3 hours on FB Marketplace before being snapped up. :razz:

Eurovision induced impulse buy obviously 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Gemmill said:

20210522_120934_compress26.thumb.jpg.4d856013b3845347eaa46d0a7ca2fc4c.jpg

Sambora time! 

I know bugger all about the company but looks like a really well made guitar. Shame you had to go and ruin it by mentioning Sambora.

19 hours ago, sammynb said:

@Blastronaut yeah the switch and small things like that are what Tim does sometimes. He only makes small runs of his pedals (I think he released 6 of those Spitting Cobras), often just variations of another pedal he's already made - this was a variation of his FY-2 Fuzz Box which I wanted but could never get.

Always prices them the same and often makes pedals for charity. The guy is a bit of a legend, although he'd hate to called that. He's built stuff for J. Mascis, Bob Mould and a bunch of local musos you probably haven't heard of.

He frowns on anyone he catches selling his pedals for a profit, no matter how rare they are. So if you sell it on, you only ever charge what you paid for it and he was evicted from his shop that he'd had for ten year in Brisbane earlier this year and is trying to come to terms with that.

I'll concede I was tempted to have a dig at his prices until I checked the exchange rate and realised (most of) his stuff actually looks incredibly good value. Those enclosures look great too, a bit of a break from the norm.

It's the half-assed, overpriced and overhyped stuff Analog Mike and the like put out that really winds me up. Not that he needs the blessings of cunts like me but if this Tym's stuff sounds as good as it looks he's alright in my book, and that's before even mentioning the Mascis and Bob Mould link, nor the unexpected Teenage Fanclub themed boost pedal he has listed. 

30 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

I know bugger all about the company but looks like a really well made guitar. Shame you had to go and ruin it by mentioning Sambora.

Cheers. I'm no Sambora fan btw. :lol:

Faith is Patrick James Eggle's budget acoustic range. So all the guitars are designed by him and a lot of the innovative stuff he does with his top end Eggle guitars finds its way into these too. Made in Indonesia but really high quality control - I can't spot a fault on it, the flame maple binding is perfect, which is usually where you'll see fuck ups. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Cheers. I'm no Sambora fan btw. :lol:

Faith is Patrick James Eggle's budget acoustic range. So all the guitars are designed by him and a lot of the innovative stuff he does with his top end Eggle guitars finds its way into these too. Made in Indonesia but really high quality control - I can't spot a fault on it, the flame maple binding is perfect, which is usually where you'll see fuck ups. 

You had me worried there like. I honestly had to cut ties with one of my favourite boozers thanks to one regular latching onto me that wouldn't shut the fuck up about Bon Jovi.

750 sure as fuck isn't my idea of budget range though. Hope it plays as well as it looks. 

3 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

I'll concede I was tempted to have a dig at his prices until I checked the exchange rate and realised (most of) his stuff actually looks incredibly good value. Those enclosures look great too, a bit of a break from the norm.

It's the half-assed, overpriced and overhyped stuff Analog Mike and the like put out that really winds me up. Not that he needs the blessings of cunts like me but if this Tym's stuff sounds as good as it looks he's alright in my book, and that's before even mentioning the Mascis and Bob Mould link, nor the unexpected Teenage Fanclub themed boost pedal he has listed. 

I totally forgot about the Fanies pedal, did you read about it? He actually made a pedal for Norman and then did a limited run with NB's blessing.

Btw that one overpriced pedal which I know would have offended your Scottish sensibilities, is a donation to the Sea Shepherd charity, hence why it is expensive. Tim's blog is an interesting read if you've the time and inclination.

I totally forgot about the Fanies pedal, did you read about it? He actually made a pedal for Norman and then did a limited run with NB's blessing.

Btw that one overpriced pedal which I know would have offended your Scottish sensibilities, is a donation to the Sea Shepherd charity, hence why it is expensive. Tim's blog is an interesting read if you've the time and inclination.

Ah that makes sense with the Sea Shepherd. I didn't really have much of a read on any of them bar the FY2, just a quick scroll through his shop. 

Too good to be true. I'll do some digging and see if I can find any dirt on him. (Joking like, but I'll try to make time to read over his blog. Seems like a good guy).

How is the FY2 btw? You a big Jesus and Mary Chain fan or do you just hate your neighbours? Can't be be much of an audience for those kinda sounds.

Edited by Blastronaut

:lol:

On 23/05/2021 at 09:31, sammynb said:

I totally forgot about the Fanies pedal, did you read about it?

4 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

:lol:

I know you're a 30 year old virgin Quiff but fannies has two Ns (and sometimes a cock) in it!

3 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Used to be called a Fuzz Box before everyone started shaving. :lol:

4 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

How is the FY2 btw? You a big Jesus and Mary Chain fan or do you just hate your neighbours? Can't be be much of an audience for those kinda sounds.

Haven't got it yet, should be here by the end of the week and yes both! More the JMC fan but my neighbours are cunts.

Edited by sammynb

15 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I've had more fannies than you've had low quality steaks on the barbie, gringo!

Hahahahahahahahahaha - I'm a vegetarian you womble.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...