The Guitar Thread

Tom

Came across this thing on Trade Me (kiwi ebay) the other day and managed to grab it for a mates birthday (which isn't for about 6 months but he loves Pantera)

258445386_313180917506432_4648145563271244345_n.jpg

Dimebag Crybaby From Hell signature wah.

Never really been much of one for Wahs but I did plug this in, to test it out you know, and it was a lot of fun. Metallica solos really do hit better with one.

• Like 2

Aaah fuck is this a test? I'm an unashamed Pantera fan (actually I take that back, I'm very ashamed and still working through all the stages of grief) but in the Crybaby stakes this is probably a close second favourite behind the Jerry Cantrell signature. 

That said, I couldnt use a wah properly if my life depended on it and rarely ever use one but still love them.

• Like 1

A setup and a restring of the Les Paul today. I can never get my head around how beautifully they age. 

Looking at the rosewood board I can forgive myself of my hatred of modern alternatives. 

The pickups are Bareknuckle Pg blues, modelled on Peter Greens 59 LP

8F0DF47D-74FD-4CE3-8DDD-DC7C9D31CFE3.jpeg

3D33A4C6-EE30-4651-92B7-A6A4E5519B29.jpeg

• Like 3

That's a nice lump of wood. I really like a Les Paul but think I've been converted to SGs now that my back is fucked. Saying that I've never owned a "real" (Gibson) one of either on account of being a tight bastard. 

Wouldn't hold a candle to your LP but the nicest looking rosewood fretboard I've got kicking around is an old Westfield Firebird that arrived by surprise in the post after I'd overdone the Johnnie Walker. Something almost hypnotic about the grain (woodgrain I mean, but probably equally applies to the drink).

Tbh I got that Les Paul in 2005 & the pound was worth $2 so it was massively cheap compared to what today’s guitars are. I.e I think the “classic” now goes for a crazy amount, mine was £999 on the dot. 

I like an SG too like, I’ve got an epiphone which I love. 

Id love to see the firebird! (Despite the fact I couldn’t play it :lol:

That's a bargain for that tbf. I was assuming two or three grand. I'd sooner try carving one out of an old door.

Firebird is awkward as fuck like. I think they carved the body from a railway sleeper, but the neck actually plays really well after a bit of work and the mini-humbuckers are a bit different from anything else I've got. Mostly just hangs on the wall and gathers dust though.

IMG-20220206-192354458.jpg

IMG-20220206-192600236.jpg

Lucked out for £80 but I think they'd misspelled Firebird on the eBay listing and I probably wouldn't have bought it sober. Definitely looks and feels like a Westfield up close. 

• Like 2

That firebird looks fun mind, I’d sharp learn to play one for that price :lol: 

I don’t think I’ve played a Westfield but assuming that’s a glue on neck that’s a hell of a deal.

I thought it was time I contributed to this thread so if you lads with the expertise could give me some advice that would be greatly appreciated. I'm think this guitar is a Gibson but not sure exactly what type? Any ideas?

20220206_202632.jpg

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I thought it was time I contributed to this thread so if you lads with the expertise could give me some advice that would be greatly appreciated. I'm think this guitar is a Gibson but not sure exactly what type? Any ideas?

20220206_202632.jpg

Fuck it I'll humour you. Headstock carve looks a bit off and there's a zero-fret. Looks a bit fake but would need to see a bit more of the body to say for sure.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

That firebird looks fun mind, I’d sharp learn to play one for that price :lol: 

I don’t think I’ve played a Westfield but assuming that’s a glue on neck that’s a hell of a deal.

You've missed out on nothing with Westfield, they were a Scottish distributor in the 90s that sourced cheap guitars from the Far-East and stamped their name on it. Most of it was shite tbh.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

20220206_202632.jpg

Its a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Junior with automatic tuners and brass nut 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

20220206_202632.jpg

That’d be a cunt to tune.

• Haha 2

My Les Paul was the best looking guitar I've ever owned, but there really is something about LPs that does not gel with me.

It was a wrench when I sold it as I really wanted to love it but just didn't, every time I am tempted to try another I pick one up in a shop and remember that they're not for me.

I thought it was scale length related for ages, but I was dispelled of that when I first played my explorer, which is my favourite guitar these days.

My LP fits me like a glove but I tried about 20 guitars to find the right one so I made sure it did at the time. 

I can understand why people don’t like them mind, it’s a lot of wood :lol: 

Compare it to a standard strat and it feels like ancient technology- never mind an actual modern guitar.

Canny! :lol: 

You’d be surprised the amount of gear you’d assume is shite that turns out decent. It’s always nice when something exceeds expectations too & it’s rare!

• Like 1

I honestly expected something like those Marshall Micro Stacks or Danelectro Honey tone things (which would've been fine and did exactly the job I needed it for) but it's great fun and a step above some of the other shit in the £40 amp market. Hats off to Orange.

Obviously cant rival a 12" speaker and it shits the bed a bit on low frequencies if I'm tuned lower than D but its a step above the other £40 tiny amps I've bought and built. I'll probably have it ripped apart within a few weeks to see what poweramp chip it's running. 3w RMS at 8ohms from a 9v battery, my money is on it being a car-stereo type chip but fuck knows. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Looks like I'm picking up a rangemaster from the post office tomorrow morning! Very much looking forward to it, think it will like my 51' Tele a lot

I got one in the post yesterday, looking forward to seeing what noise I can coax out of it. And a big thank you to the man who made it possible, cheers mate,