The Guitar Thread

Tom

https://orangeamps.com/product/custom-guitar/

Have you seen this thing? Nearly 4 grand ffs! I mean would you not just get something from the Fender custom shop or drop a bit more for something from the Gibson custom shop. 

At least you'd be in with a shot at some resale value. And you'd have something that didn't look like this thing looks. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gemmill said:

https://orangeamps.com/product/custom-guitar/

Have you seen this thing? Nearly 4 grand ffs! I mean would you not just get something from the Fender custom shop or drop a bit more for something from the Gibson custom shop. 

At least you'd be in with a shot at some resale value. And you'd have something that didn't look like this thing looks. 

"This Custom Guitar was designed by Orange’s Technical Director Adrian Emsley "

Nothing but a weird vanity project, like you say, who on earth is buying that? 

Yeh the price is absolutely insane. 

Their amps are amazing but their attempts at guitars have always looked wank, never mind for £4k

Josh Scott in good form here. I expected to see a mention of the old Randall RG series or the Laney amps from the same era but honestly no complaints, the oddball stuff he's found here really renders them all obsolete, even that really shitty looking DOD "grunge" amp.

12 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Josh Scott in good form here. I expected to see a mention of the old Randall RG series or the Laney amps from the same era but honestly no complaints, the oddball stuff he's found here really renders them all obsolete, even that really shitty looking DOD "grunge" amp.

The Electro Harmonix amp looks and sounds a find, the Vox Pathfinders are a dime a dozen here and dirty cheap, would make an interesting option as a second (stereo) amp off a split in the pedal line.

8 hours ago, sammynb said:

The Electro Harmonix amp looks and sounds a find, the Vox Pathfinders are a dime a dozen here and dirty cheap, would make an interesting option as a second (stereo) amp off a split in the pedal line.

I only realised EHX made amps a few years ago when they put out their Mig 50 and Mig 100. Honestly wouldn't mind one of them, the old Sovtek's are great amps.

• 2 weeks later...

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄OMG GET THIS MUGGLE AWAY FROM ME. 

It's an 0-15M, @Andrew. It's solid mahogany all over - back, sides and neck. The 0-15 isn't mass produced by Martin anymore, so this a special run just for the UK market that is built in their custom shop.

I'm told they've refused to do any more cos the numbers don't stack up for Martin cos of the time spent in custom shop vs the sale price they get on these. We'll see though, there'll probably be another batch lands in a month. 🤔

• Like 1

This is an amazing tool for learning the fretboard. It's 15 quid so not cheap but it has loads of functionality and is pretty invaluable in terms of what it offers. 

This is my story

I'd like to think I had a hand getting Thomas McRocklin in the right place at the right time. In 1988 I was at a gig at the City Hall I was looking through the Chronicle during the interval & an advert intrigued me "Junior Jimi Hendrix at the Percy Arms" I went along this was on the Thursday night before Donington which was on the Saturday. I went along & was amazed to see this little kid he was 10 playing a 7 string Ibanez Gem Floral. The only one I'd seen was in the Kerrang & Steve Vai played it. I got talking to Thomas's dad John & said I was going to Donington & it was a shame he wasnt going as Steve Vai was playing in David Lee Roth's band. I was that impressed I gave Thomas my Van Halen t shirt I was wearing saying if your going to be a rock star you'll need a good t shirt. I shook hands with his dad & wished them both well. So that was it or so I thought. A few months later I was watching a programme on heavy metal on tv & right at the end was some footage of Thomas playing at the Moira Arms in Donington village. A few weeks later will reading the Kerrang there was a picture of Steve Vai & Thomas. It turned out his dad took my advice & they drove to Donington on the Friday managed to get Thomas set up in the pub & while was playing a couple of Steve Vais roadies were watching. They arranged for John & Thomas to meet Vai backstage at Vai's caravan Thomas plug his guitar in & Vai was blown away. Eventually Thomas was taken over to America were he featured in the video for The audience is Listening which was played loads on MTV. Eventually Vai got some other talented kids together & formed a band Bad 4 Good. Vai made sure Thomas was looked after he got a deal with Ibanez. I've since spoken with Thomas and when I told him the story he was amazed because he said that's exactly how things happened. He told me Vai was very generous with his time & gifts. He sent Thomas a gold disc for the album Passion & Warfare. He gave him the actual guitar on the album cover. He also gave him the flame guitar that was featured in David Lee Roths " Going Crazy" video. I'd like to think I played a small part in pointing him in the right direction 😁

Edited by trooper
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Yeh the pickup system looks great too. Interesting alt switch.

You always know you’re getting value with Ibanez anyway! They look very sleek for the money mind, they’ve got a shorter scale too.

Id love a Charvel but the price for some of them is insane. In essence they’ve jammed a FR on a Mexican Fender body and whacked some Seymour Duncan’s in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have you seen the custom shop Joe Strummer Esquires? £13k. :lol:

It's a one pick up tele with some stickers on it. Like I'm sure it's a great replica of Strummer's guitar but the point of it was that it was a knockabout one pick up tele with some stickers on it. You'd have to be a serious daft shite to be picking one up for the price of a car. 

https://www.peachguitars.com/fender-custom-shop-ltd-joe-strummer-esquire-relic-mb-jason-smith.htm