The Guitar Thread

Tom

@Tom nice to see you're getting some use out of the treble boost! I wouldn't have associated it with Van Halen but it does have a some similarities with a slow phaser at the "peak" of it travel. Theres loads of Rory Gallagher footage that had folk speculating he must've be using a phaser but for my money its all Rangemaster (and maybe some badly wired cabs).

@Blastronaut

I use it all the time tbh :lol: 

Its especially useful for me as I loop a lot & it helps create different layers of sounds more effectively. So sometimes I’ll make a loop with the regular pedals and if I’m playing lead I’ll put that over the top. 

Looking forward to actually recording with it too

• Like 1

Nice. I still need to get to grips with my looper, still really hit or miss if I get it in sync. I probabaly just need to practice with a metronome until it clicks (or just practice more in general).

> sometimes I’ll make a loop with the regular pedals and if I’m playing lead I’ll put that over the top. Looking forward to actually recording with it too.

Aye the Rangemaster should cut through any mix like cold nipples through glass. 32dB centered around the upper mids and top end right up to 10kHz is lunacy by today's standards. I love mines, only ever swap it off my board for downtuned sludgy doom stuff.

• Like 1

The fret wrap is bloody handy btw :lol: 

Its the small things that can make a big difference. Obviously not suitable for all types of playing but great for sweep picking and isolating the more “expressive” side of the floyd rose, which sounds fantastic without any interference.

Tempted to get one for the Les Paul/Strat. Nice bit of kit for £10. I’m aware you can use a sock or whatever but this is adjustable, smart & doesn’t smell.

FC56AFCF-E96C-4FBB-8DAB-B57CA48695B3.jpeg

• Like 1

Picked this up yesterday….probably going to clean it uo and resell having had a play. 

Epiphone Riviera P93 Custom Shop/Limited Edition. Beautiful, guitar and not a mark on it. I don’t get on with Bigsby’s or P90s, I use too much drive for the latter.

Not my sofa btw, this is at my mams.

DA10509B-6E13-474A-8ABE-8B4F94ACF4AD.jpeg

• Like 1

We have a big thing about furniture in this thread and honestly is the best policy. So rather than being defensive I was merely being….transparent.

• Like 2

Anyway basically the point of the post was in anyone wants it off here they can have it for £450. 

Which is cheap as it’s spotless and nice. 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 16/06/2022 at 14:41, Tom said:

Picked this up yesterday….probably going to clean it uo and resell having had a play. 

Epiphone Riviera P93 Custom Shop/Limited Edition. Beautiful, guitar and not a mark on it. I don’t get on with Bigsby’s or P90s, I use too much drive for the latter.

Looks a beaut. I've huge soft spot for these and the Gretsch semi-hollows, really love the sound and feel of them but they're a bit of a headache to work on at the best of times and a lovecraftian nightmare to fix if someone else has already been in there and fucked about with the wiring.

P90's should still be viable for high gain. Pickups aren't my forte but in most scenarios id have thought they could be made to do a job. Jason from Legendary Pickups might a good shout to talk to on that subject, he's a high-gain junkie and knows P90's inside out.

• Like 1

Aye, cup aside (as amusingly accurate as it is) it honestly made my day to see that here of all place. Wylie's pedals are fascinating but rare as fuck and as far I'm aware most of the schematics and designs all died with him. I think a majority of his work is still a total mystery.

I know a few guys from a pedal forum that eventually got there hands on a Moonrock and collectively recreated it, then spent a fuck ton of time essentially just trying to guess what improvements Wylie made with the even rarer New Moon. They eventually ended up with a much more versatile version of the Moonrock but nobody really knows how close to the New Moon it really is. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Gemmill, got the Epiphone SG back from the Guitar Elf you recommended the other day. 
Replaced three frets, new strings, did a “set-up” whatever the fuck that is, and showed me how to adjust the action for the Fistlet, for £65. 

Said Fistlet is over the moon with it. 👍

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

@Gemmill, got the Epiphone SG back from the Guitar Elf you recommended the other day. 
Replaced three frets, new strings, did a “set-up” whatever the fuck that is, and showed me how to adjust the action for the Fistlet, for £65. 

Said Fistlet is over the moon with it. 👍

Mint. He's a nice bloke and he fucking hates the Tories too. That's a really fair price too. 

• Like 1

Aye, we had a fairly good chat :lol:

He also filled the little dent on the back, to stop it getting any worse. 

Really nice bloke and, even as a guitar-numpty, I could tell he really knows his shit. 

I’ll be taking his other guitar to him for a service once I’ve got my HGV sorted. 

I'll back Gemmill up on that being a really fair price, there's folk that will charge close to £50 for just a setup. 

Get Fist jnr onto YouTube videos like Canadian Dave's and he'll be setting up his own guitars in no time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom said:

There's a lad in Durham wanted £75 for a setup. I told him where to go :lol: 

Fucking Hell. Was that just a flat rate for a basic setup? I could maybe understand that if a guitar was in terrible nick and needed a few hours work and some new parts, but even if they threw in a new set of strings that's an absolute con for just a basic setup.

On 16/06/2022 at 14:41, Tom said:

Somehow traded the Riveria for this....🤯

F13F55D5-A95F-4257-ACE0-04D9D098D7B0.jpeg

• Like 3

Marty Mcfly eat your heart out. Can almost smell the nitrocellulose. Love an SG, I was a late convert but the smallest hill I'm still willing to die on is maintaing Les Paul made a huge mistake not wanting his name on these.

Yeh I've got an Epiphone SG with Les Pauls name on it....like a 61 or something. 

The nitro on this Gibson has aged beautifully mind, even more beautifully given I got the Riveria for errr....£250 :lol: 

I mean I know it's an expensive guitar but there are some steals on gumtree