The Guitar Thread

Tom

10 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Is Chappers still involved with their marketing? I'd bet my mortgage that he also thinks of financial matters in terms of bottles of black label. 

He occasionally pops up. 

Their YouTube is still canny enough but I liked it more when they were objective and would criticise things a bit. 

Im not sure if it the products have got better or if they’re under the influence of company dollar. I suppose both are as likely as each other 

Lee does mention it now and again and I sort of get his point, they're one of the biggest retailers in Europe, they've got massive buying power and influence over various brands and if their stuff was shit and him and his staff didn't like it, he just wouldn't stock it.

Everything tends to come out quite positive on the channel but, tbh, I don't remember the last time I went into a guitar shop and picked up a guitar or piece of gear that was objectively crap rather than actually decent and just not for me. I think the lowest bar has just got higher as good CNC manufacturing got cheaper and easier.

Btw I ended up being out all day and then going out for dinner so that case sat in my cars boot for 12 hours and now its dark, I'll do pictures tomorrow.

• Like 1

Yeh - I think I’m definitely in the same camp as you. Gear has definitely got better. Even the cheap guitars are decent enough.

I got my sister a Squier Mustang for Christmas a couple of years back and it’s a great piece of kit. It was £110 and the neck is glorious. 

Also the higher end Squiers are easily as good as Mexican fenders were when I was growing up. If not better.

Btw I hate trying stuff in shops :lol: 

Apart from sudden whims of “I’m definitely gonna buy it” I’m fairly settled on my Les Paul & Strat with a few other guitars occasionally getting a look in.

• Like 1

It all got out of control for a while and I spent all of my money on them… then vintage synths, then studio gear… that feeling when you pick up a great guitar is a bit of a drug and putting it back just seems wrong 😑😭😁

I know what you mean once you get your main gear but even then… it’s dangerous!

Yeh there’s always something I’ve got my eye on but it feels like a bit of a waste of money because I know unless I spend an absolute fortune it won’t be as good as what I’ve already got. 

Guitars have practically doubled in price since I bought those two. The same Les Paul I got for £999 in 2005 is £2000 now and mine has a £300 pair of upgraded pickups in. It’s insane :lol: 

Yep it was $2 to the £ at the time. Also I think Gibson’s quality control has gone very down hill in the last few years. 

I’ve watched Troglys guitar show on YouTube where he’s playing £5000 Gibson’s that came with finish blemishes.It’s very telling you can get a 2015 Les Paul junior for about £500. Very badly made & unless put through the mill by a proper luthier utter shite. 

If I was buying a Les Paul type these days I’d go for a Maybach.

I’ve never heard of maybach (except the posh Mercedes) I’ll have a gander…

my Les Paul is a Studio from ‘95 and although I tried to find a standard I liked more I didn’t manage to! It was already worn in and just felt nicer than the new ones I tried.

I put some vintage sounding pickups in it but I can’t remember what they’re called at the minute 😬😁

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

I’ve never heard of maybach (except the posh Mercedes) I’ll have a gander…

my Les Paul is a Studio from ‘95 and although I tried to find a standard I liked more I didn’t manage to! It was already worn in and just felt nicer than the new ones I tried.

I put some vintage sounding pickups in it but I can’t remember what they’re called at the minute 😬😁

There a German company who build out of Germany & Croatia but quality wise you get your £5000 Les Paul for less than £2000.

Some of the studios sound great tbh

2 hours ago, Asprilla said:

Throbak is the name of the pickups….

I never went all that far down the pickup rabbit hole but there's a UK company called Legendary Pickups that might be worth a look. Really reasonably priced for handwound pickups. Don't really know the guy personally but my missus went to college with him and he seems to know his stuff.

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Case in point.

”it’s a little pricey” 

Its £9000 :lol: 

My daughter bought a Miku Pophead recently. I had no idea it was an anime character outside of that ridiculous Korg pedal. 

Alright here you go, Schecter Nick Johnston in what I think is called "atomic pink" plus a special chair for Tom.

It is very easy to play would be my description, the neck is thin and that roasted matte finish is super easy to move around on. I really like the brass circle inlays.

20220320_103136.jpg

20220320_103216.jpg

20220320_103245.jpg

• Like 2

Glad for that 3rd photo. I was squinting at the first two thinking "what inlays?". Looks like a nice bit of kit though. This isn't a criticism but just reminded me of something that baffled me for years: why do so many strat style guitars have the truss rod adjustment at the heel? Is there was a reason beyond discouraging shitheads that don't know what theyre doing from fucking about with it?

As an aside, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I'm so far out of the loop that I had to look up Nick Johnston only to find he's had Guthrie Govan, Marco Minnemann and Paul Gilbert play for him.