The Guitar Thread

Tom

On 28/07/2022 at 16:20, Tom said:

Bizarrely I had a pedalboard clean/rebuild and changed the order of some stuff and the Charvel seems a lot tamer (when it needs to be :lol: ) and a lot wilder when it doesn't need to be.

May have been some kind of cable/power issue 🤣

Ha. might just be an pedal impedance issue if just re-arranging the pedal chain solved it.

If it makes you feel any better I lose the fucking plot at my pedal board all the time. Last time was down to me forgetting I have buffer/splitter hidden underneath thats always on, but I'd borrowed the DC jack to test something the night before.

Been offered a trade for my 51 tele. A 2006 60s RI flying v. 

Im looking around for a value for this thing as i do like the guitar but the moneys got to balance for me to let the custom shop tele go.

Anyone know what the v might actually be worth? Im struggling to track one down thats for sale. 

imagejpeg_4.jpg

16 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Ha. might just be an pedal impedance issue if just re-arranging the pedal chain solved it.

If it makes you feel any better I lose the fucking plot at my pedal board all the time. Last time was down to me forgetting I have buffer/splitter hidden underneath thats always on, but I'd borrowed the DC jack to test something the night before.

Aye I don't really understand the technical side of the electronics but wouldn't mind learning. 

It can be a frustrating hobby, from the ultra complicated to a 1940s 6mm input jack packing in :lol: 

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Been offered a trade for my 51 tele. A 2006 60s RI flying v. 

Im looking around for a value for this thing as i do like the guitar but the moneys got to balance for me to let the custom shop tele go.

Anyone know what the v might actually be worth? Im struggling to track one down thats for sale. 

imagejpeg_4.jpg

I haven't researched this too heavily but I think the V will be drastically short of what the telecaster is worth. 

Also....Vs are horrible to play, even with the leg grip. If you're just playing in the house I'd get something more conventional.

45 minutes ago, Tom said:

I haven't researched this too heavily but I think the V will be drastically short of what the telecaster is worth. 

Also....Vs are horrible to play, even with the leg grip. If you're just playing in the house I'd get something more conventional.

Aye this was my take too. 

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Aye I don't really understand the technical side of the electronics but wouldn't mind learning. 

If you can solder a little, pedal kits from somewhere like Fuzzdog might be worth a look. If you just want to read a bit about it what's going on in circuits there's websites like this that go quite in depth on the function of each component in some Amps and pedal circuits.  https://www.electrosmash.com/dallas-rangemaster

@Andrew no idea what it's worth. Even if it is worth as much as the Tele, something makes me think a lefty V would be a lot harder to shift in future than a lefty Custom Shop Tele. 

@Gemmill @Tom @Blastronaut

I did manage to get a little further with some digging, its actually an '05 which makes it a 67 reissue.

Now obviously thats not worth as much as the Tele so I'm into cash + guitar territory. I think I'll take it if the moneys right though, the Tele isn't really doing anything for me these days and I do like the V.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

@Gemmill @Tom @Blastronaut

I did manage to get a little further with some digging, its actually an '05 which makes it a 67 reissue.

Now obviously thats not worth as much as the Tele so I'm into cash + guitar territory. I think I'll take it if the moneys right though, the Tele isn't really doing anything for me these days and I do like the V.

Is this the same V you mentioned a few months ago? I'm guessing they're much rarer than a Custom Shop Tele, especially a lefty model, I'd just be concerned it would be a bit harder to shift if you didn't get on with it. 

Im probabaly the last person you should listen to on this though. My go-to advice when I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about is just have a wank and then go for a drink. If it still seems like a good idea then go for it, life's too short. In your shoes I'd probably want a shot of the V first but I wouldn't look at it as a financial decision.

20 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Is this the same V you mentioned a few months ago? I'm guessing they're much rarer than a Custom Shop Tele, especially a lefty model, I'd just be concerned it would be a bit harder to shift if you didn't get on with it. 

Im probabaly the last person you should listen to on this though. My go-to advice when I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about is just have a wank and then go for a drink. If it still seems like a good idea then go for it, life's too short. In your shoes I'd probably want a shot of the V first but I wouldn't look at it as a financial decision.

I believe so yes, I did regret flat batting that away at the time so I'm pleased its come back around.

I think on rarity a V vs a Tele you'd be right, but not this V vs this Tele.

47 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I believe so yes, I did regret flat batting that away at the time so I'm pleased its come back around.

I think on rarity a V vs a Tele you'd be right, but not this V vs this Tele.

If you've played it, liked it and want it, it seems like a no brainer to me. That said I've never managed to marry guitar purchases with sensible financial decisions.

2 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

If you've played it, liked it and want it, it seems like a no brainer to me. That said I've never managed to marry guitar purchases with sensible financial decisions.

Playing guitars before buying them is a luxury for the right handed bourgeois :razz:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Andrew said:

Playing guitars before buying them is a luxury for the right handed bourgeois :razz:

Ha, that's fair,  I forget how limited your options are. Must be a right ballache.

I'm curious now though, do you think there's potentially an untapped market for left handed pedals?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Ha, that's fair,  I forget how limited your options are. Must be a right ballache.

I'm curious now though, do you think there's potentially an untapped market for left handed pedals?

I once convinced a lad I worked with in France that he’d have to take a special test before he could ride a French moped as they were left-hand drive. 

Poor fucker was genuinely gutted as he didn’t speak French so thought he’d fail. :lol:

• Haha 5

Dunno if this is the right thread, but I guess you're all audiophiles.

I want an amp to live between the turntable and the speakers. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

37 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Dunno if this is the right thread, but I guess you're all audiophiles.

I want an amp to live between the turntable and the speakers. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

As in hifi separates? If it's just for the turntable and you don't have radio or cd you also want to hook up, it might be worth looking at active speakers instead. 

2 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

As in hifi separates? If it's just for the turntable and you don't have radio or cd you also want to hook up, it might be worth looking at active speakers instead. 

Teach Me Benedict Cumberbatch GIF

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Teach Me Benedict Cumberbatch GIF

In short, passive speakers need an external amp, active speakers already have an amplifier built in. Search on Google for Active Hifi Speakers and you'll find loads of options. The important bit in Gemmills link is probably the "RCA input" bit so add that to the Google search. 

Those ones Gemmill linked should do the job and look decent to me on paper. Those controls being on the right hand side of the right speaker looks like it could be a ballache depending on where you put the speakers though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I already have speakers though, so...

You'll want to check the load (ohm's), power rating (watts) and what type of connection they use. Should say on the back somewhere. 

Assuming they have an RCA/Photoconnection, something like the "Fosi Audio TB10A" on Amazon would be a really cheap (and basic) option that would probabaly get you by. 

• Like 1

It's all good. Tbh there's loads of options. I'd personally look at something with at last some more EQ options and maybe Bluetooth. But I'm a tight bastard and would likely end up just cobbling something together from some old car stereo parts.